Vvti Vs Non Vvti

Im looking at swapping the 1jzgte into my 92 sc300. However I am having trouble finding one with a auto tranny that is non vvti. Is there much of a diff? Will the shop I take it to run into more problems with the vvti? Or if I get the ecu and everything for it should i be ok? Just throwing a question out there. Dont dog on me for stayin with a auto, cant afford the manual swap, Ill do it later.

And any pointers on what to upgrade?

MSD Tach Adaptor

HKS Fuel Cut Defencer

Greddy Speed Limiter Cut Controller

Walbro Fuel Pump

And I probably wont stay with the stock intercooler or piping

Any advice would be appreciated!

Don't really think the 1jz-MarkIII(chassis) came in an auto. Manual will probably be the only option. If you're still considering buying the 1jz, don't worry about the vvt-1 since it's not applicable on the 1jz at all.

What you're thinking of is the 2jz MarkIV(chassis). I've heard of different stories about the 2jz w/ vvt-i and non. There will always be modifications that need to be done when you swap.

Best practice is to find a qualified shop, one that's done many swaps and specialize with Toyotas'. Also, buy a complete engine w/ tranny, ecu and so on.

You have a lot of searching to do before this can be possible. Search through this forum and you'll find a ton of information.

Im looking at swapping the 1jzgte into my 92 sc300. However I am having trouble finding one with a auto tranny that is non vvti. Is there much of a diff? Will the shop I take it to run into more problems with the vvti? Or if I get the ecu and everything for it should i be ok? Just throwing a question out there. Dont dog on me for stayin with a auto, cant afford the manual swap, Ill do it later.

And any pointers on what to upgrade?

MSD Tach Adaptor

HKS Fuel Cut Defencer

Greddy Speed Limiter Cut Controller

Walbro Fuel Pump

And I probably wont stay with the stock intercooler or piping

Any advice would be appreciated!

Yea I went to GS Motorsports in Dallas, Im down here in Tyler TX bout an hour from them. They have done several of these swaps before. It took me several weeks of digging to find a shop thats messed with them. Autobahn in Houston does them too but thats to far a drive for me. They can get the right motor I need for $1500 with the auto tranny, pressure test it replace gaskets and seals and put it in for $2500 and thats with fabbing the intercooler (front mount) and piping, but thats without tuning, thats just getting it to run. He also suggested a standalone system, so I wouldnt need all those parts I listed in my earlier post. He said with about 12 pounds of boost on the stock turbos he has seen the 1jz-gte put down 330hp at the wheels with a standalone and some tuning. Im not looking to blow doors off people, just have a fun daily driver. He said for about $5000 he would handle it all on top of polishing the manifold and prettying up the motor (aluminum radiator, etc). Im thinking of moving to a smaller Stinger battery too so I can run the intercooler piping down the extreme edges of the bay going down into the bumper. He said it makes it look really clean. The $5000 does not include the stand alone btw, id need to find one. Which leads me to my next question, which standalone system would be best for this little setup? I dont need anything drastic, but the tech said go for a standalone instead of a piggyback, that it would be much easier.

Any suggestions on a standalone system?

• 2 weeks later...

why would you want a 1j that is not vvt-i?

and you can just put that engine in you car with minimal mods to the car.

as long as you have the engine's factory ECU the motor should run fine without excessive boost

you really shouldn't need a stand alone computer until you mess with the pressure or change turbos