'92 Ls 400 Power Steering

ted400

My '92 LS 400 power steering pump has been whining because fluid was blowing out of the rack seals. The rack is replaced and the pump bled, but after a half hour drive the pump is whining again. I bled and cleaned lines and checked for leaks but haven't found anything. I pulled off the vacuum lead that runs from the bottom of the ps/pump to the intake port because I noticed ps/fluid present. While it was attached to the throttle port I disconnected the air bellows side with engine running and held my finger over it ... billows of smoke came out the exhaust. I disconnected both lines and only trace smoke until it all burned off and no more smoke. I think this was the problem with losing ps/fluid. Is it okay to leave the lines disconnected? What are your thoughts? Thank you.

I disconnected and plugged both of the vacuum lines off the power steering pump because it smoked like a bandit when I started it up with those line connected. Won't hurt a thing.

I disconnected and plugged both of the vacuum lines off the power steering pump because it smoked like a bandit when I started it up with those line connected. Won't hurt a thing.

With intake and manifold plugged, I ran the engine for 2 minutes and ps fluid readily dripped from the open line without turning the wheel. Is there great difficulty replacing the acv?

With intake and manifold plugged, I ran the engine for 2 minutes and ps fluid readily dripped from the open line without turning the wheel. Is there great difficulty replacing the acv?

We've discussed it several times in here, you can buy a pipe plug the same thread pitch and just delete the valve completely. Won't hurt a thing, mine has been capped for three years. Just make sure to dab some RTV on the threads to seal it tight. It's pretty easy to access it without pulling the pump.

We've discussed it several times in here, you can buy a pipe plug the same thread pitch and just delete the valve completely. Won't hurt a thing, mine has been capped for three years. Just make sure to dab some RTV on the threads to seal it tight. It's pretty easy to access it without pulling the pump.

Thanks. I read the article and it was very thorough, but I was thinking about replacing the valve. I can't get my hand behind the pump from the top or from under it without being a contortionist ... it's just too tight. I guess I'll take off the belt and loosen the mount bolts to move the pump out. If I don't replace the acv, can I run a loop from one nipple to the other and just clamp it off with fuel hose clamps ... its easier and less messy than putting in a plug.