Mouse Droppings In Rx 450H

Help! I need advice. I just discovered mouse droppings in my four-month-old rx450h. I only found four or five droppings, but I'm sort of freaking out about it.

Can anyone help me figure out how they're getting in the car and how I can get them out? I live in semi-rural Vermont and I garage the car.

Other than this, I just adore my car, but I'm not happy about this, to say the least.

Thanks,

Josie

Help! I need advice. I just discovered mouse droppings in my four-month-old rx450h. I only found four or five droppings, but I'm sort of freaking out about it.

Can anyone help me figure out how they're getting in the car and how I can get them out? I live in semi-rural Vermont and I garage the car.

Other than this, I just adore my car, but I'm not happy about this, to say the least.

Thanks,

Josie

Whatever you do, don't use poison - they crawl up into some unreachable crevace (they can actually pass through a hole the size of a quarter), rot away and really stink up the car. I'd use one those special traps that doesn't kill the vermin just traps them. You bait the trap. It's balanced with the bait at one end. When the mouse enters and moves to the end wih the food, the trap shifts because of the weight of the mouse and the door shuts. You can then either dispose of the whole trap or just release them outside. I've also heard of soaking cotton balls with 100% pure peppermint oil to send the critters packing, but you have to leave them an exit and the oil is toxic to cats. I'd do something soon because they can damage wiring and insulation where ever they find it, not to mention if they don't find any food, they'll croak inside you car and you'll be buying air fresheners by the dozen!

Thanks,

Josie

Whatever you do, don't use poison - they crawl up into some unreachable crevace (they can actually pass through a hole the size of a quarter), rot away and really stink up the car. I'd use one those special traps that doesn't kill the vermin just traps them. You bait the trap. It's balanced with the bait at one end. When the mouse enters and moves to the end wih the food, the trap shifts because of the weight of the mouse and the door shuts. You can then either dispose of the whole trap or just release them outside. I've also heard of soaking cotton balls with 100% pure peppermint oil to send the critters packing, but you have to leave them an exit and the oil is toxic to cats. I'd do something soon because they can damage wiring and insulation where ever they find it, not to mention if they don't find any food, they'll croak inside you car and you'll be buying air fresheners by the dozen!

Thanks,

Josie

I suspect the mice go exploring during the night and find a small hole below the windshield wipers then find the larger holes where the joints to the hood are. They can get into the car through the air conditioning system. Finding a place safe from predators they start dragging stuff in to build a nest. I wonder if some of Toyota's sudden acceleration problems could be related to urine or debris on sensors or computer components. Unfortunately, Lexus won't do anything. Maybe it will help if enough people complain.

Plugging the holes somehow then using glue traps inside the car is probably best. (If you release them, they'll just return now that they know the way in.) Mice don't like peppermint oil and it doesn’t smell too bad to humans so that helps some. You can get peppermint oil from a heath food store. Put a little in a spray bottle with water.

I wonder if some of Toyota's sudden acceleration problems could be related to urine or debris on sensors or computer components. Unfortunately, Lexus won't do anything. Maybe it will help if enough people complain.

When mice get into your house, do you complain to your home builder?

Mice are very destructive, and they can get into just about whereever they want to get to. Lexus won't do anything to repair damage by rodents...nor should they. Thats like asking Lexus to fix the damage done when a tree falls on your car.

I wonder if some of Toyota's sudden acceleration problems could be related to urine or debris on sensors or computer components. Unfortunately, Lexus won't do anything. Maybe it will help if enough people complain.

When mice get into your house, do you complain to your home builder?

Mice are very destructive, and they can get into just about whereever they want to get to. Lexus won't do anything to repair damage by rodents...nor should they. Thats like asking Lexus to fix the damage done when a tree falls on your car.

Yes! I would absolutely expect a builder to make a house rodent proof. Even dryer vents have flaps so rodents can't enter. It doesn't take much; just don't leave a hole tempting them to come in. There is absolutely no excuse for not sealing the area behind the hood hinges so mice can't enter!

The most likely avenue for a small rodent to get into your car is by stowing away on something that you put into the car. Something that they were either nesting in or feeding on when they where transported. You can't blame lexus for introducing a mouse to your own car.

If you want to PROVE that a mouse entered your vehicle some other way, you will need to show the gnawed on part to be at all convincing. Perhaps you should check the cabin air filter for a mouse hole ;)

Setting a trap is the most strait forward way to extract the little guy.

Yes! I would absolutely expect a builder to make a house rodent proof. Even dryer vents have flaps so rodents can't enter. It doesn't take much; just don't leave a hole tempting them to come in. There is absolutely no excuse for not sealing the area behind the hood hinges so mice can't enter!

I'm in the housing business and I can tell you with authority...nothing is rodent proof. A house cannot be made rodent proof because rodents claw and chew their way into places they want to get to. If there is no hole...they will make a hole.

Same is true of a car, there might be a space thats half an inch big, a rodent gets at it knawing on it and its big enough for them to enter. This can be under the car, under the hood...in places you don't see. Nothing a carmaker can do about that.

Maybe the rodent came in when a door or window was left open in the garage...maybe for 5 minutes. They're fast.

I'm in the housing business and I can tell you with authority...nothing is rodent proof. A house cannot be made rodent proof because rodents claw and chew their way into places they want to get to. If there is no hole...they will make a hole.

Same is true of a car, there might be a space thats half an inch big, a rodent gets at it knawing on it and its big enough for them to enter. This can be under the car, under the hood...in places you don't see. Nothing a carmaker can do about that.

Maybe the rodent came in when a door or window was left open in the garage...maybe for 5 minutes. They're fast.

If you are in the business, hopefully you seal the areas where there are ducts, pipes, etc. entering from the outside and not just make it look like it is sealed up. I have seen some pretty shoddy work, though.

The problem with mice in the RX isn't limited to the RX450h. I reported it to Lexus in 2001. Back then, the mice would find the little drain trough by the hood hinges which probably looks like a little sidewalk to a mouse. At the end, there is a turn, then a hole the perfect size. The mice would easily get past the air filter and into the car. Indeed they do make a mess especially in the glove box.

After catching lots of mice INSIDE THE CAR, I was able to finally eliminate the problem by duct taping the area around the hinge. Sure mice can chew through, but without a hole for them, they have no idea what's on the other side. Cleaning around the entry points with ammonia then peppermint oil helps remove the tracks their friends and family might follow.

I haven't figured out how to patch up the RX450h (or RX350) yet. The hole is bigger and more awkward to duct tape in the new model. I wish Lexus would just put a screen between that area and the air intake. For now, every night, I'm spraying peppermint oil on the tires and under the windshield and praying they don't find the holes.

Thanks,

Josie

You might try using those "ultrasonic" plug-ins. They are available at most hardware or big box stores. Run an extension cord into the car and faithfully plug in one of these devices, every single night. You're trying to make your car uninviting for a rodent to live in. Just don't close the door or window on the cord and create a fire hazard and don't drive off with the cord still plugged in, etc., etc. Try plugging in some of these devices in the garage too.

Just a thought, as using poison is going to result in a odor you won't want to endure whether the dead mouse ends up in your garage or your car.

Thanks,

Josie

You might try using those "ultrasonic" plug-ins. They are available at most hardware or big box stores. Run an extension cord into the car and faithfully plug in one of these devices, every single night. You're trying to make your car uninviting for a rodent to live in. Just don't close the door or window on the cord and create a fire hazard and don't drive off with the cord still plugged in, etc., etc. Try plugging in some of these devices in the garage too.

Just a thought, as using poison is going to result in a odor you won't want to endure whether the dead mouse ends up in your garage or your car.

Hi There,

After selling my Prius because it was literally over-run with mice, I'm not thrilled to hear this about the Lexus. Can someone whose dealt with the mouse issue take photos of where I need to screen so I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks to all of you for the very speedy replies.

Here's hoping to keep this car mouse free!

Thanks,

Josie

This brings up a funny story.......

A rabbit decided to make its home in my son's Honda Cicic engine bay. It would eventually severe his tachometer wire and then the air conditioning wires. Blasting his alarm at 130 decibles did nothing to get the rabbit to leave so I drove it down to Home Depot and chased it away from the car. Up until then, I really thought the perpetrator was a rat. Luckily I popped open the hood at Home Depot and spotted the guy. Apparently, it is very easy for an animal to hop up from underneath the engine.

If you are in the business, hopefully you seal the areas where there are ducts, pipes, etc. entering from the outside and not just make it look like it is sealed up. I have seen some pretty shoddy work, though.

I sell houses, I don't build them but again read what I said. Mice make their own openings.

The problem with mice in the RX isn't limited to the RX450h. I reported it to Lexus in 2001. Back then, the mice would find the little drain trough by the hood hinges which probably looks like a little sidewalk to a mouse. At the end, there is a turn, then a hole the perfect size. The mice would easily get past the air filter and into the car. Indeed they do make a mess especially in the glove box.

