Timing Belt Question

LEXLVR07

I have not changed my timing belt on my ls and I was wondering where is it located and how do i check it and what to look for and what tools do i need to inspect it. Thanks!!!!

The timing belt is located at the front of the engine behind a bunch of stuff. But, no need to inspect it because it will most likely look fine. However, the belt is something that needs to be changed at a certain mileage (every 90k miles) or time (6 years +). So, your immediate efforts would be best spent trying to determine when the last time the belt was changed (perhaps by a previous owner, if ever). If never changed, you are past due.

Funny to stumble across this particular topic.

My 1988 LS 400 was WAAAY over due for a TB/WP change, as I suspected I was still riding on the original parts.

I was right....

And, it turned out that the Water Pump was JUST starting to leak a bit! As for the Belt, it was beginning to fray.

So while I was at it, I also had my front Strut Rods and front Motor Mounts replaced, got a 4 way alignment (it was off due to bad left Rod) and am good to go and have peace of mind.

The whole job, with Lexus replacement parts (only way to go), ran me $1900.

Worth every penny, because in the 5+ yrs I've owned this car, besides brakes and oil changes, I've never had to put any serious money in to it. So I didn't even flinch at the cost. My mechanic showed me every part removed, all were date stamped 1998. The Strut Rod rubber bushings were cracking, and the Motor Mounts had seperated.

Now the car is tight, ride is smoother, steering is more sure footed, steers straight as an arrow.

Goes to show you how well made these cars really are. But don't wait as long as I did. I just lucked out. If your belt snaps on a non-interference engine, you are effed.

Lexuses71,

You are not effed ( whatever that means ) on a non-interference engine. No damage will result if the timing belt snaps. Only stranded & towed back to one's own garage for repair.......Replacement parts $200-300 ( water pump, belt, & idler bearings ) & one's own time & labor.......not $ 1,900 by some dealer that is ripping you off......a set of factory shop manuals will be the best money one ever spends on their Lexus......

Lexuses71,

You are not effed ( whatever that means ) on a non-interference engine. No damage will result if the timing belt snaps. Only stranded & towed back to one's own garage for repair.......Replacement parts $200-300 ( water pump, belt, & idler bearings ) & one's own time & labor.......not $ 1,900 by some dealer that is ripping you off......a set of factory shop manuals will be the best money one ever spends on their Lexus......

Hard to believe some one paying 1900 for that.... but it is their $$$$

not for me..

Lexuses71,

not for me..

Maybe you didn't really read the OTHER work I mentioned was included for the $1900 total. The TB/WP tensioner replacement work with OEM factory parts and labor was actualy $890.00. More than fair IMHO. The rest of the work was new strut rods & 2 new front Motor Mounts (both were shot), alignment, coolant replacement.

Now, those of you that have the time, the expertise to "do it yourself", mo' power to ya. Do your thing. I don't have time or inclination to do all that work myself, nor do I have the tools or space. And, as I said, for 5 yrs, I have spent squat on this car in heavy maintenence, so to shell this amount out now, and have it all done right didn't even make me flich. Equals $400.00 per yr of owndership.

Maybe some of you assumed I paid $1900 for a TB/WP job only. I ain't THAT crazy!

And I didn't go thru a stealership, I used a highly recommended indepenent Lexus repair

shop in my area. I'm quite satisfied with the outcome.

Lexuses71,

not for me..

Maybe you didn't really read the OTHER work I mentioned was included for the $1900 total. The TB/WP tensioner replacement work with OEM factory parts and labor was actualy $890.00. More than fair IMHO. The rest of the work was new strut rods & new moto mounts, alignment, coolant replacement.

Now, those of you that have the time, the expertise to "do it yourself", mo' power to ya. Do your thing. I don't have time or inclination to do all that work myself, nor do I have the tools or space. And, as I said, for 5 yrs, I have spent squat on this car in heavy maintenence, so to shell this amount out now, and have it all done right didn't even make me flich. Equals $400.00 per yr of owndership.

Maybe some of you assumed I paid $1900 for a TB/WP job only. I ain't THAT crazy!

And I didn't go thru a stealership, I used a highly recommended indepenent Lexus repair

YEP, $35 a month is a good deal.... you done good.. I didn't consider all of it, sorry. AND I am a do it yourselfer, with a young tallented nephew (also a mechanic)..

Lexuses71,

not for me..

Maybe you didn't really read the OTHER work I mentioned was included for the $1900 total. The TB/WP tensioner replacement work with OEM factory parts and labor was actualy $890.00. More than fair IMHO. The rest of the work was new strut rods & new moto mounts, alignment, coolant replacement.

YEP, $35 a month is a good deal.... you done good.. I didn't consider all of it, sorry. AND I am a do it yourselfer, with a young tallented nephew (also a mechanic)..

Billy-

Having some mechanical back up sure helps a lot! You are very lucky. In the old days, I used to work on all my cars, and I've had plenty over the years. They were then a lot simpler to access and work on. I then had the space and the tools. These newer cars are much more complicated, a lot more things in your way and you really do have to know what you're doing. I truly salute those individuals that can tackle a major job like a TB/WP swap out. There are a lot of us (for various reasons) who have to defer to a good, reasonable mechanic and build a trust relationship. I have found such a place. I did find out that the local Lexus dealer would have charged me ~$2600.00 for all that work. Plus, my shop washed the car, eliminated 2 nagging interior rattles, adjusted my idle and replaced my battery.

So(and I am sure you would agree),"value" is a truly subjective thing to the individual.

Lexuses71,

My timing belt snapped and the repair bill was 6K , had to replace the engine . Did I get ripped off by the dealer ?

My timing belt snapped and the repair bill was 6K , had to replace the engine . Did I get ripped off by the dealer ?

If it was a VVT-i engine, no. The later models are interference type and a broken belt leads to piston/valve contact. In those cases, rebuilding the heads that were damaged and pulling the pistons for replacement is easily more costly than dropping another engine in.

Raymond, you may possibly be THE person we have been searching for! Someone who actually had a VVTi trashed due to timing belt.

Can you give us more details? Year, mileage? We are ready for a good old horror story. :lol:

Raymond, you may possibly be THE person we have been searching for! Someone who actually had a VVTi trashed due to timing belt.

Can you give us more details? Year, mileage? We are ready for a good old horror story. :lol:

I have a 1996 ls400 , the miles at the time 130k . Sorry to say I had the belt replaced 5 years ago ....or so I thought , I guess paying for service and getting said service are 2 different things .

I was doing about 60 when I heard a clunk , lucky to get off the road to the shoulder. I was screwed .The Lexus dealer tracked down an engine with 80k miles as a replacement .The engine was 2000 and the service run 3500, sure glad Lexus only charges 120.00 per hour or it really would of sucked .

Thats what its like to be screwed over big time by a mechanic ...anyway that was 2 years ago and my car is still running .

PS I needed to replace my hood strut shocks ,dealer estimate 450 ,I found them online for 27.00 for the pair . Dodged another bullet