Dealer Or Local Mechanic

tominyous

My 2000 LS 400 is due for it's first major service . I'm wondering if going to the dealer is the best option here or to my local mechanic to have the service performed? My brakes were recently replaced at the dealer to the tune of $700.00. Any help here is appreciated !!

We'll, we all want to save $; however, I have always opted to have any major service done at dealer. I believe in the long run, it provides a higher resell value to a potential buyer who can review records at any Lexus dealership. There is something to be said about ability to review all maintenance and service on a pre-owned vehicle. Just my 2 cents worth.

Gosh, this is a tough question -- there are lots of factors to consider. I plan to take my 2000 LS to the dealer for service only until the warranty expires late this summer. I want to be absolutely sure that, if there are any "product improvement programs" (i.e. fixing things that are likely to break in the future), that all the work gets done during the warranty period. I took my first LS to the dealer too during the warranty period. Although there seems to be fewer bugs in these cars than in the early days, I suspect that some non-maintenance, unrequested, free work is still being done by the dealer during the warranty period.

I've been fortunate because there have been one or more excellent non-dealer repair shops in my area that specialize in Lexus - and they have been owned by former Lexus service managers or service writers and all the mechanics were formerly with the Lexus dealer. The quality of work has been better and prices lower than at the dealer. And sometimes the owners and mechanics at these small businesses have become friends and customers.

The answer might also depend on how long you plan to keep your car. A buyer of a high mileage cars may care less that it was maintained by a dealer. It is probably more important that you keep complete records to pass on to the next owner. The records I passed to the next owner of my first LS even included every gas fill-up.

Although the free bagels, brew-to-order gourmet coffee, plasma TV's and sumptuous furniture in the dealer's waiting room are nice, I know this helps keep their prices high. I'm looking forward to when the warranty expires and I go back to my favorite independent repair shop.

I bought my 93LS from a Lexus dealer in Nov 02 and took it back to them

for service until the used car warranty expired. Now I take it to the Toyota

dealer that I dealt with for 16 years. They put in Lexus parts at Toyota

labor prices.

Don M.

;) ;)

some modern service shops are linked to the lexus database and as long as you keep the records of your service history, i wouldnt care less (as a buyer) whether it was serviced by lexus or an independent.

if you've got money to burn and absolutely need a loaner vehicle while your LS is being serviced, take it to lexus.

if you go to an independent shop, make sure they use genuine toyota parts! it's common practice for shops to charge you book price on parts then turn around and install cheaper aftermarket parts. you should get what you pay for, the costs wont equate when you figure savings on labor rate and being overcharged on parts.

It's a good thing that there aren't many aftermarket parts on LS :D

My 2000 LS 400 is due for it's first major service . I'm wondering if going to the dealer is the best option here or to my local mechanic to have the service performed? My brakes were recently replaced at the dealer to the tune of $700.00. Any help here is appreciated !!

So what did you decide? Or has it happened yet?

My 2 cents is your car is only under the powertrain portion of the warranty by now so If you want to save $200+ then go to independent shop. But, the indep. shop should be very reputable around town - this way it has the same credibility as the Lexus Dealer. That will be a selling point down the road with no loss of value....

Call the service rep at Lexus to see if there are any TSB's out for your LS - then you could take it in for those services.

The 60K service is all fluids and filters - how much are they quoting you?

My 2 cents is your car is only under the powertrain portion of the warranty by now so If you want to save $200+ then go to independent shop. But, the indep. shop should be very reputable around town - this way it has the same credibility as the Lexus Dealer. That will be a selling point down the road with no loss of value....

Call the service rep at Lexus to see if there are any TSB's out for your LS - then you could take it in for those services.

The 60,000 mile service also calls for replacing the Platinum plugs and the timing belt. After much thought I'm going to have this work done at the dealer. I'll let you all know exactly what was done and the cost. The service manager sais it would be in the $400.00 + range.

The 60,000 mile service also calls for replacing the Platinum plugs and the timing belt. After much thought I'm going to have this work done at the dealer. I'll let you all know exactly what was done and the cost. The service manager sais it would be in the $400.00 + range.

Actually the former service and mechanics representatives starting their own shop is getting to be a very common trend. Perhaps you should go through the yellow pages before going to the dealers.

I have 99 LS and the irridium plugs are good to go for 90K...

As is the Timing Belt and Water pump - they are 90K services.

Now, if they're only charging $400 for all the above - You have made a Deal!

Good Luck!

There is no way, you are getting all this for $400. The parts cost almost $400. It sounds like $1600-$1700 bill to me. I've been there, I know how much it cost. And you know what's hurt? They run your plastic through the credit card machine. Look in your yellow page for an Independent Lexus shop and call them up. Don't ask about the price first, ask what kind of service they offer and what invole in the timing belt and water pump replacement. Quality service is not cheap but it's cheaper than the dealership. I will end my post here. Shop SMART!!!!

JPI

100% agree eith JPI, are you sure they didnt say $1400? That would still be a good price from Lexus...

Here is the final tally on the 60K service....All fluids were changed as was all 8 spark plugs.... $300 Parts, $500 labor.... Belts were all O.K.... The dealers maintenance schedule that was given to me when I bought the car says they change the plugs at 60K whether needed or not...If I would have needed brakes you could double the $800.00... I fiqured since Lexus took care of my cracked steering wheel ( replacement is $2,100.00 !!!) when it was just past the warranty period ,I would give them the business for the 60K service.. This car still runs like a Rolls ........

I fiqured since Lexus took care of my cracked steering wheel ( replacement is $2,100.00 !!!) when it was just past the warranty period ,I would give them the business for the 60K service.. This car still runs like a Rolls ........

Glad it work out - always good to reciprocate :D

I just got my 60K done too and yes, the LS is one smooth ride :rolleyes: