97 Lexus Es300 Antifreeze Coolant Problem

Hello guys, i been noticing a problem with my antifreeze coolant tank. about a month ago when i was filling up my coolant, i notice on the top of my left over anti freeze, there was this layor of black, nasty looking oil. I took it to a mechanic and he said probably someone just dump power steering fluid in it since the power steering fluid tank was right next to it. Since i did not do it, i guess it would of been my mom, whom drives the car offend. So my mechanic just drain and wash the tank for me and check that none of it go into the system. Then last night, when i was checking the fluid level, i notice that the black oil was there again. I am starting to think that there might be a leak somewhere that is costing the oil to get in there. I cannot really differentiate the difference between engine oil, power steering fluid so i am not sure where it might be coming from. Anyone here have a clue before i take it to the mechanic again and probably end up getting a very expensive repair bill.

Thanks for any advice

Ben

Yes there is a significant amount of oil change. When my mom was complaining about the engine overheating, i took the car for a week. Beginning of the week, the car's engine level was full, after a week, it was near low. My though was that because it was a old car/engine it was just burning engine oil. There was a power steering fluid leakage about 6 months ago, but i got that fix. Engine do over heat often, and my mom always complain about this weird smell from the engine after 20 minutes of high way commute.

Oil in the coolant, and overheating are two signs of a blown head gasket. Your mechanic should have asked more questions instead of assuming someone added oil to the coolant reservoir. I would suggest taking it to another mechanic, it is quite possible that you have a bad head gasket.

Many advanced DIY can change head gaskets, if you mechanic can do it is hard to say. How does the oil look on the dipstick? Does that look normal? And how many miles have you driven it since it started overheating? It may be time to look at a replacement engine, and not just new head gaskets.

Many advanced DIY can change head gaskets, if you mechanic can do it is hard to say. How does the oil look on the dipstick? Does that look normal? And how many miles have you driven it since it started overheating? It may be time to look at a replacement engine, and not just new head gaskets.

Sorry for not responding quicker, I just had a oil change. The oil looks normal before and after the oil change. I don't really know how long the car has been driven with the overheating problem b/c i do not drive it, my mom does. For the week i had the car, it did not seem as if the car is extremely over heating. I can feel heat coming from the vents, but after i turn on the fan w/o ac running, it seemed fine. I just check my coolant tank today, and its empty, and i refill it about 5 days ago. Seems like i am either leaking or burning it. And i am looking for another mechanic.

I am also going to do a coolant system flush and see if that helps. If the oil is still coming into the tank ill probably end up having my new or old mechanic check and fix it. I really want to know what is wrong with the car before i take it to the shop b/c i really don't want to be rip off.