5W-30 Oil

driver8

hello everyone-

does everyone run 5w-30 in their 400LS all summer?

should i put in a different weight as the weather gets warmer?

thanks!

Use 5W30 oil year round. It's not exactly the tropics in Taos -- highest summer temperatures there are lower than here in Kansas.

hello everyone-

thanks!

Using 5W-30 oil is a great idea all year around in an engine in average to good condition. An engine that is worn and inclined to "use" oil may require a heavier weight oil.

Hanging in there

hello everyone-

thanks!

I run straight 30wt in the summer and 5w-30(which means never thinner than 5w or thicker than 30w) in the winter here in Texas.

I dont want oil as thin as water in the summertime..

and I recommended this to my customers at my repair shop (Richardson Automotive) and at my 5 service stations before that, 2 Gulf, 2 Texaco and one Amaco.

BUT everyone has their own opinion, this just happens to be mine for the last 40 years..... and I have NEVER had engine trouble

cheers.

just put in any oil you feel comfertable with. weither it is 0w-20 or 10w-40. I don't know why it would make any positive difference to run any straight weight versus a multiple viscosity oil. It makes it harder on the engine when cold. However to each their own and the most important thing is to run oil in your car. If you change it regularly with whatever oil you like you wont have any problems.

Or you could just follow the manufacturer's reommendation: 5W30

I've done about 265,000 miles in Lexus LS cars over 20 years on the recommended 5W30 oil and the engines haven't used oil between changes. Why bother experimenting?