Can Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator Kill The Engine?

I was told after a routine oil change at Midas that I needed my fuel pressure regulator (1994 ES300) was bad and the tubing was cracked. I replaced the tubing and the car's been working fine but a couple days ago after driving for about 15 minutes it seemed to run out of gas, CEL came on, and car died. Two hours later I was able to drive it home 15 miles. Then it sat for a week, this morning I drove it to work, 15 miles at about 50mph for the most part, got to my parking spot and it died again...just like it's running on empty (which it isn't).

Question is: can a bad fuel pressure regulator cause the engine to sputter and die? It seems unlikely to me, but I never actually replaced it.

Any opinions would be truly appreciated before I call AAA and have it towed home. >:(

THANK YOU!

When it sputters before it dies it is very possible that the problem is fuel related, and would be one thing to keep in mind while troubleshooting. The first step is to read the codes. What type of mileage do you have on the car? and does it have the original fuel filter?

When it sputters before it dies it is very possible that the problem is fuel related, and would be one thing to keep in mind while troubleshooting. The first step is to read the codes. What type of mileage do you have on the car? and does it have the original fuel filter?

I know, gotta get the codes but I'm afraid to drive the damn thing to the AutoZone a few miles away!

Car has about 150K miles and I don't know if the fuel filter is original or not, but I suspect at some point it's been changed.

My guess is that it is probably the original filter. If you are afraid to drive it, I would suggest checking the filter.

Well I pretended to be a mechanic yesterday after having the car towed home, got my knuckles all !Removed! (kinda cool actually) and all that, but managed to get the regulator out and replace it with the new one. I drove it for about half an hour around my house, no issues. Drove it the 15 miles into work this morning at highway speeds, no issues. Will let it sit while at work today and see how she goes home. If smooth, I believe I may have solved the problem.

CEL is now off.

Anyway, could the fuel filter or the fuel pump fail in such a way...intermittently I mean? Sometimes it works, but then it doesn't, etc... That part isn't an all or none part?

The fuel filter would be a constant failure, you would gennerally start notice it starting under hard aceleration. The fuel pump couldnvery easiliy start off as a intermitent error. At 150k, it is a little early for the pump to fail, but not unheard of. I would still recommend getting the codes checked (do it real soon, or the error will clear).

The fuel filter would be a constant failure, you would gennerally start notice it starting under hard aceleration. The fuel pump couldnvery easiliy start off as a intermitent error. At 150k, it is a little early for the pump to fail, but not unheard of. I would still recommend getting the codes checked (do it real soon, or the error will clear).

Okay, I'll get the codes checked today on my way home (if I make it!) Even if the CEL is out but was on yesterday, will the codes still be in there?

Yes. Inactive codes are stored for a set number of drive cycles (I do not remember how many), the codes will then clear automatically. It is a good idea to know what is stored in case the light comes on again.

I had it checked out with a reader and it passed, no codes. Probably been like four or five starts and stops since the CEL came on, though. It appears to be running well now. I put in a fuel injector cleaner and a tank of high octane (I usually use reg).

If you don't hear from me on this again it means the fix worked!

Otherwise...

THANK YOU, I so appreciate your help.

--mrb

• 2 weeks later...

Well the issue has returned unfortunately. In the past week twice the engine has cut off during driving (not hard acceleration, city driving) after about 15-20 minutes of operation. Oddly, if I let it sit for a few minutes I can re-start it and it works again. Once the CEL came on the other time it didn't. This morning was the most recent, driving about 20 mph, just OFF. I rolled to a stop, opened the hood, looked around, nothing evident, got back in and started her up.

What on earth is going on?? It's been suggested that it's the fuel filter (could that be intermittent, though) or the fuel pump and I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator.

Any and all replies are truly appreciated! Thanks.

Yes. Inactive codes are stored for a set number of drive cycles (I do not remember how many), the codes will then clear automatically. It is a good idea to know what is stored in case the light comes on again.

I had it checked out with a reader and it passed, no codes. Probably been like four or five starts and stops since the CEL came on, though. It appears to be running well now. I put in a fuel injector cleaner and a tank of high octane (I usually use reg).

If you don't hear from me on this again it means the fix worked!

Otherwise...

THANK YOU, I so appreciate your help.

--mrb

With 150k,I would change the filter, it is cheap enough. I would also change the pump. Unless you have the proper tools to check the pressure and volume from the fuel pump you are just guessing. With what a professional mechanic charges per hour you could just buy a pump and install it yourself.

With 150k,I would change the filter, it is cheap enough. I would also change the pump. Unless you have the proper tools to check the pressure and volume from the fuel pump you are just guessing. With what a professional mechanic charges per hour you could just buy a pump and install it yourself.

I'm considering that as I fearfully watch the clock tick towards 5pm and my drive home.

