I Had The "white Dust On Dash" Problem Fixed

Its not really that you're expecting too much, but I don't think its unreasonable for them to try and find good like new parts vs new parts for this kind of repair. Does that make sense? So basically...you're both right.

I thought about the age deal after I posted that...

Be sure to get what he said about the parts in writing...

Keep us posted...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like i said in an earlier post, Thursday afternoon (around 2pm) the service manager called me to say he still hadn't found a donor car, and suggested i pick the car up Friday and return it whenever he could find one with decent parts. Friday morning (yesterday) at 10am my service advisor left me a voicemail (i was sleeping) stating, "whatever you discussed with 'the service manager's name' is all set and the car's finished, so you can pick the car up whenever you can." I just assumed that yet again she was out of the loop, considering the previous evening i was told a donor car wasn't located yet. But when i picked the car up, the car was actually finished! My service advisor told me he was able to locate an 08 Rx350 on the CPO lot with decent enough parts so he did the swap.

They replaced (well, switched) the nav unit, nav screen, shifter plate, and ENTIRE vinyl covered piece that goes around the shifter. However.... the parts aren't entirely in "new" condition. The radio has a few light scratches around the volume dial and seek buttons (probably caused by fingernails while rotating the dial, and keys rubbing on the buttons) and there's some dust behind the radio LCD. The "climate" button on the nav part is really shiny compared to the rest (since it's used most often) and the parts smell like cigarette smoke (most likely from a smoker's car).

I asked if these were the best parts he could find, and my service advisor told me that they were... So i just said fine and drove away.

When i got home, i noticed the nav screen was a little misaligned. I noticed the same thing on my original unit, but this one was REALLY bad. It was missing a good 1/8" of the screen on the left and i couldn't see the bottom of the lower icons. So i removed the parts from the car and tried to re-align the nav screen myself. With a little dremeling and sanding, i was able to adjust the brackets that hold the screen in place. Now the screen's centered like it should be and it looks PERFECT! Actually better than it did before :)

I also worked on that shiny "climate" button. I masked off the entire nav unit except for the buttons, and sand blasted them all with this little glass etcher thing i picked up at Michael's a long time ago. It removed the shine and brought the buttons back to their original matte finish.

As far as the radio goes though, i can't remove the scratches on the silver... The piece is made from black plastic with a VERY, VERY thin coat of silver paint. The scratches are light, but still too deep to buff out. And to remove the dust behind the LCD it would require me to take the entire radio apart (did it before, a total pain in the butt) and i'm not really up for doing it again...

5doxzt.jpg

15ocrbq.jpg

k4blf8.jpg

2eyf5e8.jpg

9gxz0p.jpg

1p9w93.jpg

So at this point i'm trying to decide how i feel about the radio, whether i can live with the imperfections or not. My original radio didn't have a SINGLE scratch of any kind... So if by Monday i'm still annoyed by the scratches, i'm calling the service manager up and asking for a better one yet again...

But for the weekend i'm just glad to have my car back!

What would you guys do about the radio?

have you tried cleaning the scratched area with a NON ABRASIVE cleaner, i use my stoner brand (dont laugh) non ammonia window cleaner on the center stack parts, and it seems to help the scratches, frankly as i have posted before i think the interior of the rx is too easy to scratch and few cleaners remove many of the scuffs even on the vinyl parts below the door where your feet reside.

I agree, i can't accept it the way it is...

I went over the radio with a damp cloth and applied 2 coats of some imperial glaze i use on the exterior paint. It made the scratches a "little" less noticeable, but it also made the silver shiny. So there's nothing i can do :(

I'll be making a phone call monday lol...

I agree, i can't accept it the way it is...

I went over the radio with a damp cloth and applied 2 coats of some imperial glaze i use on the exterior paint. It made the scratches a "little" less noticeable, but it also made the silver shiny. So there's nothing i can do :(

I'll be making a phone call monday lol...

Wonder if a Mr. Clean magic eraser might take those scratches out? Just be careful if you try, because it might remove the paint itself..

The magic eraser won't help me here, the paint is too thin :(

I'll have to call the service manager tomorrow (i was too busy today...) about getting another one.

I emailed the service manager today telling him about the scratches and emailed some pictures. He said he would look for a better one and get back to me. So that's good! =)

Hello cduluk

I feel sorry for your car. I just read the whole topic. I suggest keeping contacting the manager on daily basis and when he gives you a deadline, keep calling him every 10 minutes until you speak with him. Inform him that you want a brand new radio with no scratches. They replaced the parts in the first time and this is a direct acknowledgment and recognition that it's their fault. You can take them to the court with a great evidence. Don't actually go to court at this stage but you can use this to push toward replacing the radio immediately (yes immediately) and to replace any other part.

I'll keep on him... If i don't hear from him by Wednesday i'll send him another email. I understand he's gotta look for another donor car, but i shouldn't have to wait this long.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?

He's still claiming he can't find a better radio. I've emailed him 2x a week, and i can tell by his responses (with all the exclamation points) that i am getting annoying. BUT... i'll keep annoying him until he finds one. :wacko:

I fear if i start making more of a scene that he'll tell me to go screw... so i'm trying to be "enforcing" yet still calm for the moment... :blink:

You may also want to remind him that you have limited patience before you're going to start demanding a new radio...

Another e-mail just sent... :whistles:

• 4 months later...

I know this is an OLD topic, but I noticed you said they would not give you a loaner because you were 21...is that a RI law? I was under 21 when I got my first Lexus and never had a problem getting a loaner. After all, it is YOUR insurance that covers the car in the event of an accident.

I know this is an OLD topic, but I noticed you said they would not give you a loaner because you were 21...is that a RI law? I was under 21 when I got my first Lexus and never had a problem getting a loaner. After all, it is YOUR insurance that covers the car in the event of an accident.

Hmm... actually i'm not sure. It was a long time ago, but i'm pretty sure they told me i'd have to be at least 25yo to take a loaner. I could be wrong though...

• 1 month later...

Just read the whole thread and this has got to be the lexus owner's worst nightmare. I really hope lexus makes this right and keep up the good fight...seems almost like contact sports.

Long ago when lexus was at its peak....lexus damaged my car while installing a windshield, I just took an estimate from a body shop and the general manager just signed me a check on the spot.