235/50/17 Tires Awesome

jim pittsburgh

just an FYI

I've been a bit dissatisfied with the handling of my 07 ES 350 since I bought it about a year ago...

Seems that most of the problems were related to the crappy OEM tires... installed a set of 235/50/17 ( within 1% of stock dia)

Continental Extreme Contact DWs and they have made a world of difference... huge improvement in handling, traction (wow) and body roll... and they fit just fine!

They are a very tiny bit louder than the stock tires, which has been the only "con" so far... have less than 1000 miles on them so far... just took off the winter tires a few weeks ago here in Pittsburgh.

just passing along the info .. that this size fits perfectly... and that I like my tire choice after soing a whole bunch of research.

I just put Michelin Primacy’s on my ES and they are to die for. Quiet as can be, smooth, etc. I am SO happy with the purchase. My mileage did drop a bit, but I don’t care! They are SO smooth!

I just put Michelin Primacy’s on my ES and they are to die for. Quiet as can be, smooth, etc. I am SO happy with the purchase. My mileage did drop a bit, but I don’t care! They are SO smooth!

I just had a set installed a couple of weeks ago too.

Went with 225/55-17.Just missed the $70 rebate. :cries:

These tires are fantastic.Quiet and so smooth.

Which Primacy's? All season or Summer only? How bad is the speedometer off?

I have the Michelin Primacy MXV4 which is a Grand Touring All Season tire.

225/55-17 are .21" of more sidewall height and .4" wider.

Slightly more sidewall height for a bit better ride quality and .4" wider for better look.

Speedometer reads 65 but actual speed is 66 MPH.

Jim's 235/50/17's are very,very close to stock size tires when it comes to speedometer reading.

At 65,he's actually going 64.85 MPH.

His tires are .39" wider than mine and .79" wider than the stock size.

Both our larger tire sizes work well.

Can you post some pictures? I'd like to see the wider tires on the car...

Here's my 225's for a .4 wider look.Didn't want to go wider than that.

Can't really tell by the pics but the tires do look nicer in person in my opinion.

tire.jpg

tire2.jpg

tire3.jpg

sorry was off line for a short bit

I'll take and post some pics ASAP... OBTW still love the tires...

I just installed the Primacy on my car. had to replace the first set after a week due to a shake. They balanced them twice and still couldn't get rid of the shake.

2nd set worked like a charm. They are quiet but ride is slightly stiffer. Maybe just me. I had my winter michelin pilots before the primacy. the pilot ride is amazing but expected I think from a winter tire.

I would recommend the Primacy. Good price and not a bad tire at all.

What are the tires inflated to? Make sure they are inflated to the pressure as posted on the driver's doorframe. I bet they're overinflated.

Sorry for the delay. Tire pressure is at 30 psi. The only reason I feel or think I am experiencing a stiffer ride is there is a noise that comes from my left dash board only with my summer tires on (or a pot holes in the winter). Seems to disappear with the Michelin Pilots.

Either way, for the money, its a good tire.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had a set installed a couple of weeks ago too.

Went with 225/55-17.Just missed the $70 rebate. :cries:

These tires are fantastic.Quiet and so smooth.

How's the accuracy of the speedometer compared to stock tires w/ 225/55-17 Michelin's on your 2010 ES and is the cornering noticably better? I was considering Sumotomo 225/55-17 HTR a/s P01 since the revs per mile are the same as my stock Bridgestone 215/55-17.

harryn

I'm concerned that knowing that the 2007 and 2010 ES are 'almost identical' may not be the safe answer for me if Lexus made even the most minor changes in the 2010 ES that reduce wheel clearances and cause a 235/50r17 (2 sizes wider than stock) to rub. Right now I'm considering 225/55r17 since the 2009 Camry had 225/50r18 as an option.

harryn

if you do a web search, you can easily find a web page that will give you a tire size comparison, I happen to use http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tells you the effect on your odometer/ speedometer, width, radius and circumference difference.... then go out to your car, turn the wheel all the way to the right or

left... stick your hand between the tire and the fender liner and feel around for how much clearance you have... the tires the I bought are almost exactly the same circumference, just a little wider... 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch...no clearance problems at all...

And even if the rubbed a little when the wheels were at lock... how many times do you ever drive the car with the wheels at the stops?

I'm concerned that knowing that the 2007 and 2010 ES are 'almost identical' may not be the safe answer for me if Lexus made even the most minor changes in the 2010 ES that reduce wheel clearances and cause a 235/50r17 (2 sizes wider than stock) to rub. Right now I'm considering 225/55r17 since the 2009 Camry had 225/50r18 as an option.

harryn

The 2007 and the 2010 are exactly identical as pertains to the wheels.

• 3 months later...

I know that there are many posts and threads about tires for the ES350. But, just wanted to add my two cents worth. I have a 2008 ES350 ultra (Maroon) and am on an extended retirement road trip. I live in Arlington, Texas and am, today, in Bangor Maine with my daughter and her family. So far I have put 2500 miles on my car. On the third day of my trip while I was in Lebanon, Tenn, I had a set of 4 Michelin Primacy MXM4's put on. They were a bit pricey, but what a difference. I just love these tires and would recommend them to any ES350 owner. B-T-W, they have a 50,000 mile warranty. Also, I did get the $70.00 rebate.

I know that there are many posts and threads about tires for the ES350. But, just wanted to add my two cents worth. I have a 2008 ES350 ultra (Maroon) and am on an extended retirement road trip. I live in Arlington, Texas and am, today, in Bangor Maine with my daughter and her family. So far I have put 2500 miles on my car. On the third day of my trip while I was in Lebanon, Tenn, I had a set of 4 Michelin Primacy MXM4's put on. They were a bit pricey, but what a difference. I just love these tires and would recommend them to any ES350 owner. B-T-W, they have a 50,000 mile warranty. Also, I did get the $70.00 rebate.

Your so right. I just purchased my 2010 ES and I had them take off the Bridgestone (Torax?) that came on it and put Michelin Primacy's on. I credit Steve W. for convincing me of the Primacy's value.

Have a great trip!

Paul