2007 Rx 350, Engine Rattles

Bought a 2007 RX 350 Certified Pre Owned with 37000 miles last month. Everything was good until I realized a rattle/knocking sound from the engine. Noise gradually fades away within a couple of miles of drive. Seems like as soon as the engine warms up the noise goes away. Took it to the Lexus service center and left there for them to check. Technician said he could not hear any noise but mentioned that a fluid (do not remember what that fluid was) was low and could be cause for the noise. Filled the fluid for free. Noice was gone but reappeared after a couple of days later. This annoying noise is louder in the morning after an over night parking. Called the service center again. This time I left the vehicle at the service center overnight and went next morning to demonstrate the noise. Thank God, their technician agreed that he hears the noise. Couple of hours later got a call from the service center saying that the noise is normal and nothing to worry and also said that they observe similar noice from another vehicle on their lot with a similar mileage as mine.

I am very disappointed to hear from Lexus saying that an "annoying noise" is "normal" from a Luxury SUV. Did anyone experienced similar problem? Is there a fix for it?

I am very disappointed to hear from Lexus saying that an "annoying noise" is "normal" from a Luxury SUV. Did anyone experienced similar problem? Is there a fix for it?

Yes...it is "normal". Took my wife's 09 RX350 to the dealer to have a recall performed. While there, I also mentioned the same noise you're experiencing. It's noticeable from cold start until engine warms up...usually the first 5-10 minutes. It has done this since the day we bought it new. They said they'd check it out.

The '10 RX350 they provided for us to drive did EXACTLY the same thing.

There is no known fix to my knowledge.

I agree...a luxury SUV should NOT make such noises, but I know of no recourse.

scottq60,

I was very agonised when I heard from Lexus service center that the noise is normal. Thanks for your response. You made me feel much better. I may trade-in this car after driving it for a while. I do NOT feel good, especially, when my 7 year old boy says "Daddy, your new car is making weird noise" :( .

scottq60,

I was very agonised when I heard from Lexus service center that the noise is normal. Thanks for your response. You made me feel much better. I may trade-in this car after driving it for a while. I do NOT feel good, especially, when my 7 year old boy says "Daddy, your new car is making weird noise" :( .

My wife and I decided we're gonna keep hers and drive it until the wheels fall off...maybe buy an extended warranty before the initial powertrain warranty expires. Hers has ~23k miles on it, and other than that start-up clatter and the recall, it's been the best vehicle we've owned yet. NO matter who builds them, (unfortunately) they all have problems of one sort or another. I don't think my heart could stand it if I ever encountered a TRULY FLAWLESS vehicle. They're all assembled by humans, so mistakes/flaws are inherent. That was a VERY difficult realization for me. When we bought her Lexus, we thought it would be perfect, and while it's not, it's the closest overall that we've owned.