Thats not an issue limited to Lexus. Rodent damage is very common in all cars...ask an insurance adjuster.

I sell houses, I don't build them but again read what I said. Mice make their own openings.

Thats not an issue limited to Lexus. Rodent damage is very common in all cars...ask an insurance adjuster.

ALL is a pretty big set of automobiles. I've had MANY cars in the past 40+ years and the ONLY one with mice problems INSIDE the car was the RX300. It was also my favorite car. The new RX450h is my new favorite.

It is true that animal damage is common outside the car and under hood. I wouldn't complain about that. Heck, I've had bears scratch up a car, but I wouldn't blame the manufacturer for that. What I'm talking about is mice getting INSIDE THE CAR through holes that look (to a mouse) like they are made just for them.

It is true that leaving the windows or sunroof open will let them in especially at night. But, in my case, that wasn't it. I could reproduce the problem and fix it by blocking the entry points with duct tape. I used glue traps (the cardboard kind where you peel the film) inside to catch the critters... poison is bad news especially if they drag the poison into the air conditioning system and you breath the dust. Also, you might poison their predators.

I'm really tired of hearing lame excuses about this problem where sales types blame the customer instead of the product or saying we can't fix it because everybody has the problem... instead of just fixing it! All they have to do is add a little grating around the air conditioning intakes.

ALL is a pretty big set of automobiles. I've had MANY cars in the past 40+ years and the ONLY one with mice problems INSIDE the car was the RX300. It was also my favorite car. The new RX450h is my new favorite.

Find an insurance adjuster and ask them...or just go onto other car forums and search for "mice". You'll see issues with every make and model of car. Or just Google "mice in cars"

Why is it that you just now have mice problems with your vehicles, maybe the only time you came across a location where there were a lot of mice happened to be when you had your RX? Maybe there was a neighborhood cat that kept mice away...until it died or moved away?

I've owned Lexus vehicles for 12 years...parked in carports, outside, and in a garage. In areas where we had mice outside...and never one time did I ever have a mouse in any of them. I did have a mouse one time at a location where the Lexus and Prius were subsequently parked...and we had mice...and a mouse ate through the gas tank on a VW. Never a mouse inside the Lexus or the Prius though. Its one of those fluke things. You talk about a location where you think they are getting in...but are they really getting in there? If that were blocked would they get in anywhere else? Remember...a mouse ate through a gas tank one time on a car I had...if they want in...they're going to get in.

Why not just put mesh there yourself? Seems like less work than "spraying" for them every night. Maybe you need to have a pest control company treat the area where you park your RX for mice?

Thanks,

Josie

Hi There,

After selling my Prius because it was literally over-run with mice, I'm not thrilled to hear this about the Lexus. Can someone whose dealt with the mouse issue take photos of where I need to screen so I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Josie

This is a picture of the rx450h. I circled the area where the mice entered the rx300. The rx450h is a little different... I'm not sure yet... there might be more places for them to get into the air conditioning system.

I just got the car so I'm spraying peppermint oil at night temporarily so they hopefully don't find the holes until I figure out how to block them. I'll probably have my brother who is an aviation engineer and pretty clever seal it up for me. He has the expertise, equipment and materials to do a professional job.

Hopefully your friend(s) got in through the windows or something because once they find a way in their friends just follow the "markings" they left.

post-113144-127059601654_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Josie

Hi There,

Thanks,

Josie

This is a picture of the rx450h. I circled the area where the mice entered the rx300. The rx450h is a little different... I'm not sure yet... there might be more places for them to get into the air conditioning system.

I just got the car so I'm spraying peppermint oil at night temporarily so they hopefully don't find the holes until I figure out how to block them. I'll probably have my brother who is an aviation engineer and pretty clever seal it up for me. He has the expertise, equipment and materials to do a professional job.

Hopefully your friend(s) got in through the windows or something because once they find a way in their friends just follow the "markings" they left.

Thanks so much for the very clear photo. I think steel wool is the best bet. It would hurt the car and the mice don't like to chew on it because it hurts their teeth.

I'll keep you all posted as to how this battle turns out. I just love my car and am literally sick at heart to evidence of mice inside the car.

Thanks,

Josie

Thanks,

Josie

Hi There,

Thanks,

Josie

Thanks so much for the very clear photo. I think steel wool is the best bet. It would hurt the car and the mice don't like to chew on it because it hurts their teeth.

I'll keep you all posted as to how this battle turns out. I just love my car and am literally sick at heart to evidence of mice inside the car.

Thanks,

Josie

The problem with steel wool is that it rusts. But, please keep us posted.

You know what I would try? Go to the hardware store and buy some of that wire that is coated in plastic. It comes in a roll and it will be in the outdoor department. Cut out a peice that will fit in that opening, put some electrical tape around the edges and lodge it into that opening. That won't rust, won't look obtrusive, and should do the trick.

Honestly though...the Prius was over-run with mice...now there are mice in the Lexus. The common denominator is where you park your car. I have a Prius that sits outside 24-7 and has for 6 years...no mice. It was parked for almost 2 years in a carport in the woods in front of a shed with mice in it...no mice. I really think you should have a professional animal control company come out and treat that area for mice.

You know what I would try? Go to the hardware store and buy some of that wire that is coated in plastic. It comes in a roll and it will be in the outdoor department. Cut out a peice that will fit in that opening, put some electrical tape around the edges and lodge it into that opening. That won't rust, won't look obtrusive, and should do the trick.

Honestly though...the Prius was over-run with mice...now there are mice in the Lexus. The common denominator is where you park your car. I have a Prius that sits outside 24-7 and has for 6 years...no mice. It was parked for almost 2 years in a carport in the woods in front of a shed with mice in it...no mice. I really think you should have a professional animal control company come out and treat that area for mice.

Hmmm... So you parked your car where there were mice and didn't have any (that you know of), but others shouldn't be able to do that? They should get the entire forest treated for mice? I'm not sure about where Josie lives, but in my case there are less than 20 people in over 100 square miles. The mice have been living in the forest longer than I have and they are part of the food chain for other critters.

I have been here since the late 70's and have had many cars all parked in the exact same place... Including Dodge truck, Nissan, Audi, Supra, etc, and even a Blazer (that I hated). The RX was the ONLY car that I had where mice got INSIDE the car. I'm not saying that the problem is exclusively a Lexus / Toyota problem. It is just really frustrating to try to get such a simple matter resolved when you first have to deal with know-it-all sales types who always blame the customer first. If the complaint doesn't get past them, management will say, "We never get any complaints."!!!

Your advice on the coated wire is on track, though. I am hoping to somehow remove the cover and find out what is under it so I can install the mesh so it covers any openings and is more permanent. (It was really difficult to get under the RX300 cover hence the duct tape.)

Hmmm... So you parked your car where there were mice and didn't have any (that you know of), but others shouldn't be able to do that? They should get the entire forest treated for mice? I'm not sure about where Josie lives, but in my case there are less than 20 people in over 100 square miles. The mice have been living in the forest longer than I have and they are part of the food chain for other critters.

Come on...don't be silly. Where I parked there was a shed in front of the carport and the mice were in there...perhaps where you are parking there is no other attractive structure where the mice can find shelter? Mice are living and pack like creatures. How they act and react to things is unpredictable. Why did they choose to enter your car and not mine? Who knows.

I have been here since the late 70's and have had many cars all parked in the exact same place... Including Dodge truck, Nissan, Audi, Supra, etc, and even a Blazer (that I hated). The RX was the ONLY car that I had where mice got INSIDE the car. I'm not saying that the problem is exclusively a Lexus / Toyota problem. It is just really frustrating to try to get such a simple matter resolved when you first have to deal with know-it-all sales types who always blame the customer first. If the complaint doesn't get past them, management will say, "We never get any complaints."!!!

Again like I said, mice are living pack based animals and their activities are a mystery. Why all of a sudden some years ago did the mice start deciding to come into your area and try and live in your car? Literally...who knows why...

Its frustrating because you are going to the wrong people for help. Lexus dealers sell & service Lexus vehicles...they aren't exterminators...and they aren't vehicle designers. Your vehicle has an infestation and you need to call someone who deals with infestations. Next you'll be complaining that in a flood your Lexus wasn't water tight. Cars aren't water tight...and they aren't impervious to animal or insect infestations either. Call someone who can actually help you, have them come to your house and treat the area where you park your car for mice. The mesh might help...but if they want in they are going to get in...you need to call an exterminator too.

If you and I have the same car...and you have mice and I don't. What is the seperating factor? Sometimes the issue is indeed with the customer and not the vehicle.

Again, I'm not trying to be or sound like I'm dismissing your issue but its just not a warranty problem and you're wasting your time and energy trying to make it one.