Engine Fan Delete

Bali26

My original fan clutch was starting to go so I bought a new one online (Hayden brand). The problem is that it is too "stiff", especially when cold so when I start the car, it blows air like a jet taking off.

I'm thinking of just taking it off. There are two more electric fans in the front of radiator.

My original fan clutch was starting to go so I bought a new one online (Hayden brand). The problem is that it is too "stiff", especially when cold so when I start the car, it blows air like a jet taking off.

I'm thinking of just taking it off. There are two more electric fans in the front of radiator.

The two electric fans won't be enough. Might help to read this link:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/fanconversion.html

I wouldn't do it. The clutch fan with a proper shroud will move more air than any electric fan ever could, especially when done like that link, since the shroud is gone. The airflow is less directed. You also have to consider that if a clutch fan goes out the fan still turns, while when an electric fan goes out you have zero airflow.

The two front mounted fans are mainly for A/C engagement, they do come on but only when the engine temp reaches high enough.

So, I took off the fan today and took it for a drive and I was surprised that it didn't overheat a bit. The temp needle goes up to middle just like before but much sooner now.

The engine is a lot quiter at startup and idle. I drove about 1 miles uphill after reaching normal temp, in 2nd position on shifter and about 5 miles more on level. Pulled over and let it idle, checked the engine, no signs of overheat. I thought i heard the electric fans come on but when i popped the hood they were off.

Left the clutch on it, just took the plastic blade unit off. Your results may vary.

So, I took off the fan today and took it for a drive and I was surprised that it didn't overheat a bit. The temp needle goes up to middle just like before but much sooner now.

The engine is a lot quiter at startup and idle. I drove about 1 miles uphill after reaching normal temp, in 2nd position on shifter and about 5 miles more on level. Pulled over and let it idle, checked the engine, no signs of overheat. I thought i heard the electric fans come on but when i popped the hood they were off.

Left the clutch on it, just took the plastic blade unit off. Your results may vary.

Basing your findings off the temp gauge isn't a good idea. Most Japanese cars, including Toyotas, don't have a true variable gauge, it registers cold, operating temp, and hot, but without any true measure of temperature. The middle zone can be anywhere from 180 degrees to 240 degrees, and it's typical for it not to register full hot until it's too late.

Basing your findings off the temp gauge isn't a good idea. Most Japanese cars, including Toyotas, don't have a true variable gauge, it registers cold, operating temp, and hot, but without any true measure of temperature. The middle zone can be anywhere from 180 degrees to 240 degrees, and it's typical for it not to register full hot until it's too late.

I agree. Lexus gauges are buffered as are other brands, most noteably, Jaguar. This is to appease drivers who get upset at the slightest variance in their guages. Before you start driving with the a/c on I'd get an accurate temp reading. I still don't think those a/c fans wil be enough when the hot weather arrives!

Well good luck to you however ill advised your modification may be. You didn’t mention the ambient temperature of your test or whether you had the A/C on. The "confirmation" you feel you achieved might be quite different when its 100+ degrees outside, the A/C cranking at full blast and you're grinding along in stop and go traffic during rush hour.

The Lexus engineers didn't include the fan just for the fun of it. There was probably thousands of man hours of thermal analysis done on your cars cooling system during the design phase. I doubt the fan and clutch was included as a last minute throw in. That being the case it shouldn't be a throw away item either.

I also own a 240SX that I use for autocross competitions, the first 'mod' kids do with these is to remove the clutch fan and shroud and just use the OE fitted electric fan. It works alright on a 4cylinder with loads of room around it, but the Lexus V8 is crammed into the car with zero clearance anywhere, so there's limited airflow around it already. I'd bet underhood temps have risen 20 degrees without it installed, and substantially more on a hot day in traffic. Again, your call, but it's your head gaskets too.

Thanks for your replies. The next step is to borrow my friend's temp gauge. This is not a "mod", like i said my clutch was too stiff and it took a long time to get up to temp. Plus I like to experiement.

Its about 8 degrees C here.

I didn't use my a/c, don't use it usually. My coolant temp sensor and thermostat are new. The electric fans came on today after a long drive for about 5 minutes. The coolant hoses were hot but not too hot to touch.

This is only till I buy an oem clutch, sometime soon.

• 9 years later...