Help! With Tuneup And Check Engine Light!

LEXLVR07

I am thinking of doing a tune up on the l.s and I was wondering if you guys have ever done the tune up on your own. My car has 190,000 miles on it and I have done regular maintenance but have not changed the timing belt and I know thats next on the list.. but first i will do the basic tune up.. I know that I need spark plugs the pcv valve, rotor, cap and gas filter. I have changed the oil and tranny fluid and the air filter already so theres no need to do that. I also have a check engine light on and I went out and bought one of those code readers and have read the code and it says I need an o2 sensor. i have seen one on ebay but i dont know if that sensor will be the right one and will get rid of the check engine light so if any of you guys have any more info on that issue as well It would be highly appreciated. The car drives great!! I cant complain but as far as fuel economy goes its not that great at all I think I get about 17 miles per gallon and I heard that you can get more fuel economy once the tune up is done and the o2 sensor is gone.. so I cant wait to get all these things done. I am going to try to do the tuneup as much as I can on my own but as far as the 02 sensor first off I dont know if the one on ebay is the right one because it gives a code on the scanner and when i look up the code the code says something about it being in a bank and I have to find the right one for that I guess. So if any of you guys have info on the tuneup and the 02 sensor please let me know. Thank you all in advance and I look forward to your response!!

you might want to add plug wires to your tune up list. Check out lexls.com and click on tutorials they have info on all the proceedures you mention. The code you got from the CEL should tell you which o2 sensor is hanivg problems. you can check that out on lexls as well. Good luck

I am thinking of doing a tune up on the l.s and I was wondering if you guys have ever done the tune up on your own. My car has 190,000 miles on it and I have done regular maintenance but have not changed the timing belt and I know thats next on the list.. but first i will do the basic tune up.. I know that I need spark plugs the pcv valve, rotor, cap and gas filter. I have changed the oil and tranny fluid and the air filter already so theres no need to do that. I also have a check engine light on and I went out and bought one of those code readers and have read the code and it says I need an o2 sensor. i have seen one on ebay but i dont know if that sensor will be the right one and will get rid of the check engine light so if any of you guys have any more info on that issue as well It would be highly appreciated. The car drives great!! I cant complain but as far as fuel economy goes its not that great at all I think I get about 17 miles per gallon and I heard that you can get more fuel economy once the tune up is done and the o2 sensor is gone.. so I cant wait to get all these things done. I am going to try to do the tuneup as much as I can on my own but as far as the 02 sensor first off I dont know if the one on ebay is the right one because it gives a code on the scanner and when i look up the code the code says something about it being in a bank and I have to find the right one for that I guess. So if any of you guys have info on the tuneup and the 02 sensor please let me know. Thank you all in advance and I look forward to your response!!

Good luck..I looked at my 1992 Ls and can't even see where the spark plugs go!

the wires are under the small black grill looking plates. Very easy to remove.

Yes Thanks for the good luck guys. I forgot to add wires I did know you should change the wires as well when you are changing plugs. Do you guys know of a good cheap parts place since I called up peop boys and Auto barn and they want 12o bucks for wires.... so far I have bought the plugs I bought the bosch platinum thats what the guy recommended I hope those are the best for the car!!!

you might want to add plug wires to your tune up list. Check out lexls.com and click on tutorials they have info on all the proceedures you mention. The code you got from the CEL should tell you which o2 sensor is hanivg problems. you can check that out on lexls as well. Good luck

THanks Killerfatty!!!

Good luck..I looked at my 1992 Ls and can't even see where the spark plugs go!

Thanks Wuzzy!!

Props for wanting to become a DIY! :cheers: Now don't get offended or misinterpret what I'm going to suggest here. Although none of what you've listed is difficult, if this is your first time for doing most of these, I'd suggest you find a good tech, either someone who has done work for you before or recommended to you. Give him your list and ask him to do it with you as an unpaid apprentice. In other words, you're paying him to give you a working tutorial. You will not only learn things the easy way, but also the right way. Along the way, you can ask questions for anything you'd like expained. Believe it or not, there are techs out there who like mentoring and would likely teach mechanics if they could afford to. It will also take you a hella less time and you won't need a bottle of aspirin. The next time you'll be able to do it all by your lonesome. Believe me, there's no feeling like doing a job confidently and the satisfaction of having done it right. Keeping it smooth, but keeping it real!

