Radiator Fluid Flush?!?

1UZFE

hi all,

i went to get my oil changed and they tried to sell me on a $70 radiator fluid flush? the guy showed me what i can only describe as turkey-baster with four colored balls in it. then he pointed to the line that stated, "NOT SAFE." he told me i had enough in there but it wasn't "protecting my radiator."

i've got over 75K miles. i don't think it's ever been flushed. but how do i really know if i need to? is there any additive i can buy?

thanks everyone,

don

Several comments have been made about never mixing red and green coolant. What happens if you do?

Several comments have been made about never mixing red and green coolant. What happens if you do?

My mothers Buick LeSabre has the green coolant in it. Then I did a partial coolant change using the Toyota Red. Big mistake. About 6 months later I looked inside the radiator and the core tubes were all covered and alot of them were blocked by a whitish crust like material - probably silicates that were in the green coolant and fell out of suspension.

Bottom line: mixing Toyota red and green coolant = clogged radiator = engine that runs hot = dead

engine eventually unless the radiator is replaced before the engine overheats.

what the hell have i started?! my head is spinning!

here's what i got so far:

the green is bad if and only if you previously used purple. if you used blue, or plan on using lavender in the future, stick with pink. red is cool only during the month of may, but if you used taupe last leap year your radiator just might blow up.

• 2 months later...

:lol:

Same here. I like the comment. I've done some additional research on this subject. Going Red is best because of silocate which will prevent build-up.

I am withdrawing my previous statement of sticking with Green with Distilled water will do the job. :cries:

Regarding coolant, I just bought a gallon of Peak Global Extended Life Antifreeze and Coolant. It states that:

150,000 Mile / 5 year protection.

Provides a patented advanced organic technology that can be used in all automobiles, regardless of make, model, year, or original antifreeze color.

Formulated for use in all American, Asian, and European automobiles.

Can be used to top off any color of automotive antifreeze, including green, yellow, orange, fushia, blue, and RED.

Good enough for me. Cost $8.50 at Pep Boys.

• 1 month later...

I'm not the -smart car guy- buy can any1 give me a step by step flushing and refilling of engine coolant for a 92 LS 400?? I dont even kno where the filler plug is on mine... but the engine coolant resevoir is very noticeable -up top- and it seems the resevoir is out of coolant

What I did was:

1. Purchased from Toyota dealer the Red fluid

2. Brought it to JiffyLube for them to use machine to flush the coolant system and at the same time refilled using the red fluid I brought.

Cost: $70

Ok... so im about to follow this tutorial, BUT, my dad says that i shouldn't jack up the car, cause the LS 400 is too heavy.. this is absolute crap right? as long as i jack it up to metal and put ramps on it, it'll be fine - we only have ramps -, but the tutorial of your friend said use ramps so thats good, but do i jack it to the axel? i dont even kno what to jack it too lol, im so incompetent

What it means is that you use a tool called 'torque wrench' to tighten things (bolts, etc...) to a specific force so that the bolts are not too tight they can be stripped, hard to remove later on... This torque wrench can be purchased at Sears, Auto stores and come with different setting ranges eg. from 0 - 80 lbs, 20-120 lbs...http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?productname=Torque+Wrench&productid=106276&producttype=10&referer=1469

see attachment. Where the jack stand is (behind the front wheel and front of rear wheel), you will see a break in a continuous metal line and that is where you put your jack

SEE ANY CAR OWNER MANUAL UNDER FLAT TIRE AND IT WILL TELL YOU

post-4-1087569759.jpg