Two Es300 Problems

Hi,

I am having two unusual problems with my 2002 ES300. Can anyone help me? I would appreciate any leads. TYIA.

Problem 1: The front end never felt right. Always a little shaky at highway speeds despite alignment, balancing, etc. While doing a brake job, I noticed that there is noticeable play while torquing the left tire/wheel (hands at 9 and 3). I followed this play through the tie rod and into the rack and pinion. At the wheel, there is less than 1/4" of play. The passenger wheel is solid.

Is there a play adjustment in the rack/pinion? Is this a tie rod or other repairable problem? Is this a problem at all? I would think so as this seems excessive play to control wheel alignment and shimmy.

Problem 2: We had the car repainted as all the factory clearcoat just peeled off. The body shop said they'd never seen anything like it. Not good considering this is a Lexus. Well, we bit the bullet and had it painted. When we get the car back, several of the "idiot lights" in the dash are on. Traction control, check engine, headlight leveling, etc. The traction control no longer turns on/off (no clunk when I press the button). The headlights just come on and don't do that cool scroll up when they turn on, etc.

The body shop swears they did nothing to cause this other than disconnect the battery for a few days. Yet, it was all ok when we took it in.

Is there some way to re-enable these functions and turn off the warning lights? We had Autozone put the OBD box on it and do a reset, but the lights are still on.

What can we do? Thank you for reading this long message.

Sincerely,

Dave

well I hope this help :blushing: as far as the play goes you may need to gett some one to rasie the car up and see is your arm bushings any good.. i had to replace one of mine in my 94 those bushings can get bad and make some play in your steering wheel and sometimes if you got a whop tire can make it shake as well do you have any new tires or these kinda use?

Hi,

I am having two unusual problems with my 2002 ES300. Can anyone help me? I would appreciate any leads. TYIA.

Problem 1: The front end never felt right. Always a little shaky at highway speeds despite alignment, balancing, etc. While doing a brake job, I noticed that there is noticeable play while torquing the left tire/wheel (hands at 9 and 3). I followed this play through the tie rod and into the rack and pinion. At the wheel, there is less than 1/4" of play. The passenger wheel is solid.

Is there a play adjustment in the rack/pinion? Is this a tie rod or other repairable problem? Is this a problem at all? I would think so as this seems excessive play to control wheel alignment and shimmy.

Problem 2: We had the car repainted as all the factory clearcoat just peeled off. The body shop said they'd never seen anything like it. Not good considering this is a Lexus. Well, we bit the bullet and had it painted. When we get the car back, several of the "idiot lights" in the dash are on. Traction control, check engine, headlight leveling, etc. The traction control no longer turns on/off (no clunk when I press the button). The headlights just come on and don't do that cool scroll up when they turn on, etc.

The body shop swears they did nothing to cause this other than disconnect the battery for a few days. Yet, it was all ok when we took it in.

Is there some way to re-enable these functions and turn off the warning lights? We had Autozone put the OBD box on it and do a reset, but the lights are still on.

What can we do? Thank you for reading this long message.

Sincerely,

Dave