Snow Or All Season Tires?

I just bought a '08 LS460 (w/18k mi) and only experienced driving it in one snowstorm. We get some pretty good snow in the winter and this car will clearly need better traction in snow. I don't do a lot of driving (about 8k per year), mainly just around town a few trips of about 200 miles at a time per year.

One thought is to purchase a matching rim and take the tire off the spare in the trunk and mount snow tires on them. Then I will have two snow tires that I can put on in the winter and use the existing tires and rims for the rest of the year. The other thought is to replace all four tires with all season.

If I just buy snow tires and have them mounted on the rims every year will that cause problems with the tire pressure monitor? Will mounting and dismounting tires every year cause damage to the rims?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions you can share with me on the best solution and to get the best traction? What brand/type of tire should I consider? Any help would be great. Thanks

If your tires are the original ones, they may well be all season tires: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LS/2008.html

There have been many threads on this forum about all season tires and snow tires. I participated in some of them.

In my opinion, there is no comparison between driving on even the best all season tires and driving on true "winter" tires. When buying tires for winter use, ignor the term "snow tires" since there is no industry standard of the use of that term or on the abbreviation "M&S" or "M+S" which most all season tires carry on their sidewalls.

True winter tires almost always have a "mountain/snowflake" symbol on the sidewall: http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125&currentpage=120

Mounting and dismounting snow tires each year will not damage the rims if done correctly. But doing that will more likely damage the tire beads. I switched between snow tires and summer tires on the same wheels for 10 years on a Mercedes sedan and had a couple tires trashed in the process. IMO, it is better to have a second set of wheels which also allows you to install the snow tires yourself if there is an early or late snow storm without having to rely on someone else.

Don't even consider using snow tires only on your back wheels -- it's unsafe ... there are articles about that on the Tire Rack website.

I believe your LS460 can handle at least two sets of tire pressure monitors and there is a switch for alternating between the sets. And, of course, you really don't have to have tire pressure monitors -- but why not purchase an extra set since your car has the feature.

There are lots of good winter tires from a number of name brand companies ... Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. I've milked seven winters (25,000 miles) from the Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 winter tires I took off my LS last week but they are worn down past the winter wear bars and should have been replaced last year. Plus, most "experts" think tires are not safe after six to eight years.

I plan to buy a new set of four Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires at Costco when they are introduced in July 2010 but, like I said, there are other good brands available. Just make sure the snow tires you buy have the "mountain/snowflake" symbol.

I plan on purchasing an LS460 later this year. In the course of investigating the market I talked to what I believe to be a very good dealer near my home. They said that many of their customers use a second set of rims for winter tires. I am considering purchasing the OEM accessory chromed Teleios wheels for the summer tires and use the rims that come with the car for the winter. For winter, they recommend Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 tires (including installation of tire pressure monitors).

Not a cheap way to go but the car will look great all year long. I keep my cars for at least 10 years so over the long haul the extra rims will pay for themselves.

I just bought a '08 LS460 (w/18k mi) and only experienced driving it in one snowstorm. We get some pretty good snow in the winter and this car will clearly need better traction in snow. I don't do a lot of driving (about 8k per year), mainly just around town a few trips of about 200 miles at a time per year.

One thought is to purchase a matching rim and take the tire off the spare in the trunk and mount snow tires on them. Then I will have two snow tires that I can put on in the winter and use the existing tires and rims for the rest of the year. The other thought is to replace all four tires with all season.

If I just buy snow tires and have them mounted on the rims every year will that cause problems with the tire pressure monitor? Will mounting and dismounting tires every year cause damage to the rims?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions you can share with me on the best solution and to get the best traction? What brand/type of tire should I consider? Any help would be great. Thanks

I went through a similar plight when I bought our '08 LS. I live west of Denver up against the mountains and we get some serious snow here at the house. Many times the county plows don't get to our streets for days at a time.

After a lot of research and talking with others, I got another set of four wheels (Teleios) and run the summer original tires on those. I did get another set of TPMS sensors also and installed some Michelin X-Ice tires on the OEM's on all four wheels.

I think the car handles as close to a 4wd as a 2wd can. It does very well. And true snow tires, the ones with the snowflake and mountain logo are the only way to go, especially with sudden lane changes and quick stops. The front end doesn't plow off in some direction, it goes where you point it.

With two complete sets of mounted wheels I can change them myself whenever I want. After the changeout I do take them to the dealer to have the TPMS codes entered into the computer. I have a record of the different codes and they just enter them on their laptop and it's done...10 minute job.

Through the excercise of trying to find the Teleios summer wheels, I wound up with an extra set of mint condition OEM takeoff wheels, set of four.(The Teleios chrome wheels are nice but a constant, weekly, hassle of cleaning the brake dust off of them)

Anyway, these other OEM wheels are for sale, they are the standard '07 - '10 OEM's with the 5 x 120 bolt pattern and center caps, no TPMS.

I want $500, for the set of four, + shipping. They're boxed and weigh 27# each from 80401.

Whit

post-55782-127040029118_thumb.jpg

Hi Whit,

I see you have a '08 LS 460. I have a '07 and it only hold one set of TPMS codes. I also have two complete sets of winter and summer wheels. I've been driving around all winter with the amber light on that I should bring the vehicle in for service. My '07 LS 460L came with summer tires so the car's computer recognizes the codes for the summer tires. If I have someone take the tire off the rims and get the serial # off the set of TPMS winter tires, will I be able to bring that information to the dealer and have them enter it into their computer and next year when I remount the winter tires I will be able to go to any dealer and they will be able to program the car's computer's so that I will be able to ride around next winter without the amber warning light on? I went to the dealer before I mounted the winter tires and they wanted over $250 for the four tires just to get the TPMS codes. It involves them to dis-mount, re-balance and remount the tire onto the rim. Could get that done from a local tire repair shop for a lot cheaper. BTW-I purchased the winter set of brand new wheels from someone that wanted 19" rims. Why couldn't they make a scanner that was able to get a reading without all that trouble? So if I supply the serial # to the service department it'll be a 10 minute job later this year?

TIA,

Premium Package

With two complete sets of mounted wheels I can change them myself whenever I want. After the changeout I do take them to the dealer to have the TPMS codes entered into the computer. I have a record of the different codes and they just enter them on their laptop and it's done...10 minute job.

Hi Whit,

I see you have a '08 LS 460. I have a '07 and it only hold one set of TPMS codes. I also have two complete sets of winter and summer wheels. I've been driving around all winter with the amber light on that I should bring the vehicle in for service. My '07 LS 460L came with summer tires so the car's computer recognizes the codes for the summer tires. If I have someone take the tire off the rims and get the serial # off the set of TPMS winter tires, will I be able to bring that information to the dealer and have them enter it into their computer and next year when I remount the winter tires I will be able to go to any dealer and they will be able to program the car's computer's so that I will be able to ride around next winter without the amber warning light on? I went to the dealer before I mounted the winter tires and they wanted over $250 for the four tires just to get the TPMS codes. It involves them to dis-mount, re-balance and remount the tire onto the rim. Could get that done from a local tire repair shop for a lot cheaper. BTW-I purchased the winter set of brand new wheels from someone that wanted 19" rims. Why couldn't they make a scanner that was able to get a reading without all that trouble? So if I supply the serial # to the service department it'll be a 10 minute job later this year?

TIA,

Premium Package

My '06 GS430 had a memory button under the dash that would retain TWO sets of TPMS codes, their 'flagship LS' only remembers one set...BS!

I was thinking the Lexus Super Laptop had the ability to read the TPMS inside the tire. It interrogates on a low frequency then the digital data stream is wi-fi'd to the laptop. If you have the tire removed to read them (it's a 7-character alpha-numeric number) tell the shop to be careful of the modules. They are easily broken if the 'tech' isn't paying attention or doesn't know what he's doing.

I got a set of new TPMS modules from Sewell Lexus in Dallas. Check ClubLexus.com They have half-price specials now and then at $60 each, however I have seen them on ebay for $100/4. The Lexus ones are made by Pacific.

Whit

I went through a similar plight when I bought our '08 LS. I live west of Denver up against the mountains and we get some serious snow here at the house. Many times the county plows don't get to our streets for days at a time.

After a lot of research and talking with others, I got another set of four wheels (Teleios) and run the summer original tires on those. I did get another set of TPMS sensors also and installed some Michelin X-Ice tires on the OEM's on all four wheels.

I think the car handles as close to a 4wd as a 2wd can. It does very well. And true snow tires, the ones with the snowflake and mountain logo are the only way to go, especially with sudden lane changes and quick stops. The front end doesn't plow off in some direction, it goes where you point it.

Through the excercise of trying to find the Teleios summer wheels, I wound up with an extra set of mint condition OEM takeoff wheels, set of four.(The Teleios chrome wheels are nice but a constant, weekly, hassle of cleaning the brake dust off of them)

Anyway, these other OEM wheels are for sale, they are the standard '07 - '10 OEM's with the 5 x 120 bolt pattern and center caps, no TPMS.

I want $500, for the set of four, + shipping. They're boxed and weigh 27# each from 80401.

Whit

Whit,

I am still vacillating over the Teleios chrome wheels. I haven’t actually seen them yet but I have heard they are more of a greyish colour compared to shiny bright chrome wheels. I don’t much like the prospect of scrubbing the wheels clean on a weekly basis. Wouldn’t the brake shoe dust also be an issue for the OEM aluminium wheels. Did you consider other chromed wheels before you got your Teleios ones. I would be interested in your opinion.

At a minimum I would get two sets of OEM aluminium wheels, one for winter and the other for summer.

Mike

Whit

Whit,

I am still vacillating over the Teleios chrome wheels. I haven’t actually seen them yet but I have heard they are more of a greyish colour compared to shiny bright chrome wheels. I don’t much like the prospect of scrubbing the wheels clean on a weekly basis. Wouldn’t the brake shoe dust also be an issue for the OEM aluminium wheels. Did you consider other chromed wheels before you got your Teleios ones. I would be interested in your opinion.

At a minimum I would get two sets of OEM aluminium wheels, one for winter and the other for summer.

Mike

For some reason the brake dust doesn't seem to adhere to the OEM wheels like it does to the Teleios chrome ones or any highly polished chrome ones. I know, seems backwards. Here's mine.

Whit

post-55782-127056982122_thumb.jpg

Very nice!! The colour looks great against the fall foliage. I like the wheels. Is there a grey tinge to them and are they highly polished?

Mike

No, these are the real chrome ones, not the 'black chrome' ones.

Whit

• 1 month later...