Gx470 Secondary Air Injector System

Jenny sue

Hello all,

I have a 2005 GX470 with 87,000 miles. Does anyone have experience with the secondary air injection system? My dashboard lights are all on, VSC, Trac, Engine. The service department at one dealership told me that the entire engine needed to be disassembled to replace 2 switching valves and the intake manifold gaskets. I should add that the first dealership told me that this system pumps air into the cadillac converter and it can damage other components.

Another mechanic told me He said that my car still held it's vacuume and put out air. He informed me that the system only comes on in the morning for a few minutes and I don't need to panic and spend the $1,400 just yet. He told me that he had an identical problem in another GX470, which he did replace the valves on and it did not solve the problem, the lights are still on. That mechanic suspects that the problem may be the air pump under the intake manifold.

Does anyone have any experience or advise with this problem?

Jenny Sue

Jenny could you be more specific, what are the warning lights in the cluster coming up. Secondly did you recently service your truck apart from the dealer. The problems you have quoted, do you have loss of power,, low compression, and does the vehicle have momentary jerk on start, loss of acceleration. or if you open the hood after start check if you have some valves train noise and engine vibration. Did you recently use any fuel injectors additives into your tank gas.Sometimes these deposits usually go and sit into these intake valves, this would likely decrease engine performance. Just try if you can get into Autozone and ask them if these throw up some codes. Maybe that would be best start to troubleshoot.

• 4 years later...

Just picked up my 2011 GX from the dealership this afternoon after having the identical problem fixed (replaced airpump). It has 81,000 miles on it and fortunely I bought it as a certified used vehicle with 29,000 miles and it came with a 100,000 mile warranty. Didn't cost me a cent today. I am convinced now that I will buy only used certified vehicles because the warranty is so much better than a new car. Doesn't make much sense does it?!

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I am all of a sudden getting all sort of errors on my lexus GX 470 :C1201, 0418, P2445 with vsc off, track off and check engine lights all on.

I purchased a 2005 lexus GX 470 back in 2013 with 70K miles and 3 years later it is giving me some problems. I barely drive this vehicle to commute to work and right now the mileage is 76K just to demonstrate that the vehicle is barely driven, 6k miles in 3 years. Took it to the Sterling Mcall Lexus dealership in Houston and they tab me a $3000 to fix the issue when I see in different forums that this problem is experienced by many lexus owners. Right now I am just frustrated that Lexus is rripping its customers with a known issue with its 2003-2009 GX 470 which Toyota has extended the warranty for the same issue that Tundra and 4Runner with same engine are experiencing.

• 2 months later...

Just got the exact same issue.  Truck is underpowered now,  4x4 is off, traction control off. 

They want $2300 to fix it.   Seems like a defect to me.   I am trying to call Lexus to see if they will help with repairs as this is becoming chronic.    So much for Lexus being a reliable brand.  

• 4 years later...

my 2005 gxr70 has had the same indicator lights twice now.  Once at 110000 miles and again at 160000.  All I did was to reset the compu5ter flag that momentarily indicates a problem.  After the reset the car triggered the indicators again ( 40000 miles later)  another reset and all is fine.  Smog tests have been simple pass. California no less.  sounds like dealers were trying for expensive business.