Oil Pan Leak

driver8

well, i whacked my oil pan, when i ran over a cement bulkhead....dent right by the plug..(of course).. leaking ..not a whole lot, but enough to be concerned about. i've already had it re-threaded and re-pluged, which helped a bit, but still leaking.

is there anything i can do besides replace the oil pan? has anyone done this, and does it work? how about some thicker oil...would this help?

:cries:

well, i whacked my oil pan, when i ran over a cement bulkhead....dent right by the plug..(of course).. leaking ..not a whole lot, but enough to be concerned about. i've already had it re-threaded and re-pluged, which helped a bit, but still leaking.

is there anything i can do besides replace the oil pan? has anyone done this, and does it work? how about some thicker oil...would this help?

Hate when that happens. Sounds like the re-threading wasn't done right. Are you using a proper drain plug gasket? Check that it's not leaking from anywhere else than the plug area. If not, you can re-thread it. Thicker oil is a stop gap at best and has ramifications for long term. Just get the right fix in and never mind the bandaid solutions!

Hate when that happens. Sounds like the re-threading wasn't done right. Are you using a proper drain plug gasket? Check that it's not leaking from anywhere else than the plug area. If not, you can re-thread it. Thicker oil is a stop gap at best and has ramifications for long term. Just get the right fix in and never mind the bandaid solutions!

hey blacktop--

thanks...yes, thicker oil is just a bandaid.

i will look into a drain plug gasket...it was a new one, but who knows..might not be the right one.

The lower steel pan is easy to remove/replace, just unbolt it (after draining), clean the sealing area, apply a new gasket, and attach the new pan. Nothing else needs to be removed.

If they dropped the pan to repair the thread then make sure the surfaces were thoroughly cleaned. If so, check that you don't have a leak along the new gasket. If they drilled and retapped without dropping the pan and your drains have been regular and if it's not leaking, I'd think twice about removing the pan. As mentioned, removal is easy, so is replacing. Cleaning, not so much. Some of them have the gasket really caked on and can take a lot of elbow grease and time to get clean. Also if they repaired the thread without removing the pan, I hope they flushed with some cheap oil to remove any shavings before refilling with oil and starting the engine.

If they dropped the pan to repair the thread then make sure the surfaces were thoroughly cleaned. If so, check that you don't have a leak along the new gasket. If they drilled and retapped without dropping the pan and your drains have been regular and if it's not leaking, I'd think twice about removing the pan. As mentioned, removal is easy, so is replacing. Cleaning, not so much. Some of them have the gasket really caked on and can take a lot of elbow grease and time to get clean. Also if they repaired the thread without removing the pan, I hope they flushed with some cheap oil to remove any shavings before refilling with oil and starting the engine.

[/quote

no, they didn't drop the pan to rethread the plug. today i bought a new plug gasket, and will have someone put it on.

i really don't want to replace the pan, because i am concerned i will have even more leakage, if they don't get the new one on right. 0, i hope there are no shavings in the oil...maybe i will have it changed again real quick.

this is interesting....it has been leaking from the plug for 5 days now...but i don't notice any oil gone from the crankcase...dipstick still up on FULL! it must not be leaking as much as i think?

The lower steel pan is easy to remove/replace, just unbolt it (after draining), clean the sealing area, apply a new gasket, and attach the new pan. Nothing else needs to be removed.

hello- RDM

yes, it probably is easy to do, but i really would rather not..but i might have to. I got a 156.00 price on the internet..OEM..+gasket $20.00...to put it on probably about an hour?

hello- RDM

yes, it probably is easy to do, but i really would rather not..but i might have to. I got a 156.00 price on the internet..OEM..+gasket $20.00...to put it on probably about an hour?

I'd add a half for cleaning, I use a steel wool or soft bristle brush to remove the old sealant, makes it easier and quicker to reseal it.

I would replace the pan. Just be very careful to follow torque specifications as most oil pans leak due to overtightening the bolts. I certainly would not use thicker oil, very bad move.