White Smoke From Exhaust On Startup

JWhite

95 LS400... Started cold engine this morning and the engine sounded loud and ran rough. I don't want to say knocking but it was loud. I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust. Engine oil level was fine and really didn't know what else to check. After about 20 to 30 seconds engine ran smooth and white smoke was gone. I remember reading a post about a member having white smoke come from the exhaust but cannot find it. One other thing. while starting sometimes it seems the started would whine before catching, but was told that when the starters go bad they don not usually whine. Might not be related but you never know.

any suggestions on correcting this? I seem to have developed the same problem. I have the manifold intake from the PS pump disconnected and plugged yet am still getting smoke. Haven't had much time to look at it but it is on my list.

do you have both vaccum lines removed and capped? There are two comming off the PS pump. One goes to the center of the intake manifold the other goes to the air intake chamber. The black air box connecting the MAF sensor to the throttle body.

P/S fluid leaking into the throttle body chamber sounds familiar as I mentioned I had read about this in another post, however would that cause the engine to kinda knock and sound loud? If anyone could put a couple pictures as how to cap off the the vaccume lines it would be appreciated. What do you mean by "The black air box connecting the MAF sensor to the throttle body."

post-76827-1268800466_thumb.jpg

Remove the two vaccum lines I circled in red. (ignore the two things in the black X's I got this pic off lexls) Then cap the lines themselves and the little plastic tubes they were connected to. Thats about it. Search for power steering threads there is a lot of great info all ready on here.

there was recently a three or four page thread on power steering issues. Club Lexus also has "The first gen power steering bible" thread.

Much less smoke on start up. The only function they have on the steering is when you turn full lock. They kick in the idle up vale which raises the engine rpm by about 200 to make it feel easier to turn. Mine are plugged and I don't notice much difference at all.

had the same problem of smoking at startup only.....also you will notice you are probably having a slow power steering leak......turns out there is a valve on the power steering that goes bad......lexus charged me 150.00 for replacement, problem solved.......

I haven't had the chance to cap off the vaccume lines yet but, I have driven the car three or four times and I have not had any problems. However, I did plan to cap thoes lines, but after reading other responces, I will flush the P/S unit out and add fresh fluid. By doing this does it mean I will not have to cap off the lines or is changing the P/S fluid just a good maintenance thing to do?

Replacing the fluid isn't goint to resolve the ACV leak. You'll still need to deal with that.

If you do replace the fluid, be sure to pull the solenoid down on the rack and clean the filter. (many posts on this too)

• 7 months later...

• 3 months later...

I just worked on this same problem. Heavy smoke on start-up. Using about 1 reservoir a week of fluid, but very little of it was on the ground. The ACV valve on the pump was leaking fluid into the vacuum lines.. and into the intake manifold. I found some old threads on this problem, but didn't like the fix...sticking a bolt in place of the ACV valve and capping off the vacuum ports on the intake. The part I didn't like was "Go find a similar bolt at the hardware store and screw it in place of the ACV valve". So, I took out the ACV valve.. broke off the plastic defective parts with a hammer and you are left with just the steel threaded fitting...the CORRECT THREADS and flare. Then, I silver soldered the port on the fitting shut. This just caps the well. Screw the fitting back in using a little bit of thread sealant to be safe and VOILA! No smoke, and no leaky. Take out the two vac lines and chuck them into the trash. Go to auto zone and buy the vacuum port cap variety pack for $1.99 and plug the ports in the intake.

The salesman who sold me my 92 sc400 said it would go 250k miles. I'm at 183k... 6 more years!

• 10 months later...

What happen if u remove the ship for the gear so u don't jhave to push the over ride button all the time Cus my car won't fi past 40 50 60 that's it then it go back down 1995 ls 400

bcuz she wont go steraight aneemore and u'll be on dah outside lookin in ceeing stars in yer iyes

K the the problem is wen I start my car its find I can go a 100 and mor then say like 30 mins latter it won't let me the mph drops down to 4o mph are lower it fell like my car is dragging I replace the tranmisson fiter and gasket that did not work

K the the problem is wen I start my car its find I can go a 100 and mor then say like 30 mins latter it won't let me the mph drops down to 4o mph are lower it fell like my car is dragging I replace the tranmisson fiter and gasket that did not work

You're not going to get any help with inputs like this.