Aftermarket Navigation

kilomonk

I have a 98 LS400 - runs perfectly, and I don't want to buy a new model just to get the nav system, although it's tempting...

So, I want to have a navigation system installed. There isn't a Lexus dealer around here (Toyota does my service). Does anyone know of an aftermarket system that will fit the LS400 without too much customizing? I'm assuming the system in the new 430's won't fit an older model.

Scott Miller

Auburndale, FL

Why don't you look at a portable unit. I bought a Garmin Sreet Pilot III a few year ago and it is excellent. They do everything the permanently mounted units do (and more) and you don't have to make a new investment every time you change vehicles. Even though most of my vehicles now have built in navigation systems, the PP3 is still used by my kids when they take long trips and need a good Nav system.

The newest versions are even better than the one I have, are a lot cheaper and you won't have any installation costs.

I agree totally with Markham!

I didn't like the looks of the NAV for the 98-00 - I guess my preference.

I haven't researched these Portable nav units at all, but saw one in CompUSA for about $1000 which was impressive - I'd go that way too.

The latest version of the Garmin street pilot is the 2610. It has a touch screen interface which is nicer than the Street Pilot III.

Magellin makes a new touch screen unit too that is supposed to be good.

Both are very new and maps are much better than my 3yr old version.

The latest version of the Garmin street pilot is the 2610. It has a touch screen interface which is nicer than the Street Pilot III.

Magellin makes a new touch screen unit too that is supposed to be good.

Both are very new and maps are much better than my 3yr old version.

I like the new Magllin touchscreens.

i'd say, as long as you can get the updated software every other year, you'd be happy with the portable ones. My Pioneer is pretty nice, but expensive, since I went with a completely new setup with Hidden radio, and just a screen and remote up in the cabin.

Good luck with your choice.

Hi,

I have the Garmin 2610 and it is excellent !

I like:

1. The portability so that I and the family can use it in our different cars

2. The touch screen which is wonderful by using the rubber tip end of a pencil

3. The changing in color depending time of day

4. The changing of scale of the map as you get closer to the destination

5. You can get the unit for about $800 on the net

For better response (especially the recalculation when you go past the directional advice), I am thinking of getting an external antenna.

VH

91 LS400

03 X5 (4.4)

99 ML320

92 Prelude 4WS Si

91 Galant LS

Hi,

Yes, that is the beauty of it: you just plug in the cigarette lighter and the cord for it is long enough for most cars (I tested on all my cars). The screen dimension from www.garmin.com is:

3.3" W x 1.7" H, 305 x 160 pixels; bright, automotive-grade 8-bit, 256 color LCD display with automatic dimming backlight and touch screen