1997 Es300 With 65k Miles Maintenance Question

My parents have a 1997 es300 with only 65,000 miles. They've had no problems with the car, but it does have the original timing belt still.

My parents had the 60k service done about a year ago and they suggested the next service be the timing belt.

I called the local dealer last week and the service guy thought it was okay to just replace the timing belt, drive belt, water pump, thermostat and gasket for $998.00.

He suggested to skip the tensioner and pulleys (add $500) and do those at the 100k timeline.

I called the local Toyota dealer and they quoted $857.00

I'm tempted to do the belts and water pump myself, if I didn't have to do the tensioner etc..

Can you please give me your opinion if it is safe to skip replacing the tensioner and pulleys due to the low miles, even though the car is nearing 13 years old?

I have a feeling this is a non-interference engine, but I'm not positive.

I'm not sure why the thermostat is included in the $998 quote, I would assume that was replaced along with the coolant at the 60k service.

thanks in advance.

He suggested to skip the tensioner and pulleys (add $500) and do those at the 100k timeline.

I do not follow the timeline. The last service was at 60k, I assume that you are talking about doing the timing belt at 90k, so why would he recommend going back in at 100k to change the tensioner and pulleys? Am I missing something? You should replace the tensioner at every belt change, along with the water pump, cam and crank seals. The pulleys are a good idea (because do you want to risk the bearings lasting for 200k?)

Also I do not see why tensioner and pulleys would add $500, that is too high.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

When my parents picked up their car from the 60k service, the rep suggested they change the timing belt the next time they came in for service (presumably in the next year) I don't know why they didn't call my parents while the car was in service for the 60k to suggest it being done right then and there. My parents should replace the belts based on the age of the belts, as it'll take them another 8 years before they reach 90k on that car.

I called to get a quote on the timing belt change, and the rep said it was okay to replace the tensioner/pulley every other timing belt change.

I agree with you on just doing the job right and not have to worry about it again. The price is high but even the local toyota dealer was just $150 less.

My parents have a 1997 es300 with only 65,000 miles. They've had no problems with the car, but it does have the original timing belt still.

My parents had the 60k service done about a year ago and they suggested the next service be the timing belt.

I called the local dealer last week and the service guy thought it was okay to just replace the timing belt, drive belt, water pump, thermostat and gasket for $998.00.

I called the local Toyota dealer and they quoted $857.00

I'm tempted to do the belts and water pump myself, if I didn't have to do the tensioner etc..

Can you please give me your opinion if it is safe to skip replacing the tensioner and pulleys due to the low miles, even though the car is nearing 13 years old?

I have a feeling this is a non-interference engine, but I'm not positive.

I'm not sure why the thermostat is included in the $998 quote, I would assume that was replaced along with the coolant at the 60k service.

thanks in advance.

Seems high...Do the WP and TB...You can do the termo / seal and drive belt yourself in about 1 hour and about $50. Your car is the non-interference engine engine...A TB should be about $500 from a Lex dealer and about 5% less from a toyo dealer.