90 Ls400. What Is Leaking Here?

sebastor

Hi guys.

What is leaking here? Is this bad and how bad? What do i need to do what are parts costs ? If you can provide as much details i would really appreciate it.

Also i included an extra pic of rusting and welded muffler pipe? Why is that welded. My older by mileage lex mufflers were in great shape not rusty and welded. BTW is this surface rust? What is condition of this weld job and pipe itself. What should i expect from this. This is first in row muffler not second one. Thank you in advance.

Leakage of what ?

cimg14261200.jpg

Why is the muffler so rusty and what's with the weld job?

cimg14271200.jpg

Hi guys.

What is leaking here? Is this bad and how bad? What do i need to do what are parts costs ? If you can provide as much details i would really appreciate it.

Also i included an extra pic of rusting and welded muffler pipe? Why is that welded. My older by mileage lex mufflers were in great shape not rusty and welded. BTW is this surface rust? What is condition of this weld job and pipe itself. What should i expect from this. This is first in row muffler not second one. Thank you in advance.

That's the differential. The transmission's at the other end of the car. Why would you think that's the transmission? Both of your axles appear to be covered in a mist of fluid too, they probably have blown CV joints or the diff's output seals are pouring, with that much it's at least a half quart low.

The entire exhaust system is welded, how else would they put pieces together? The part is question is a resonator, not a muffler. And the amount of rust is likely due to the car being from the North or a Coastline, it is 20yrs old now, any corrosion you'll see on a car begins with the exhaust system.

Sorry for being clueless bro. lol. RMD that was my second thought that it's differential but tranny is not smooth as my previous ls. It's slightly jerks sometimes. Not smooth other words. I checked tranny fluid and it's not dirty. I mean it's golden but not dark brown. So what does that leaking diff mean for me i guess? What cost am i looking at and how do i replenish the fluid in diff ?

Would being low mean jerking when putting in gears or is that strictly related to tranny? Would flushing tranny resolve jerking issues also ? Sorry for throwing a lot of questions but mechanical portion is not my strong side.

• 1 month later...

The vent for the differential is right above where the fluid is running down the aluminum plate on the back. If you look at the passenger side of the differential itself, you will see 2 recessed 10mm hexagon plugs. the top one is (obviously ) the fill plug, the other is the drain plug. The fluid should barely trickle out of the top hole when thre diff is full. If it doesnt, (and it probably needs to be changed anyway) drain it, get 3 pints of GL-5 diff oil and re-fill it. The "spray" of oil on the axles is from the side axle seals. kinda involved to replace.

Tranny fluid should be red... cherry red...

That is the differential with fluid on it.

Whats with the weld job? Thats just how Toy/Lex did it. More restriction = More quiet ;) lol!

:cheers: