Stinky Trans Fluid!

:o Ok,with all the motor rebuilding I am doing I guess some focus should be on the trans. The shop is worried it has that burned up smell like the plates are on the way out. I have always has some clunking gearing down or going into gear a bit. it shifts hard under boost..... For the most part it has changed gears, not slipped or had any grinding. No vibrations or stuck gears. It does have a burnt like smell. The fliud was changed about 4 months ago and the Lexus dealer said it was in fine shape? I asked about the smell the shop told me about. He said they use a Lexus synthetic type. He did not answer the question for me. Is this smell normal? or what you think? :cheers:

:o Ok,with all the motor rebuilding I am doing I guess some focus should be on the trans. The shop is worried it has that burned up smell like the plates are on the way out. I have always has some clunking gearing down or going into gear a bit. it shifts hard under boost..... For the most part it has changed gears, not slipped or had any grinding. No vibrations or stuck gears. It does have a burnt like smell. The fliud was changed about 4 months ago and the Lexus dealer said it was in fine shape? I asked about the smell the shop told me about. He said they use a Lexus synthetic type. He did not answer the question for me. Is this smell normal? or what you think?:cheers:

about your burnt smell. it's true that lexus does use a "special" tranny fluid that you can also buy at autozone. just tell them you want the tranny fluid for the supra. don't ask for the tranny fluid on the lexus because they'll just tell you to go to the dealer and since the supra has the identical drive train, you can just ask for that one. the only draw back is that lexus does put a special additive which you can only get there. either you can shell out a good amount for the whole tranny fluid change or spend like 10 bucks on fluids and go to lexus parts dept and ask them for the special additive. save your self a good amount of cash. good luck. oh yeah, btw, that's why i think your tranny fluid stinks. you don't have that special additive.