In your opinion is swapping out the fuel filter and/or pump serious work? If you know of a good thread here with DIY instructions I would love the link to it.

How would a mechanic diagnose the problem? Could it be anything else in your opinion, like a fuse or electrical? Thanks George Jetson!

The fuel filter is normally considered routine maint, just as a air filter would be (only not as frequent). It is easy to change, just make sure that the engine is cold. The fuel lines remain under pressure all of the time, so when you disconnect the lines a little fuel will spray out. As long as there are no ignition sources (like a hot exhaust) it is not a problem.

The fuel pump on these cars are much easier than most, most cars require that you drop the gas tank. You can reach the fuel pump from the back seat on these cars. To verify a bad pump, you need to measure the pressure and volume of the pump delivery. Since Toyota did not feel it was necessary to install a test port, you will need adapters to install a gauge. The gauge and adapters would run you a couple bills.

You could swap the Fuel pump relay, it is cheap and easy.

Download the factory service manual (at the top of this page), with common sense precautions this work is easy for a junior mechanic.

Thanks both of youse for your replies.

The car did indeed die on the way home, rush hour traffic on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago...not a great place to have a stalled car. I pushed that beast for about 100 yards to get it out of traffic and had it towed home. Then, of course, when I got home it started up just fine!

I will investigate the fuel pump, fuel filer, and relay this week and let you all know. Hell, I may try to do the repairs myself I had fun replacing the fuel pressure regulator! All to avoid having to shell out the bucks for another car. Nooooooooooo!

THANK YOU again for helping me out, I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.

Fuel pumps or filters never go bad? Good luck with your car, I will not bother to make any more posts on this.

So they finally got to ya Georgie! lol I'm surprised you hung in there for as long as you did. Sometimes you just have to move on. Good call.

Fuel pumps or filters never go bad? Good luck with your car, I will not bother to make any more posts on this.

So they finally got to ya Georgie! lol I'm surprised you hung in there for as long as you did. Sometimes you just have to move on. Good call.

Huh? You can't be serious!! Wow. I am merely reporting what a mechanic I know (the same guy who rebuilt the transmission in this car three years ago) said about the problem when seeing the code and you get *BLEEP*y?

Well, thank you for your past help George Jetson. I'm sorry you took this personally, though I can't figure out why, but you did. My apologies.

And eatingup...your comment was helpful too - lurk around following a thread of someone not car-wise seeking opinions of those in the know until you see an opportunity to be a jerk. Good call. Impressive.

Well perhaps George Jetson over reacted, but he has been trying to give you good advice based on what you have told him.

When your neighbor says fuel pumps and filters rarely fail, that is true depending on how you look at it. Pumps can reliably last 150k miles or so, but then start to fail with increasing frequency. My impression is that you have an old pump, and your symptoms suggest you are experiencing old-pump problems; however, the new information about code p1300 is important. Also, fuel filters 'rarely fail'; however, they become clogged with age and start to restrict the flow of fuel to the fuel rail, while at the same time increasing back pressure to the pump.

Code P1300 suggests a problem with your ignition (probably a bad electrical component or wire). I don't know the '94, so I can't help there.

opportunity to be a jerk

Whoa there mr! You're out of line here! Control yourself! There's no call for you to make this personal. If you can't observe some modicum of decorum in this forum, then I suggest that you not post.

And eatingup...your comment was helpful too - lurk around following a thread

As far as I can tell, this is a public forum. If you don't want yours to be read then do your communication in private - use the pm feature.

Huh? You can't be serious!! Wow. I am merely reporting what a mechanic I know (the same guy who rebuilt the transmission in this car three years ago) said

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this. But understand how it can be interpreted as an insult to George. Here's a member who has patiently been trying to help you out through the whole thread and you post a comment that challenges his contibutions. Posting your mechanic's opinion that the P1300 means a prob w the dist is one thing, but refuting all of George's suggestions regarding the fuel system by pronouncing that pumps and filters never go bad is insulting to say the least. Diagnosing a prob can and often does go down more than one road before you get to the solution. My comment was made in humour that giving advice on this forum can be frustrating at times. None more so than op's who never respond to any advice given or don't post results for their probs. I would suggest that in your future posts, to consider how you present your responses. You're getting advice for free through the generosity and good will of those who have knowledge they're willing to share and think it might help. Appreciate their efforts but certainly feel free to accept it or not. It's often difficult to diagnose online whithout the benefit of seeing the prob, so, much of it can be guesswork. Often you will have differing opinions which doesn't make it any easier. Of course you always have the choice to pay for it at your local shop.

opportunity to be a jerk

Whoa there mr! You're out of line here! Control yourself! There's no call for you to make this personal. If you can't observe some modicum of decorum in this forum, then I suggest that you not post.

