My First Lexus (And 1St Impressions)

CopperGreen

Hello,

2 weeks ago I took possession of this gem...

827752298_SNcZN-X3.jpg

827754458_K93ga-X3.jpg

827751835_fGYwP-X3.jpg

It is a 2005 LS 430 (Russian Mafia edition).

I know very little about it other than it has 18" chrome alloy wheels with Dunlops, climate control seats and parking assist.

When I took possession it had 13800 miles. I have since put 1k on it. I paid $25k.

The car is not perfect as the owner was 85 going on 150 and had trouble parking in a garage. There are wee scrapes here and there and the front chrome grill has a tiny dent near the top. He smacked a curb and put a small gouge in the rim near the bead on one wheel. The interior looked like it had a saliva grenade detonate and only after scrubbing with isopro alcohol could I be rid of the last traces.

The dash has the warning "Fuel Door" which will not go away. This is not a major annoyance so fixing it will come later.

I'm very impressed by this car. Whoever said a LS 430 couldn't handle must work for MB. This thing is like a mag-lev roller coaster in the canyons. Very little body sway. Where I went to try the handling they have recently paved the road so the ride is whisper quiet. Hard to judge velocity without the usual ques. Only the sensation of getting thrown around in the seat suggested that I was cracking on at a brisk pace.

Not a chirp or squeal from the tires. I don't know the weight of this beast but it sure is graceful.

I plan on keeping this car. I may regret the color come summer but I think it looks best in black- has a certain imperious gravitas to it, if you know what I mean...

Finally, I'd just like to say thanks for this forum. It already helped me with the low tire pressure issue (it was the spare).

Now if anyone can recommend a source for an inexpensive front grill bezel, I'd be grateful.

Anyway,

Cheers!

No typo.

13,870 miles when the title was signed over to me.

Did you see the plastic wrap still on the rear center armrest?

In fact, when I was going over the car I found and removed about a sq yard worth of new car plastic sheet from here and there.

The saliva bomb was a bit of an exaggeration. But there was something that left little spots. Mostly on the leather above the door armrests (left and right) and center console around the cup holder and passenger seat. As if a can of coke was shaken and opened. Maybe a cup of condensed milk somehow sprayed drops everywhere and allowed to dry. Little hard droplets that defy every other cleaning product then alcohol (or a finger nail).

Very nice car and I'd have to say a good buy. The black looks great but you may only have to wait until pollen season before you say, hmmm. Black takes a little more work than other colors but the results are stunning. Enjoy, and try to keep it under 90.

No typo.

13,870 miles when the title was signed over to me.

Did you see the plastic wrap still on the rear center armrest?

In fact, when I was going over the car I found and removed about a sq yard worth of new car plastic sheet from here and there.

The saliva bomb was a bit of an exaggeration. But there was something that left little spots. Mostly on the leather above the door armrests (left and right) and center console around the cup holder and passenger seat. As if a can of coke was shaken and opened. Maybe a cup of condensed milk somehow sprayed drops everywhere and allowed to dry. Little hard droplets that defy every other cleaning product then alcohol (or a finger nail).

Wow. For $25k and only 13.8k miles, you stole that thing! I am jealous. Good catch.

Man that is an awesome buy - i look foward to getting a 2005 LS down the road, but my 95 just keeps giving me good reasons to hang on to it longer!

welcome to the Club and enjoy a fine automobile for a loooong time.

Hello,

2 weeks ago I took possession of this gem...

827752298_SNcZN-X3.jpg

827754458_K93ga-X3.jpg

827751835_fGYwP-X3.jpg

It is a 2005 LS 430 (Russian Mafia edition).

I know very little about it other than it has 18" chrome alloy wheels with Dunlops, climate control seats and parking assist.

When I took possession it had 13800 miles. I have since put 1k on it. I paid $25k.

The car is not perfect as the owner was 85 going on 150 and had trouble parking in a garage. There are wee scrapes here and there and the front chrome grill has a tiny dent near the top. He smacked a curb and put a small gouge in the rim near the bead on one wheel. The interior looked like it had a saliva grenade detonate and only after scrubbing with isopro alcohol could I be rid of the last traces.

The dash has the warning "Fuel Door" which will not go away. This is not a major annoyance so fixing it will come later.

I'm very impressed by this car. Whoever said a LS 430 couldn't handle must work for MB. This thing is like a mag-lev roller coaster in the canyons. Very little body sway. Where I went to try the handling they have recently paved the road so the ride is whisper quiet. Hard to judge velocity without the usual ques. Only the sensation of getting thrown around in the seat suggested that I was cracking on at a brisk pace.

