Leaking Lower Egr Tube

billydpowell

My "new" 96 LS has more cabin noise than my others, I had it checked and they said it was the EGR tube leaking.

Has anyone else had this problem?

where did you get the parts?

the dealer said they would R&R the trans to do it.

I know better than that, just want to see what YOU have done..

looks like we can lower the sub frame and gain access to it.

any comments??

Couple months ago I heard an exhaust like noise and thought it was my EGR pipe. But it turned out to be a bent exhaust heat shield rubbing again my car's exhaust pipe.

I have the EGR pipe, that I rushed into buying, listed on eBay now. It is Lexus Part # 25601-50060, also the listing has the needed gaskets and the corresponding diagram.

Couple months ago I heard an exhaust like noise and thought it was my EGR pipe. But it turned out to be a bent exhaust heat shield rubbing again my car's exhaust pipe.

I have the EGR pipe, that I rushed into buying, listed on eBay now. It is Lexus Part # 25601-50060, also the listing has the needed gaskets and the corresponding diagram.

thanks, wish it ended sooner, but I am watching

FINALLY, your auction ends tonight, I really need that pipe. I plan on being your high bidder...

WELL I won it, mail it to me, thanks.

In my 95LS400 I just had the exact same thing happen. It was a nightmare, but once the shop I took it to replaced it (at $900!!!) the damn noise didn't go away! Come to find out, it was the rubber gasket that goes around the steering column at the firewall. Only cost $150 to replace that, which immediately fixed the problem. Crazy thing is that my buddy who owns the shop actually showed me the egr tube, and it was indeed split where it flexes, but that wasn't the noise after all! make sure you check that gasket before getting into the expense of the egr tube fix!!!!

In my 95LS400 I just had the exact same thing happen. It was a nightmare, but once the shop I took it to replaced it (at $900!!!) the damn noise didn't go away! Come to find out, it was the rubber gasket that goes around the steering column at the firewall. Only cost $150 to replace that, which immediately fixed the problem. Crazy thing is that my buddy who owns the shop actually showed me the egr tube, and it was indeed split where it flexes, but that wasn't the noise after all! make sure you check that gasket before getting into the expense of the egr tube fix!!!!

THANKS, I will check it our tomorrow

While I had the trans out in my car today I changed the EGR tube. It was impossible to do without removing one of the studs at the bottom, and even then, the fit wasn't perfect. Pain in the neck to do, unfathomable with the trans still in the car.

While I had the trans out in my car today I changed the EGR tube. It was impossible to do without removing one of the studs at the bottom, and even then, the fit wasn't perfect. Pain in the neck to do, unfathomable with the trans still in the car.

WOW, I sure hope you are wrong, I just got my pipe and gaskets saturday, hope to get it in next week, will try to take some photos, IF SUCCESSFUL, or warnings if not....

Pray for me and my nephew, Jon (he does most of the physical work, I am just a guide).

THANKS, I will check it our tomorrow

mine seems to be ok, it is not real noisy inside, just a noise that I dont/didnt hear on my others, in fact it is when I accelerate that is sounds off, like when we used to turn our air filter cover upside down to let more air into the Carburetor... most of y'all wont know what I am talking about.. but that is the sound..

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that tip. I have a 99 that has noticeably more cabin noise since I had the steering rack rebuilt. I also have a 98 whose cabin is quieter than the 99's, and so I know something is wrong. Maybe the noise is from that gasket being misplaced or damaged when the steering work was done. I don't think the 99 LS400 has an EGR pipe. I will check out the gasket.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that tip. I have a 99 that has noticeably more cabin noise since I had the steering rack rebuilt. I also have a 98 whose cabin is quieter than the 99's, and so I know something is wrong. Maybe the noise is from that gasket being misplaced or damaged when the steering work was done. I don't think the 99 LS400 has an EGR pipe. I will check out the gasket.

I finally had my indy mechanic replace the rubber gaskets around the steering column in my 99. There are two parts that I had to order, one of the gaskets fits on the engine compartment side of the firewall (Lexus OEM part no. 45025-50040) and the other fits on the interior cabin side (Lexus OEM part no. 45026-40010). This repair cured the interior cabin noise that apparently sounds like the noises described above from a bad egr tube and it also cured a slight vibration that I was feeling in the steering wheel at idle. Only the inside gasket was bad (torn), but the tear was located on an interior portion of it that can't be seen unless the part is removed from the steering column. Anyway, now our 99 is quiet like our 98.