Loud Radiator Fan While Accelerating - Fan Clutch?

Hi all,

Reading through the forums, I've hopefully diagnosed a problem on my car that quite a few people before me seemed to be having. With the A/C on, my radiator fan revs ridiculously loud when I accelerate. Off it's fine...

If I'm guessing right, it's due to a bad fan clutch. I tested my fan by spinning it while the engines of and there's no resistance at all, spins around at least 9 times with a simple push.

Searching around for a 1995 ES300 "fan clutch" at different auto websites & ebay yields no results. Which got me questioning if the ES300 even has a fan clutch (most of the issues I saw regarding this were with SC's & LS's) or I need a more descriptive part name? So, I called the local dealer and they do say they have it.

*** Edit***

Just found http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/gen3_part_list.pdf which lists no reference to fan clutch, but it does contain the "Motor, Hydraulic" (part #: 16960-62010). Would this be the part I'm looking for??

Just looking for anyone who may have had a similar issue, any installation tips or a part number for this piece. Also wanted to make sure I'm not missing any steps in diagnosing before I go and purchase this part.

If no steps are being missed...anyone that has a used fan clutch for a 95 ES, PLEASE! HIT ME UP!

Hi all,

Reading through the forums, I've hopefully diagnosed a problem on my car that quite a few people before me seemed to be having. With the A/C on, my radiator fan revs ridiculously loud when I accelerate. Off it's fine...

If I'm guessing right, it's due to a bad fan clutch. I tested my fan by spinning it while the engines of and there's no resistance at all, spins around at least 9 times with a simple push.

Searching around for a 1995 ES300 "fan clutch" at different auto websites & ebay yields no results. Which got me questioning if the ES300 even has a fan clutch (most of the issues I saw regarding this were with SC's & LS's) or I need a more descriptive part name? So, I called the local dealer and they do say they have it.

*** Edit***

Just found http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/gen3_part_list.pdf which lists no reference to fan clutch, but it does contain the "Motor, Hydraulic" (part #: 16960-62010). Would this be the part I'm looking for??

Just looking for anyone who may have had a similar issue, any installation tips or a part number for this piece. Also wanted to make sure I'm not missing any steps in diagnosing before I go and purchase this part.

If no steps are being missed...anyone that has a used fan clutch for a 95 ES, PLEASE! HIT ME UP!

??? FAN CLUTCH for a transverse engine??? I suggest you download the manual and look at the cooling section. Only cars with conventional engine mounting can have a fan clutch, if I remember correctly, you have electric fans.

you got that problem. :blink: . well as far as the fan clutch not really sure being i have a 94 es 300 the fan is control the power steering pump and circulates thru the fan itself :geek: ... so i suggest checking our power steering fluid see is itfull cus i do know even though you fan is turning those rev's it may nto be turning fast enuff to cool your engine I had to replace my power steering hose that was leaking and i notice the temp guage then was highier then it is now due to the leak.... but when i replace it the temp went down juss a little and a mech. told me the my fan was not turning fast enuff for my engine to cool...so.. i hope that help a bit

??? FAN CLUTCH for a transverse engine??? I suggest you download the manual and look at the cooling section. Only cars with conventional engine mounting can have a fan clutch, if I remember correctly, you have electric fans.

Sorry... forgive me, I'm not a mechanic by any means & I thought it wasn't right once I started looking around. Guess it's just the SC's & LS's that have them. It's actually a hydraulic fan, not electric.

you got that problem. well as far as the fan clutch not really sure being i have a 94 es 300 the fan is control the power steering pump and circulates thru the fan itself ... so i suggest checking our power steering fluid see is itfull cus i do know even though you fan is turning those rev's it may nto be turning fast enuff to cool your engine I had to replace my power steering hose that was leaking and i notice the temp guage then was highier then it is now due to the leak.... but when i replace it the temp went down juss a little and a mech. told me the my fan was not turning fast enuff for my engine to cool...so.. i hope that help a bit

Power Steering fluid is fine. My mechanic just recently replaced the High Pressure PS in my car & actually come to think of it...it's been VERY noticable after that. If it's not the Hydraulic Fan, I'm thinking there may be two other options. The solenoid on the PS pump OR the ECM that controls the cooling system may be faulty.

I'm just fustrated since I took it back to my mechanic, and another... and both gave me the run around that that's how it's supposed to sound & I know that's not true.

• 2 weeks later...

:blushing::blushing::blushing:

Sorry didnt know you had a transverse engine.... i thought all 93-95's had the same as i do with no electric fan wonder why they change that? :blink: i think the hydrolic one is so much better for it hardly ever goes out being no electrical parts to go out :wacko:

Update:

Just took it up to get the brake hoses replaced at a shop I've used in the past. The guy there listened and instantly said it was a bad fan motor.

Update:

Just took it up to get the brake hoses replaced at a shop I've used in the past. The guy there listened and instantly said it was a bad fan motor.

I would still recommend checking your power steering fluid level.

If you're driving in warm weather with the windows open the sound of the fan is much more noticeable. I drove around Arizona for 3 years with a leaky power steering hose, so I know how loud the fan can be if the fluid gets low. It seems the fan turns too slowly at idle speed, then tries to "catch up" as soon as the engine comes off Idle. My car has over 270k miles now and still has the original fan motor. If your fan has never been run completely dry the hydraulic motor may still be serviceable. I haven't heard how loud it is, so I can only go by own experience.

Check your fluid when the car is cold, like in the morning. It can be low enough to pull in air when the fluid is cold, but look about 1/3 full when the fluid is hot.

Those power steering hoses don't last very long compared to other cars I've had. My car has 6 years on it's 3rd one and now that one is beginning to seep. The original was replaced after only 4 years and 40k miles of driving in AZ heat.

Good Luck!