White Smoke From Exhaust On Startup

JWhite

Spelling and grammar errors aside, you should get an ODB-II reader or take it to a place that has one to see if you have any codes.

@curiousB, I guess we just have to put on our decipher caps.

• 1 month later...

had the same problem of smoking at startup only.....also you will notice you are probably having a slow power steering leak......turns out there is a valve on the power steering that goes bad......lexus charged me 150.00 for replacement, problem solved.......

Hi my is blown out wen I start it up but not white smooke blue smooke I had the engine rebuld but it stil smooke I have to refilled the powestering unit with atf every week and every time I refilled it mor smoke come out

• 2 years later...

So I recently just bought a 90 ls400 and I had this problem of white smoke alsoafter I plugged both of the exhaust and intake lines on the manifold I started having an idle problem at low speeds to the point of where it would die tonight when I drove home from work it died twice and started back up but it seemed kinda sluggish and even would jerk while I was accelerating anyways can anyone help me out with an idea on how to fix this ? Please and thank you

Welcome, Troy!

If the problems began with the plugging of those lines to the manifold, I would 'unplug' them, go back to the original setup and see if the problem goes away. Sure, the white smoke may return but maybe plugging the lines is causing other problems. Just a first step in gathering clues as to the root cause of the problem.

• 1 month later...

So I recently just bought a 90 ls400 and I had this problem of white smoke alsoafter I plugged both of the exhaust and intake lines on the manifold I started having an idle problem at low speeds to the point of where it would die tonight when I drove home from work it died twice and started back up but it seemed kinda sluggish and even would jerk while I was accelerating anyways can anyone help me out with an idea on how to fix this ? Please and thank you

I plugged these lines for a few weeks while awaiting for the replacement. Although I noticed the difference was small, I thought the engineers came up the design for a reason. In your case, increase the idle rpm a bit may solve the issue.

On the power steering pump is a black valve which screws in. It has two black vacuum line connectors on it which are the origin point of the two vacuum lines on the manifold you are capping. It will not alter the performance of the vehicle in any way and is not related UNLESS you did not seal the vacuum lines securely. You must cap and seal both the lines and the connection points or your car will run horribly. In lieu of capping the lines, it might be a good idea to remove the valve from the PS pump and thread a matching thread bolt. I did find the same valve at the junkyard which I used in the LS400 previously owned.

• 7 years later...

Hey, I have a 1994 Lexus 400LS approx. 200,000 miles. Upon start up it runs rough and blows white smoke. After it idles a bit the smoke clears up and it runs more smoothly. It has been on diagnostics OBD1, twice within the last month, nothing shows up. It wasn't always starting, batt is good, but had new cables installed. Any ideas or help? 

White smoke indicates at best, moisture which is typiclly normal.  At worst, you may be leaking coolant into the combustion chambers.

Have you checked your coolant level lately?