Help, I Dropped A Part Somewhere In My Console/dash

billydpowell

I was removing my radio on the new 99 LS for repair, no display, everything is working, even the back lights. but NO display none- numbers or letters.

SO MUCH FOR THAT.

when I pulled my AC loover unit out, the left loover unit stayed in the dash and a lttle part that holds the loovers on the right side, FELL DOWN somewhere in all that mess of wires and boxes.

(SEE PHOTOS)

if any of you have ever removed the console/ carpet/ whatever, how did you go about it?

Sewell wants $600 for a new register (would have to order it, never have sold one)

ANY info/photos will help, all though the air outlets are different 95-97 & 98=2000. probably 95-2000 is basically the same, R&R console-carpet...

again I say HELP!

post-5365-127031036122_thumb.jpg

post-5365-127031037049_thumb.jpg

post-5365-12703103781_thumb.jpg

post-5365-127031039022_thumb.jpg

You too? There was another recent thread about somebody losing the same part in his 95-97 LS.

I've "lost" the same part you lost several times while removing the air register in my 00 LS but I've always been able to find all the parts -- they usual fell all the way down behind and under the radio.

Pop out the wood console/ashtray assembly -- it is held in by four or six friction fittings. I use a stiff putty knive with the blade covered with electrical tape or a hard plastic/fiber trim removal tool. Some people use a regular screw driver. Mine comes out easily since it has been removed so many times. I helped a friend remove the wood console/ashtray in his 99 LS a few weeks ago and it was a lot more difficult to get out -- obviously had never been removed. When you remove the wood panel/ashtray, you'll have to unplug the VSC, seat heater and ashtray buttons.

The radio/HVAC assembly is held in place by four 10 mm bolts -- lay a towel on the console frame so you won't scratch the vinyl as you pull the radio/HVAC assembly out. Disconnect all the connectors from the back of the radio/HVAC controls and set the assembly aside.

I'll bet you'll find the part you lost without dismantling carpeting, etc. At least I always did. I've had a LOT of practice ripping this stuff out when installing phone components or when I had to get my radio repaired. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

By the way, I checked Parts.com a few weeks ago and I think they had the register assembly for something like $450 -- much more expensive the one for a 95-97 LS -- probably the wood trim bounces the price up.

Good luck.

You too? There was another recent thread about somebody losing the same part in his 95-97 LS.

I've "lost" the same part you lost several times while removing the air register in my 00 LS but I've always been able to find all the parts -- they usual fell all the way down behind and under the radio.

Pop out the wood console/ashtray assembly -- it is held in by four or six friction fittings. I use a stiff putty knive with the blade covered with electrical tape or a hard plastic/fiber trim removal tool. Some people use a regular screw driver. Mine comes out easily since it has been removed so many times. I helped a friend remove the wood console/ashtray in his 99 LS a few weeks ago and it was a lot more difficult to get out -- obviously had never been removed. When you remove the wood panel/ashtray, you'll have to unplug the VSC, seat heater and ashtray buttons.

The radio/HVAC assembly is held in place by four 10 mm bolts -- lay a towel on the console frame so you won't scratch the vinyl as you pull the radio/HVAC assembly out. Disconnect all the connectors from the back of the radio/HVAC controls and set the assembly aside.

I'll bet you'll find the part you lost without dismantling carpeting, etc. At least I always did. I've had a LOT of practice ripping this stuff out when installing phone components or when I had to get my radio repaired. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

By the way, I checked Parts.com a few weeks ago and I think they had the register assembly for something like $450 -- much more expensive the one for a 95-97 LS -- probably the wood trim bounces the price up.

Good luck.

WELL, after looking on & off all day yesterday for it and calling Sewell $600. I went out on the patio and prayed... ask God for help, and He told me to call Jon, my nephew, a young guy and a good mechanic.. I did, went and got him, showed him what it looked like and went inside to warm my pizza up, he walked in and said is this it, and held it up.... I said Halleluia, where was it, he said down in the cupholder, it must have fell there after I got the parts out and I didnt see it. NOW, I took my wallet out to pay him, and he said your battery is down, so I laid the wallet down and we pushed the car out of the garage beside another one and jumped it off and I said I will take you home in this and build up the battery, we left... I noticed I was on empty and pulled into a gas station, got out felt for my wallet and remembered.. dum dum, it is in the garage....

ask Jon if had any money, (he never does) and he said yep, for some reason I picked up this $20 as I left the house, so I said , well I guess God knew I would need it. I told him he was an answer to prayer and thanked him and the Lord for watching out for me... "end of story"

God answers prayer.

thanks...

A strange god indeed. He's oblivious to the plight of 100,000 now dead Haitians, but has time to help you find your lost Lexus parts....

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"