Front Passenger Seat Went Up And Won't Come Back

My son had a carfull of kids and after they left the front passenger seat would not go back. All other functions worked except going back. After 2 hours of playing with it and since it was all the way forward you could not get to the 2 bolts. So we finally figured out that there are 4 bolts that hold the seat to the frame, loosen them, slide the seat back and then got to the front two bolts. Could not find any loose wires and so we started manually turning the shaft and the seat came back. Then we noticed that on the front of the seat were two phillips screws that hold a plastic shield that covered the shafts the turns and moves the seat up and back. A socket set with a 12mm socket and an extension was all we need to manually get the seat back off the dash. At least it is back to a comfortable position and in my free time I can read more about what to check next.

My son had a carfull of kids and after they left the front passenger seat would not go back. All other functions worked except going back. After 2 hours of playing with it and since it was all the way forward you could not get to the 2 bolts. So we finally figured out that there are 4 bolts that hold the seat to the frame, loosen them, slide the seat back and then got to the front two bolts. Could not find any loose wires and so we started manually turning the shaft and the seat came back. Then we noticed that on the front of the seat were two phillips screws that hold a plastic shield that covered the shafts the turns and moves the seat up and back. A socket set with a 12mm socket and an extension was all we need to manually get the seat back off the dash. At least it is back to a comfortable position and in my free time I can read more about what to check next.

Once you manually moved the seat back, see if it will move forward with the switch. If so the switch is bad. The seat has 4 dc motors, the switches that control these motors are double pole, double throw, center off. If the motor moves in one direction, but not the other, the the control switch is normally the problem. If you own a digital volt meter, you could measure the voltage to the switch. If not, if it moves in one direction and not the other, you have a bad switch.

Once you manually moved the seat back, see if it will move forward with the switch. If so the switch is bad. The seat has 4 dc motors, the switches that control these motors are double pole, double throw, center off. If the motor moves in one direction, but not the other, the the control switch is normally the problem. If you own a digital volt meter, you could measure the voltage to the switch. If not, if it moves in one direction and not the other, you have a bad switch.