Is My Speedometer Crapping Itself?

david1walker

I have a 95 LS400, and yesterday I was driving down the expressway at 70ish, and all of the sudden my speedometer needle went to 0, then right back to 70...all within 1 second. I wasn't sure what was going on, but then about 10 minutes later, it did it again. Is this a sign that the cluster is starting to take a dump? Any ideas as to any other things it could be????

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Does the dash get dim as well? This is a common problem on the LS with the dash. You may have to replace the capacitors on the circut board behind the dash as they are starting to fail. I replaced the capicitors and the dash issues were fixed. On a related note, I also have a 95 legend gs and my speedometer starting going crazy. Same thing, 65-0 back to 80 back to 65, all over the place. When I had the shop replace one of my tires they said that my power steering rack (rack and pinion) was leaking. I researched it on a legend site and the speed sensor is close to the rack and pinion. I think it's leaking on it and causing the speedometer to get all kinds of different readings. Just a thought...........

Does the dash get dim as well? This is a common problem on the LS with the dash. You may have to replace the capacitors on the circut board behind the dash as they are starting to fail. I replaced the capicitors and the dash issues were fixed. On a related note, I also have a 95 legend gs and my speedometer starting going crazy. Same thing, 65-0 back to 80 back to 65, all over the place. When I had the shop replace one of my tires they said that my power steering rack (rack and pinion) was leaking. I researched it on a legend site and the speed sensor is close to the rack and pinion. I think it's leaking on it and causing the speedometer to get all kinds of different readings. Just a thought...........

I don't believe the dash is getting dim; however, it only has done this during the day so far...and I haven't noticed. From what I know about these cars, the speed sensors are located on the back of the transmission, so any power steering fluid that may be leaking (and there is some)wouldn't be getting on it. I just don't want to start throwing money at parts, if I can help it.

It was just a thought but I guess because they are different cars it isn't the same. No other ideas here, however you probably want to look at the power steering leak. I just replaced my pump because the leak drips right onto the alternator and shorts it out. I ended up replacing the whole thing, but more than likely it is the gasket/seal under the reservoir where it attaches to the pump that is causing the leak. That is a fairly simple fix and only like a $3 part for the gasket. Only have to drain the reservoir, remove like 3 bolts and pull the resevoir off to replace the gasket. Sorry could help out more with the speedometer.