2000 Rx300 Service Manual

Anthony C.

I am a new Owner and new to the forums. I just picked up a 2000 RX300 with 150,000 miles on it. I have a few minor repairs I need to make and I plan to replace the timing belt and water pump over the next few weeks. I searched on here for a service manual but the posts were all from 2007 and the links dead. Does anyone have a service manual in .pdf? If so can you post it and add alink. Any help will be appreciated. Great Forums and I plan on hanging around here for a long time!

If your just doing mechanical work, that identical motor is a pretty common one across the Toyota line. However Chilton’s makes a 15 buck manual that specifically covers the RX 300-330 & Toyota Highlander. It says 2001-2007 but one call to Toyota would confirm that critical timing settings are the same for a 2000 (or not). The rest is just twiddling buts and bolt.

If you can't find it at your local box store try Amazon.

Regards, PK

E-Bay is an excellent place to pick up factory manuals, either on DVD (more likely) or paper. I have purchased Chilton and Haynes (same co. now) several times and have found them to be more about frustration than anything else. They just leave out and skip over too much.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 years later...

I recently purchased a 2001 RX300 and the VSC light and CEL come about 200 miles after cleared.  checked all vaccum lines behind air filter, all connected. How hard is it for a novice garage less mechanic to change the Knock sensor? Could changing the o2 sensors solve the knock sensor issue?

The knock sensor is a microphone that listens for knocks inside the motor. It often resembles a spark plug sticking out of the block somewhere. In your case it looks like a bolt. Being it sticks out of the block means it's usually deep down into the abyss of microscopic space to move around. So often mechanics quote expensive prices to replace it. 

I'm not familiar with your automobile but will say if the knock sensor is original it may simply be the connection point between the wire to your computer and the sensor itself has enough corrosion to cause lack of electrical connection. Or over time the sensor itself has broken due to 20 years of a vibrating engine.

If you have gone to the trouble to unplug the darn thing and clean the connection point it's a good time to replace the sensor. One thing I learned is wrapping it with a little teflon tape before installing soaks up some of the vibration and can aid in lifespan. 

Now if your motor is actually knocking enough to cause the sensor to hear it changing the 02 sensor is probably not going to help. Bad 02 sensors usually cause the engine to add more fuel to the combustion, which probably won't cause a knock. If over time the motor oil was not changed often or a filter a tiny bit of residue on the main bearings could cause a knock. There is such a tiny gap between the bearing and block that it doesn't take much to cause one to get too hot. 

But on a happy note it's probably the knock sensor is the issue. Now if your friend says "I didn't know they made those with diesel engines" then you probably have a knock. 

This video may help.