Hvac Odor

Have 2010 RX350 with 18,000 km and experiencing intermittent very foul smell from HVAC system. The dealer says it could be mould on the evaporator or the evaporator drain is clogged or both. Smell doesn't start until RX is at operating temperature. Auto sensing mode that is supposed to detect harmful substances in outside air does switch to re-circulation mode but only reduces odor.

Smell can be so bad that I have to turn off HVAC and open the windows.

Lexus USA has issued a TISB L-SB-0068-09 dated June 2,2009 which does cover the change of evaporator sub-assembly on 2007-2009 RX350. I've been told that 2010 RX350 has same evaporator as 2009 RX350 but haven't been able to confirm it. All RX350's for past 3 or 4 model years have been made in Canada and all major components are same for RX350 sold in both countries. For some reason Lexus Canada doesn't like to acknowledge Lexus USA TSIB even with all RX350's being built in Canada.

It's been 4 weeks and dealer and Lexus haven't decided on remedy. Not what you expect from Lexus.

Have 2010 RX350 with 18,000 km and experiencing intermittent very foul smell from HVAC system. The dealer says it could be mould on the evaporator or the evaporator drain is clogged or both. Smell doesn't start until RX is at operating temperature. Auto sensing mode that is supposed to detect harmful substances in outside air does switch to re-circulation mode but only reduces odor.

Lexus USA has issued a TISB L-SB-0068-09 dated June 2,2009 which does cover the change of evaporator sub-assembly on 2007-2009 RX350. I've been told that 2010 RX350 has same evaporator as 2009 RX350 but haven't been able to confirm it. All RX350's for past 3 or 4 model years have been made in Canada and all major components are same for RX350 sold in both countries. For some reason Lexus Canada doesn't like to acknowledge Lexus USA TSIB even with all RX350's being built in Canada.

It's been 4 weeks and dealer and Lexus haven't decided on remedy. Not what you expect from Lexus.

I have everyone around here trained to turn off the A/C for that last two minutes of driving and blow non-A/C air through the evaporator. Seems to work on the Ford truck and all the RXs weve owned. I suspect that once your car is poluted with mold my prophylactic won't work.

• 1 month later...

Tomcan,

Texaco Express Lube has a treatment for the AC evaporator that eliminates mold and odor. Surely Lexus has access to a similar evaporator fix. Nevertheless, to be getting odor at such a low mileage, may indicate a moisture drainage problem in the evaporator chamber. Good Luck.....Luke

• 2 months later...

I had a similar issue with mine at around 8,000km - dealer gave me the same explanation they gave you and suggested I replace some filters for $50 a pop. I couldn't understand how with such low mileage this could be the cause, but needless to say I wasn't going to spend a couple hundred dollars trying to replace filters on such a new vehicle.

The smell actually stopped happening after a few weeks - not sure what that's about, but hang in there a bit longer and see if yours goes away too?