How To Turn Off Fresh Air Without Recirculating Cabin Air

Hi - I have a 2008 RX 350 and the only issue I have with it is that I can't seem to keep air from coming through center dash vents without turning on the air recirculator. I don't want fresh air and I don't want recirculated cabin air - is there a way to do this?

• 1 month later...

Hi - I have a 2008 RX 350 and the only issue I have with it is that I can't seem to keep air from coming through center dash vents without turning on the air recirculator. I don't want fresh air and I don't want recirculated cabin air - is there a way to do this?

In the 'climate' screen on your nav you can turn off the fan altogether, which will prevent any air (recirc or otherwise) from coming through the vents.

• 4 months later...

In the 'climate' screen on your nav you can turn off the fan altogether, which will prevent any air (recirc or otherwise) from coming through the vents.

Hey RX guy. This is not the response we are looking for. When starting the car in the cold mornings, we do not want cold air coming out of the dash vents while the system is waiting for the heat to generate. When the system is waiting for heat, no air whatsoever should come out of the vents. Is this a problem with the duct doors not closing tightly or is there a way to keep all air from coming through the vents until the heat is ready to come on.

Hey RX guy. This is not the response we are looking for. When starting the car in the cold mornings, we do not want cold air coming out of the dash vents while the system is waiting for the heat to generate. When the system is waiting for heat, no air whatsoever should come out of the vents. Is this a problem with the duct doors not closing tightly or is there a way to keep all air from coming through the vents until the heat is ready to come on.

Okay.. I thought I answered your question, but I guess your particular situation is a bit more complicated than I thought. Hopefully you'll get a better answer soon!

Are you using the AUTO mode? I find that in Auto mode the fan stays very low until the engine warms up, then the fan kicks on to give heat. If you turn the system OFF the fan will not be used, and you can still have it in fresh air mode with outside air coming in as you drive.

In what car does the ac/heating system work that way? It's either ON or OFF. If it's ON, it's going to blow out whatever air it "can" heat (or cool) based on whichever fan speed you've set. If it's OFF, then it's not going to heat (or cool) nor blow any air.

I would suggest setting the temp to MAX HOT (or whatever temp you're looking for) and set the fan speed to "LOW" and close your vent. The system will still produce heat to whichever temp you've set, it'll just blow it at a lower speed... Then, increase the fan speed later on and open your vent.

You could close the centre vents manually to stop air from blowing through them I guess. I'm not quite sure what you are asking for here. If you don't want cold air blowing from the vents, leave the climate control OFF, turn on the RECIRC button and wait till the coolant is hot enough. With the climate control OFF, the fan won't blow, and with the RECIRC ON, you won't get cold outside air through the vents from air blowing in as you drive.

However, when in auto mode, the fan won't even come on until the coolant is hot enough to prevent cold air from blowing. So, I'm thinking the air flow you are feeling is just from air blowing in as the car is moving (this is normal and will only be stopped if the RECIRC is on).