Aawww come on just wing it. You cant do too much damage. JUST KIDDING try to find some one to help or if you do do it on your own take your time.

best place for OEM parts is www.parts.com

best place for plugs and wires sparkplugs.com

cheapest place for non OE parts autozone, advance auto, or O'reilly auto. all have websites you can check out too.

what you feel should be OEM and what you feel can be not excessevily overpriced and over rated is up to you and only you.

I have heard mixed reviews about Bosch platinum plugs, but if you already have them I wouldn't worry. The most recomended for these cars are iridium plugs either Bosch or NGK work great.

BTW you can quote multiple people in one post by simply clicking the quote button in the bottom right of all the posts you want to quote and then click the add reply button.

Props for wanting to become a DIY! :cheers: Now don't get offended or misinterpret what I'm going to suggest here. Although none of what you've listed is difficult, if this is your first time for doing most of these, I'd suggest you find a good tech, either someone who has done work for you before or recommended to you. Give him your list and ask him to do it with you as an unpaid apprentice. In other words, you're paying him to give you a working tutorial. You will not only learn things the easy way, but also the right way. Along the way, you can ask questions for anything you'd like expained. Believe it or not, there are techs out there who like mentoring and would likely teach mechanics if they could afford to. It will also take you a hella less time and you won't need a bottle of aspirin. The next time you'll be able to do it all by your lonesome. Believe me, there's no feeling like doing a job confidently and the satisfaction of having done it right. Keeping it smooth, but keeping it real!

You know what I was always thinkin of doing that but.... alot of these guys dont really want to teach you their skill so I figured why not just try myself and if i screw up what the hell I will just call one of em over my house and tell them to fix whatever i did wrong.. you know but I really do understand what your sayin.. it makes a lot of sense.. Thanks for takin the time out!!!!!

Aawww come on just wing it. You cant do too much damage. JUST KIDDING try to find some one to help or if you do do it on your own take your time.

best place for OEM parts is www.parts.com

best place for plugs and wires sparkplugs.com

cheapest place for non OE parts autozone, advance auto, or O'reilly auto. all have websites you can check out too.

what you feel should be OEM and what you feel can be not excessevily overpriced and over rated is up to you and only you.

I have heard mixed reviews about Bosch platinum plugs, but if you already have them I wouldn't worry. The most recomended for these cars are iridium plugs either Bosch or NGK work great.

BTW you can quote multiple people in one post by simply clicking the quote button in the bottom right of all the posts you want to quote and then click the add reply button.

Thanks guys I will let you know what happens. I am going to attempt doing it myself but if i dont feel like I know what the hell I am doing I will just call up my indy!!!

Ok guys heres an update of the tuneup process.. I have been looking around for the parts and so far pep boys and auto zones prices are pretty good but as far as quality goes I have no clue.. so heres where I need your help.

here are the parts that I need and what the prices are Please tell me if you know of a cheaper parts place and of better quality or should i just get these parts from here. Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

this is from autozone

Pcv valve -3.99

dist cap-19.99

rotor-8.99

fuel filter 27.59 this is a little more expensive here for some reason I dunno but r and s strauss is selling for 13.49 and so far thats the cheapest!

spark plug wire set. there are 2 being offered 1 is bosch and the price is 109.99 and the other is duralast and the price is 90.99

and I have the spark plugs which i purchased from auto barn bosch platinum. btw most of these parts are duralast is that of good quality?

The air fliter is new so I dont need that.

As far as the check engine light goes, that goes away when I disconnect the negative terminal and put it back but after a couple of days its back again so i have to change that damn sensor. when I put the odb scanner on it it comes up that the 02 sensor is bad and there is one on ebay which I am thinking of getting for like 20 bucks but I dont know if thats the right one.

So please let me know if these prices are good and I should get them here or is there a better place. Thanks again!!!

I also was wondering is it ok to use bosch platinum plugs and use ngk wires??? since I saw a set for like 80 bucks I was wondering if that would be ok or just get the bosch wires instead??

So thats the update. Talk to you guys soon!! and thanks for all your help!!!

:wacko: