1997 Es300 Problems

New to the board. Please help to shed some light on my issues. 1997 es300, car is consuming gas at an incredible rate. I am having to push the gas pedal all the way to get going and all of the sudden it will haul tail. I never now how its going to act. I punch the gas and it either lags or it goes. Car shakes when under a load(going up a hill). Makes commuting in Dallas traffic a nightmare.

Is the CEL on? Have you checked for codes? How many miles is on the car, and how long have you had it? Have you inspected the hoses / vac lines under the hood? One of the first suspects would be the air/fuel sensors, or a leaking injector.

CEL is on, its my GF's car and she had the codes check awhile back and it came back as a bad gas cap. Car has roughly 160,xxx miles on it. She's had it 3 years.

Is the CEL on? Have you checked for codes? How many miles is on the car, and how long have you had it? Have you inspected the hoses / vac lines under the hood? One of the first suspects would be the air/fuel sensors, or a leaking injector.

CEL is on, its my GF's car and she had the codes check awhile back and it came back as a bad gas cap. Car has roughly 160,xxx miles on it. She's had it 3 years.

I assume the code was for a small/large evap leak since there is not specific code for the gas cap. It sounds like the light has been on for a little while, that you did not fix the leak (I probably woul dnot have bothered myself). I would have the codes read again since if the light has been on, you do not know if there are any further codes. At 160k a good possibility would be fuel/air sensors, they are recommended to be replaced at around 80k. When they go bad the gas mileage can drop faster than Obamma's popularity. But do not assume that I am recommending replacing the sensors. You must first check the codes and them proceed. I do not believe in shotgunning when troubleshooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume the code was for a small/large evap leak since there is not specific code for the gas cap. It sounds like the light has been on for a little while, that you did not fix the leak (I probably woul dnot have bothered myself). I would have the codes read again since if the light has been on, you do not know if there are any further codes. At 160k a good possibility would be fuel/air sensors, they are recommended to be replaced at around 80k. When they go bad the gas mileage can drop faster than Obamma's popularity. But do not assume that I am recommending replacing the sensors. You must first check the codes and them proceed. I do not believe in shotgunning when troubleshooting.

Ok, got the codes checked again. Its misfiring on cylinders 1,3, & 5. Mechanic replaced the coils for those and it didn't resolve the problem. Any ideas??

I dont know if you solve the issue but I have had a same problem. When I pushed the gas, the car wasnt accelerated and when you stoped at traffic light, it was shaking like somebody pushing back and forth. If you have this kind of feelings with the car, go check the O2 sensors. My CEL was on and I checked and the code for each O2sensors was saying that O2 sensor was responding slowly. So I went to my mech and changed the O2 sensors. Now, I dont have any problem with the car since 2 years. It is strong, reliable. I love my lexus :)

Ok, got the codes checked again. Its misfiring on cylinders 1,3, & 5. Mechanic replaced the coils for those and it didn't resolve the problem. Any ideas??

When our car threw a misfire code it was the MAF sensor. The sensor was $90 and it took about 5 minutes to change myself.

It could also be the engine control module (ECM), but you'll need to rule out some other things before that. It's unlikely that you had three coils go bad at the same time, so I think your mechanic was going the wrong direction. Do you have a Haynes or Clymer manual for the car? Knowledge is power.