Urgent: Overheating Problem. Desperate Please Help!

First a little background on my 95 SC 400. Bought vehicle in July 08 with 183K on it. Vehicle now has 197K on it. At 190K replace timing belt and water pump. Also have done other regular maintenence--oil changes, brakes, etc. NEVER has car run hot. Obviously I don't do a lot of driving--I have a work at home job--consulting. Here's the issue. Last night about 7 PM with the temp outside about 70--I live in Phoenix, AZ-- I was running some errands---had driven maybe 12 miles, when all of the sudden I noticed a strong smell of anti-freeze and noticed that my inside temp gauge--which since I owned the car I had NEVER seen go past the half-way point, was almost in the red. I immediately pulled over and let the car cool down and put water in. First thing this morning, I drove the car to Pep Boys had had them test the cooling system. They told me they found that I had a crack in my radiator on the top, they also said my radiator cap was not holding pressure. They also "Block tested the engine, and found a presence of combustible gasses detected." I have had a noticable--but not overwhelming--smell of gas for quite some time. I also get pretty bad mileage--I probably get 14 miles or so a gallon, and my acceleration is not what it should be. BUT Pep Boys, and subsequently another shop told me what that I need a new motor-since mine has a little over 197K and it would not be worth fixing i.e. doing the head gaskets and pulling the motor apart. They said replacing the cracked radiator and possibly a new thermostat would do no good without doing something about the engine--replacing it. I do not have $6-7 K for a new motor. Also, last night was the very first time I had overheating problems of ANY kind. I can afford $500-700 for a new radiator and thermostat, but $5-6-7 K is out of the question. And for that matter, if doing the head gaskets are in the $2-3 K range, I can't really do that either. I have NO mechanical aptitude, so a "do-it-yourself" fix is out of the question. I have to take it to a shop. I replaced the radiator cap this morning, and the car is still overheating even during my drive this afternoon from my home to my gym and to run errands----about 5-6 miles each way. So I know I have to do something. Any advice. Please help!!!!

It sounds like a classis case of head gasket failure. With your current financial condition a used JDM engine might be the best bet if keeping the car is what you want.

Ok, chill out! You don't need to spend 6 or 7 k unless you take it to the dealer. A used serviceable engine can be had for 1,500.00 or less and a mechanic would probably charge about 600.00 or so to replace it. So figure 2 or 3k will get you back on the road.

I don't know how much damage has already been done to the bottom end of the engine, and that's why I suggest dropping a used motor in as an alternative.

I had to do this on my old 92 Stealth TT AWD and it's a much more difficult job than the rear drive Lexus cars in my opinion.

If you do go the used engine route have them replace the crank and rod bearings before they install the engine, also transfer your timing components since they are almost brand new. Change the oil pump as well.

Good luck and don't despair, everything breaks sooner or later.

Mike

Thanks.... I resolved the situation. Basically Pep Boys called it all wrong. While it's possible that It might be a good idea to have my head gasket changed, the "you'll blow up a new radiator immediately without changing your head gasket or getting a new motor" doom-and gloom they told me turned out to be all wrong. I went to another shop yesterday. The installed a new radiator and thermostat and flushed the cooling system. They also road tested the car. And they checked the engine. I told them what Pep Boys said, they laughed and said that it would not be a bad idea to change the head gasket, but I do not have a blown head gasket or anything close to blown. The oil was fine--no milky appearance or burning It was last changed about 1800 miles ago, but I changed it again yesterday. Also there is NO smoking of any kind--either from the exhaust or in the engine. There are NO leaks in the engine. I also found a place in Phoenix--Ankina Motorsportz-- that installs JDM engines (with about 30-40K on it) for about $1200-1500 INSTALLED, which is way cheaper than doing a head gasket. I've driven the vehicle more than usual yesterday and today---I normally drive around 12 miles a day, the last couple of days I drove about 30-40 miles each day in stop and go traffic. And NO overheating, no antifreeze coming out, no leakage. So it looks like the new radiator, thermostat, and cooling system flush did the trick. Thanks again for your feedback.