And eatingup...your comment was helpful too - lurk around following a thread

As far as I can tell, this is a public forum. If you don't want yours to be read then do your communication in private - use the pm feature.

Huh? You can't be serious!! Wow. I am merely reporting what a mechanic I know (the same guy who rebuilt the transmission in this car three years ago) said

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this. But understand how it can be interpreted as an insult to George. Here's a member who has patiently been trying to help you out through the whole thread and you post a comment that challenges his contibutions. Posting your mechanic's opinion that the P1300 means a prob w the dist is one thing, but refuting all of George's suggestions regarding the fuel system by pronouncing that pumps and filters never go bad is insulting to say the least. Diagnosing a prob can and often does go down more than one road before you get to the solution. My comment was made in humour that giving advice on this forum can be frustrating at times. None more so than op's who never respond to any advice given or don't post results for their probs. I would suggest that in your future posts, to consider how you present your responses. You're getting advice for free through the generosity and good will of those who have knowledge they're willing to share and think it might help. Appreciate their efforts but certainly feel free to accept it or not. It's often difficult to diagnose online whithout the benefit of seeing the prob, so, much of it can be guesswork. Often you will have differing opinions which doesn't make it any easier. Of course you always have the choice to pay for it at your local shop.

Dude. First off, your comment was jerky, man. You could have PM'd George to say that, but you chose to say it publicly. Your choice, I just thought it was a lousy thing to say. As for whether or not I should post here, come on. You didn't expect I would be smiling when I read your comment did you? I don't have to know you personally to know you knew what you were writing. At any rate, look through my previous posts and responses over the past four years and I think you will see I have more than a modicum of decorum!

Secondly, I "refuted" nothing whatsoever! Even George himself said that before 150K it was a little early for the pump to fail (I have 157K) and I did not say they don't fail, I reported what a trusted mechanic who I know personally told me (I would never say that, I am a health care administrator, not a mechanic or anything close) upon reading the code and even then I wrote accurately what he told me which was they "almost never" fail, not that they "never" fail...that's how George re-phrased it. To your point, I have indeed responded to his suggestions and had the codes checked (twice in fact) and both times I immediately reported the results (first time no codes, last night P1300).

I'm sorry if another person's opinion mildly conflicted with George's opinion (but did it, really?) but good grief your two responses were as if I had written something calling someone an idiot and how on earth could they suggest the fuel pump of all things! I know you can't read emotion through typed words but I said or implied nothing whatsoever like that. In fact, in this thread and in the PMs and emails George and I have exchanged privately I have been very appreciative and thankful and said so several times as he knows. I am surprised if he feels I am downplaying his help or his knowledge...my comments will very clearly indicate otherwise. The truth is that these boards are a god send for people like me who don't know much about automobiles. I've saved lots of money, learned a great deal and enjoyed working on my Lexus since I got it several years ago...all based on the good people here who are willing and excited to help. When I personally have had an answer for someone I have offered it.

I believe we are all adults here (or close to it). If I offended, I do apologize. However it is reasonable for those who are offended at something to keep in mind the history of the interaction and perhaps re-read comments that immediately cause feathers to ruffle in the context of what they know about who they are talking with. I simply re-stated what a mechanic told me after I followed George's direction and had the codes read. Then, in the next sentence I said, "Any thoughts?" assuming that this new information might, as you note above, take us "down more than one road".

Either way, I am taking my Lexi to a mechanic who my friend the tranny mech strongly recommended. I will post the results.

Thank you again, particularly George, but also the others who have helped me. This leaves a lousy taste in my mouth, but I DO appreciate sincerely appreciate the help and knowledge sharing.

--mrb

i agree with pretty much most of what people are saying on here :rolleyes: . If your car is dying and your Check light is on get the codes and that can be the cause of it but also keep in mine like they said you might just got a stop up fuel filter and I know for show that make your car die. Need to change those things like once a year ;)

Well perhaps George Jetson over reacted, but he has been trying to give you good advice based on what you have told him.

When your neighbor says fuel pumps and filters rarely fail, that is true depending on how you look at it. Pumps can reliably last 150k miles or so, but then start to fail with increasing frequency. My impression is that you have an old pump, and your symptoms suggest you are experiencing old-pump problems; however, the new information about code p1300 is important. Also, fuel filters 'rarely fail'; however, they become clogged with age and start to restrict the flow of fuel to the fuel rail, while at the same time increasing back pressure to the pump.

Code P1300 suggests a problem with your ignition (probably a bad electrical component or wire). I don't know the '94, so I can't help there.

Thank you Ray. I also believe it's the fuel pump or related based on what I've been told here and what I have researched online. The P1300 threw me, though, which is why I posted the reply and asked for thoughts on it. Thanks for responding.