Lexus Trashed

Sonic2719

a few nights ago i was driving home and as i went around a long curve my wheels started spinning and i got thrown into a ditch. i was able to get it pulled out and towed home. towed it to the macanic and he said it was totalled! i was amazed because there is NO body damage at all. to clarify the seriousness of the spin out i did a 180 and was in the ditch going backward and went over a mound of earth like a culvert or a driveway flew in the air and landed and came to an abrupt stop. i did drive the car for a mile or so until i pulled to a light and the car just wouldn't move. the macanic says its totalled i am having an insurance inspector come in a few days to check the damage. Should i just wait for the insurance guy to get there? or should i try to get it to another shop first? Please i need help with this one guys :(

the insurance guy will probably send it to a shop anyway to get it on a lift if it is suspension related damage

but why is it totalled what needs replacing

besides let the insurance total it and buy it back and ix it by buying used parts from a wrecker for cheap

Kind of hard to take. No body damage? He says totalled? The frame must be bent. If it stopped going forward - there is some real trouble there too. Best of luck.

maybe the mechanic is trying to trick you into selling him your now "totalled" car. i would definately wait for the insurance guy to come and declare it totalled. then you can collect some cash and use on a down payment on another car. good luck

hey sorry to hear about this all but hes right.... sometimes they mechanics do try to talk you into selling a nice car that has barely any damage done to it just so they can get it and sell it. my brother's friend used to work at a dealership and the mechanic told some guy with an A4 audi that his car needed over $15,000 in parts to fix the problem, meanwhile all he needed was a new power steering pump and he bought it off the moron for $2,500. i would look into other mechanics or just wait for the insurance guy for sure. good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that too. Kind of curious, did you go over a concrete curve before landing on the dirt?

I have my doubts if the car can be totalled from the 180 spin, and from what I'm reading you didn't stop suddenly from the high speed, sideways.

If I was to guess, something's wrong with your drivetrain or something has come loose. I have my doubts a car can be driven even a block if the chassis was bent; you'd know something doesn't feel right.

I agree with the others, wait for the Insurance Guy.

I have my doubts a car can be driven even a block if the chassis was bent; you'd know something doesn't feel right.

If there is even slight damage to the chassis, it won't feel right at all but a car can still be driveable with a bent chassis.

It just depends on severity of the bend and location.

I had a 98 Camaro with a slightly bent chassis and the only way I could tell is the steering felt a little biased towards the side of the bend and my tire tread wouldn't wear off evenly.

On the other hand, if you did hit a curb on your way off the road, you can expect extensive damage to the chassis.

My friend spun his Le Baron and hit the curb sideways.

The body of the car actually came off the chassis.

i would take it to a few mechanis to get there opinions and if one of them sound good and is able to help you i would let them deal with the insurance inspector. cause if you let the insurance inspector check it out first, then there nothing else you can do but have the insurance company rip you off cause there cheap *BLEEP*s. at least in jersey they are. :angry: so i would take it to another mechanic and let the mechanic deal with the inspector cause the mechanic gets what they want...

I have my doubts a car can be driven even a block if the chassis was bent; you'd know something doesn't feel right.

If there is even slight damage to the chassis, it won't feel right at all but a car can still be driveable with a bent chassis.

It just depends on severity of the bend and location.

I had a 98 Camaro with a slightly bent chassis and the only way I could tell is the steering felt a little biased towards the side of the bend and my tire tread wouldn't wear off evenly.

On the other hand, if you did hit a curb on your way off the road, you can expect extensive damage to the chassis.

My friend spun his Le Baron and hit the curb sideways.

The body of the car actually came off the chassis.

oh really! :unsure: I didn't know that.

Hey Rich:

You could take the skidpads off yourself and check it out. Also, I would recommend taking it to a service station with a collision repair facility. They should be able to figure it out, with expert opinions. Off course this is after your insurance company says, okay check it out.

I can actually see that--the Chrysler LeBaron is one of NITSA's --worst car ever.