Not a chirp or squeal from the tires. I don't know the weight of this beast but it sure is graceful.

I plan on keeping this car. I may regret the color come summer but I think it looks best in black- has a certain imperious gravitas to it, if you know what I mean...

Finally, I'd just like to say thanks for this forum. It already helped me with the low tire pressure issue (it was the spare).

Now if anyone can recommend a source for an inexpensive front grill bezel, I'd be grateful.

Anyway,

Cheers!

These folks can probably help you on your grill... direct:

http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductCart/pc/advSearch_M.asp?fp=bnd&priceFrom=0&priceUntil=999999999&idCategory=0&idSupplier=10&resultCnt=10&IDBrand=115&keyword=

or this: and hunt

http://www.topspeedauto.com/Templates/AboutUs.htm

Top Speed

Tel: 972.233.0888

Please call from Monday to Friday: 9:00am to 6:00pm

good luck

• 1 month later...

Thanx for the link Billy.

What I really need is the big fat chrome outer ring/ bezel part of the grill.

Thanx again though..

Hi,

Do you still need the chrome grille bezel?

I have one that is in very nice shape. I bought a grille off Ebay a while back, but only needed the plastic grille part 'cause a stone broke it.

By now you know what that part goes for, make me an offer plus shipping.

I can send you a picture if you need one.

Donm

Black on black big sedan, and the AK-47 rifle racks in the trunk.

thats sick man ak-47 gun racks?....in my 92 ls400 it took me two hours and a bottle of vim to clean just the two front leather seats, and i found mouse *BLEEP* in the trunk under the panels.

• 5 months later...

Back from a wee hiatus.

Thanx DonsLS,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Work got all-consuming.

I did manage to get a brand new oem "Grill Surround" for $200, $22 of which was for a new rubber protecto-gasket.

Steep, but boy does it look great.

When you suffer from OCD and inherited perfectionism you better be Bill Gates-or have a well oiled ability to rationalize such frivolous purchases.

Hello.

The car now has 20k miles. 6k+ under my helm. I've replaced the left exhaust tip, battery and grill thingy (previously mentioned). It's been to the dealer for service; I went there immediately, figuring better to get the new ownership logged and honestly just see the inside of a Lexus dealer service dept.

The privilege cost me close to $700. I hope something special was done, other than rape my wallet, like, re-torque the oscillator over-thruster or something.

Oh well, they talked real pretty and gave me a loaner. On a side note, the loaner was a 4wd suv model. Who buys those things? The combination of torque steer and under-steer was truly a marvel to behold. Drive it ever so slightly aggressive and enjoy the wonders for yourself.

Back to it. At the 20k mark it went to an independent shop. <$100. Now that's more like it! Full synthetic. Oem oil filter. They also washed the car, test drove it and offered a loaner. Not bad. The best part was being able to enter the shop and actually walk under my car on the lift. How many shops let you do that?

I am happy to report the car looked (from'under) like it drove off the dealer lot last week. Amazing.

The car wouldn't start one day after 30mins of stereo playing, passenger door open, post work bs'ing in the parking lot so I replaced the stock battery with an Optima.Yeah, either you love'em or you hate'em. I have used them at work and use an agm type battery on my motorcycle so I was comfortable in making that upgrade.

Cranks much faster on start-up. Much.

Tires are starting to get thin. The stock Dunlop's will run $253 each, mounted and balanced. Looking at Continentals as a possible substitute. I'll do a forum search.

I did get a bullseye in the windshield on the freeway one day. Something like a 1/2-13x 1" bolt or something. Windshield stopped it from going through my forehead. Now, however, I have to practically look through the mark when I drive. It's fixed as best as possible but there is still a ghost that can only be fixed by buying a new windshield.

A chi-knee knockoff replacement-$200. Oem $1500-$2k.

That will have to wait for when I'm employed again.

All that said, I have to say, this car continues to impress me. The more you drive it the more it sinks in just how magnificent these cars are. The car kinda grows on you. After the initial ownership seduction, the car keeps getting better! Perfect blend of performance, comfort and quality. MPG is right around 24.

The thing also just eats up the miles. Makes you want to take long, pointless trips just so you can drive it. Like a road trip up the coast to VC, then back south through Montana, Co, Flagstaff and home. Hmm...