I Got Scammed

nc211

Well, a few weeks ago, I posted about my very first trip to Vegas in February, and how it resulted in my wife and I coming back broke, pregnant, and with a court date. Well, my "court date" was for a ticket going 30mph in a 15mph speed trap zone (not 30mph over the limit, but actually going 30mph). The ticket was for $207. I had to get a lawyer to protect my driving record, as the 15mph over the limit was bad, but the "double the posted speed limit" was worse!

Now, I was NOT guilty of speeding, period. Not at all, unless going 30MPH in a 35MPH zone is speeding. However, the lawyer said it would be cheaper to just plea the ticket down to a parking ticket instead of pleading not guilty. So, I bit. $300 for the lawyer.....care to guess what parking ticket ended up costing? Yup....$207! For a grand total of $507 bucks!!

Now, like I said, I was not guilty, and I have proof! My wife and went back and video taped the route, including the POV of from where the cop was taking radar. Care to take a look? Well, here you go, video evidence of the biggest scam I've ever had the misfortune of getting tangled up with. For the record, for all of you living in Vegas, or going there, and you want to go visit Hoover Dam...AVOID BOULDER CITY, STAY ON THE HIGHWAY!! You can bet an email is going to the Boulder City Chamber of Commerce from me, notifying them to not let my $207 burn a hole in their pocket, as that will be the only money their little dump city will ever see from me. Great community business model!

Enjoy.... watch carefully towards the end...you'll see the 35mph sign!

Cop's POV

Ugh I hate these small town speed traps. This is the reason I avoid little small town highways like the plague. I'll drive 70 miles out of my way to avoid some LA state highways. These games with the changing speed limits every 1/4 mile is not something I'm going to play along with when I can just drive on the interstate. I've never gotten in to any trouble since I can pick up the cops with my 9500 radar detector, but it's still a pain to go from 50 to 25 to 45 to 30 and on and on for a 70 mile stretch. State highways in West Texas I don't mind....since the speed limits are usually 70+...the only thing you have to fear is running out of gas with no cell service!

What kind of radar did he get you with (should be written on the ticket)? K, Ka, Laser? Just to play devil's advocate, the only way I can see this remotely working in the county's favor is that the cop would have to be running stationary K or Ka band radar (in which his radar could see you in the 15mph zone long before you see him sitting in his Crown Vic playing solitaire on his laptop), and of course, you would have to be accelerating in anticipation of the 35mph zone (and I'm not sure what the verbiage of the speed law is, but I'm guessing the leading edge of your car would have to be past the sign before you start accelerating, even though we all gun it when we see the new speed limit sign!).

I'm only grasping at straws to make a case for the cop, since what you say really doesn't matter in a legal matter of Joe Schmoe v. the Police. Who's the judge going to side with when you appear for your "fair trial?" A tourist coming to Vegas to party or a duly sworn Officer of the law & revenue generator for the county? As sad as that is, at least we can still lawyer up to keep the insurance company out of it.

My question too is do points transfer from NV to IL? I got a ticket going 75 in a 55 in PA (same thing, it was a 65, went to a 55 for an instant and back to a 65...he got me in the 55 and pulled me out of a line of cars...no doubt because of the Lexus and ther MD plates). I called my insurance agent and he said the points would not transfer to my MD record so it would not effect my rates. It never did and my driving record is still clean 2 years after pleading guilty and paying the fine.

Those speediing ticket lawyers suck...and that whole situation sucks...

So the speed limit before the 35mph sign was 15mph?

From where he was sitting, he can't see any of the road that's in the 15mph section. As soon as he sees you, you've already passed the 35mph sign, therefore the speed limit at that point is 35. That's a bum ticket...

Was he using a hand held radar gun? Or was it the radar type that's mounted in the car?

I wonder if he was using "instant on" radar, not running radar. So as soon as he sees you come into view, he turns on the radar and has your speed JUST as a radar detector would go off- so it wouldn't help you slow down.

But i bet he was running constant radar. Just sits in that spot with the radar mounted on the windshield, lets it run 24/7. He can sit there and do paperwork, and when the radar senses a speeding car, it emits a "beeping" sound that alerts the officer that you've come into radar, and he can chase you down... This is the type of radar that a radar detector will help with, as it gives you warning radar is ON about half a mile before that spot.

Hey that is Harry Reid's slush fund your messing with....Just pay up and enjoy the healthcare and pad his pocket....