Weird Problem With Key Remote (Es300 '98)

Hi all,

I have discovered a wierd problem with remote and central lock of my ES300 (98). While driving sometimes, the door locks start to open and close themselves. Right after it happens, the central lock stops working. Driver side lock opens but doesn't go close (with remote or with front door switches, if inside). After the car is still standing for more than 12 hours, everything starts working again but don't last too long...

My first thought was to reprogram the remote. But if remote has the problem, the front door locks should work properly. So, I am in desperate need of a solution. Please help me to solve this out.

Thanks in advance!

I would remove the central door lock reciever, and remove the cover. Check for signs water intrusion or burnt components. Also inspect the wire harness.

Thanks for your input. Can you please tell where the central lock receiver is located please ? Sorry for this question, but I am a new Lexus member and still has to begin learning about my car which I have recently bought.

Once again, thank you very much for the reply!!

Hi all,

I have discovered a wierd problem with remote and central lock of my ES300 (98). While driving sometimes, the door locks start to open and close themselves. Right after it happens, the central lock stops working. Driver side lock opens but doesn't go close (with remote or with front door switches, if inside). After the car is still standing for more than 12 hours, everything starts working again but don't last too long...

My first thought was to reprogram the remote. But if remote has the problem, the front door locks should work properly. So, I am in desperate need of a solution. Please help me to solve this out.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it has anything to do with the remote. Something is making the locks cycle while the car is moving, but the remote can't operate the locks while the engine is running. I think there's a problem with the door lock circuit in the car - a bad switch or a sticking relay or a short. You'll need to check the circuits while the problem is happening. You'll need to use a multimeter to find out what's making the locks cycle and why the locks aren't operating after you have the problem. I've attached the pages from the 1997 FSM to get you started.

Wiring Diagram.pdf

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it has anything to do with the remote. Something is making the locks cycle while the car is moving, but the remote can't operate the locks while the engine is running. I think there's a problem with the door lock circuit in the car - a bad switch or a sticking relay or a short. You'll need to check the circuits while the problem is happening. You'll need to use a multimeter to find out what's making the locks cycle and why the locks aren't operating after you have the problem. I've attached the pages from the 1997 FSM to get you started.

Hi mkeeney,

Thanks for your detailed explaination. Hats off to your knowledge about this issue....

• Like 1