Coolant Change 03 Ls430

Bigkondor

I am planning on changing coolant and thermostat on 03 LS 430. I already got the Toyota Long life coolant. They are proud of that stuff, $53 for 2 gallons. I am new to Lexus, but the capacities seem low to the stuff (American) stuff I have played with. 10 qts for coolant, 4.5 qts oil? I had a Lincoln Mark VIII with a 32 valve that took 6 qts oil! Anyway was also surprised that the Toyota dealer had to call the Lexus dealer to get thermostat part number, weird...Anyway, is there anything specific about the coolant change on these?? I have had some cars with bleeders, since the radiator was below top of engine, dont see one here.. Any tips would be appreciated. Also this car has 57K miles, dont see anything in manual about trans fluid change. If the stupid thing had a dipstick, I would change it myself. I have had a few cars with no dipstick, cant figure out why?? This was a $70K car new?? Any feedback on the trans fluid change. This car has always lived in South Florida, so I would think the fluid should be changed..

I am planning on changing coolant and thermostat on 03 LS 430. I already got the Toyota Long life coolant. They are proud of that stuff, $53 for 2 gallons. I am new to Lexus, but the capacities seem low to the stuff (American) stuff I have played with. 10 qts for coolant, 4.5 qts oil? I had a Lincoln Mark VIII with a 32 valve that took 6 qts oil! Anyway was also surprised that the Toyota dealer had to call the Lexus dealer to get thermostat part number, weird...Anyway, is there anything specific about the coolant change on these?? I have had some cars with bleeders, since the radiator was below top of engine, dont see one here.. Any tips would be appreciated. Also this car has 57K miles, dont see anything in manual about trans fluid change. If the stupid thing had a dipstick, I would change it myself. I have had a few cars with no dipstick, cant figure out why?? This was a $70K car new?? Any feedback on the trans fluid change. This car has always lived in South Florida, so I would think the fluid should be changed..

Ha HA you owned a Mark 8 and you criticize Lexus now that's funny. Coolant changed takes 20mins and is easy as pie. and yes a 03 has a trans dipstick I would give you more info but I can't stop laughing.

Ha HA you owned a Mark 8 and you criticize Lexus now that's funny. Coolant changed takes 20mins and is easy as pie. and yes a 03 has a trans dipstick I would give you more info but I can't stop laughing.

[/quote

So...does anyone have anything intelligent to ad.. Or do I look elsewhere?

I don't have detailed info on the 430, but will tell you that the LS400 has very nice drain valves on each side of the block to drain the coolant from the engine. Takes a 10mm socket to open if I remember correctly. Plus, there is a drain !Removed! on the bottom of the radiator. You can put a length of plastic hose on the end of the engine block valves to direct the flow if you like.

As concerns the tranny fluid, (again, talking LS400), there is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission pan that will drain about 2 quarts at a time.

If you plan to DIY, climb under the car and take a look for these drain valves. I am not yet familiar with the LS430. That is why I cannot say for sure. Let us know what you find.

I don't have detailed info on the 430, but will tell you that the LS400 has very nice drain valves on each side of the block to drain the coolant from the engine. Takes a 10mm socket to open if I remember correctly. Plus, there is a drain !Removed! on the bottom of the radiator. You can put a length of plastic hose on the end of the engine block valves to direct the flow if you like.

As concerns the tranny fluid, (again, talking LS400), there is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission pan that will drain about 2 quarts at a time.

If you plan to DIY, climb under the car and take a look for these drain valves. I am not yet familiar with the LS430. That is why I cannot say for sure. Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the info, even if you dont know all the answers..Doing this next week, will repost details.

Thanks for the info, even if you dont know all the answers..Doing this next week, will repost details.

FYI I just open the drain(you have to remove the cover running over the radiator to see the drain). You will also see a hole though the lower cover that you can put a pan under to catch the old coolant. Take the radiator cap and the reservoir cap off. This should drain the radiator and 1 gal of antifreeze 50/50 toyota red should be all that is needed. After you refill the radiator and with the engine warming up put the caps back on and have the vent on top of the thermostat housing open and use this to let the air out and the final filling is added here. After a drive top off the Reservoir. Do this once or twice a year and your fluid will stay fresh.

• 1 month later...

the cooland in your '03 should be fine for 90k mi. thats why its called "LONG life". I work at a dealer, and we dont change the long life coolant until timing belt/water pump change at 90k. Yes there are drains on both sides of the block, they are 10mm. I wouldnt do anything with the coolant until 90k. It isnt necessary.

• 10 months later...

the cooland in your '03 should be fine for 90k mi. thats why its called "LONG life". I work at a dealer, and we dont change the long life coolant until timing belt/water pump change at 90k. Yes there are drains on both sides of the block, they are 10mm. I wouldnt do anything with the coolant until 90k. It isnt necessary.

Well the owners manual recommends coolant change at 30000 miles or 3 years. So, I think I will go with they say.

Well the owners manual recommends coolant change at 30000 miles or 3 years. So, I think I will go with they say.

Yep, 3 yrs is what I do. It is still a little excessive, IMO, but coolant is cheap in comparison to a corroded cooling system.

Yep, 3 yrs is what I do. It is still a little excessive, IMO, but coolant is cheap in comparison to a corroded cooling system.

It was a very simple procedure. Since this is still under an extended warranty hope there are no problems down the road since this is the first time its been changed. I dont think the dealer will buy "but a Lexus mechanic on a Lexus board said dont worry til 90K." The coolant did look virgin though at 62K miles.

• 1 year later...

2001 LS430, 160k

Replaced the timing belt at 80k. Annual summer trip to Vegas from LA. Engine temperature normal all those trips. Just this past weekend, with the A/C running, outside temperature about 107 F, the engine temperature got a full notch higher while climbing the grade. It got back to normal the minute it reached the top of the grade. It's time to replace the timing belt/coolant once again. That red stuff is well worth the money! and for me last a good 5 years, 80k.

Correction. Checked the receipt. Have the timing belt/coolant change/water pump at 101k instead, on 10/2007. Just need a radiator flush, which was not done in 2007, and new coolant.