Chrome Emblems Prices Cheaper At Dealer?

Marks_LS430

I just took delivery on an 01 LS430 but do not like the Gold Emblems, mainly because they clash with the chrome all around it! I'm generally not into all that gold Anyway and the Gold "L" in front is just took for me.

So I went to The Lexus dealership and their total price for all 3 emblems in Chrome (The L in the Front, "Lexus" and "LS430" in the rear) was just a tad over $100. I just saw a more expensive Internet price of $129. What am, I missing here? BTW How difficult is it to remove the old ones and install the new ones? Or woud you just pay the dealer their $85 to do the job right?

can I buy your gold ft one if an '01 fits an '93?

Assuming it is not tarnished as mine.

Don't see why not. I guess you just gotta make sure it fits though. The car was very well kept so I doubt that there is any tarnish on it but I'll inspect it very closely tomorrow for ya and will post some close up pics.

Actuallly try ebay...

I wouldnt pay the dealer to install them. They're more likely to mess up than you. Just use a overhead dry erase marker to masking tape to slight the "Lexus" and the "LS 430" emblems, the Lexus L's are aligned automatically by pins. Just heat the old emblems up with a hair dryer, pull them off, clean up the tape residue then peel and stick the new ones.

I'm with you on the gold, not my cup o tea. Since you got white though, have you seen the black pearl emblems? They look GREAT on white...

Actuallly try ebay...

I wouldnt pay the dealer to install them. They're more likely to mess up than you. Just use a overhead dry erase marker to masking tape to slight the "Lexus" and the "LS 430" emblems, the Lexus L's are aligned automatically by pins. Just heat the old emblems up with a hair dryer, pull them off, clean up the tape residue then peel and stick the new ones.

I'm with you on the gold, not my cup o tea. Since you got white though, have you seen the black pearl emblems? They look GREAT on white...

No, I wasn't aware of the Black Pearl Emblems. I could see where the Black L would look nice on the front of a white car - not sure about the rear though. I'd have to se what theyactually look like. Anyone have any pics of these? I guess I can always order both, the chrome and black pearls, and pick the set that looks best. But the gold has to go.

I'm a bit surprised that you mentioned that the dealer would screw up embem installation. Sure, stuff like that happens at Chevy and Ford dealerships all the time but I figured Lexus dealerships would have a reputation for doing things right, not wrong. Of course, I've never had to service my previous GS300 so I have no true experience with Lexus Dealerships.

Thanks for your input.

note that the 'Lexus' also has pins; these pins have plastic inserts in the trunk lid; the 'L' emblem has pins as you say--but there is also one small pin and its insert is much smaller than all the rest. If the inserts come off with the emblems, reinstall. You should remove the inside trunk lid cover and get a small punch and push the pins out evenly--yes there is adhesive also.

This is the safest way to get off without scratching the paint by having to pry up on a putty knife,etc

The LS430 does not have pins[at least the LS400 doesn't.]

tan- I dont believe there are pins on the "Lexus" on newer cars, I've seen many gen II, III, and IV LS's with removed emblems and there are never any holes...

Mark, They look great, I'd have them except they kind of wash out on a darker car...

I'll find you a picture.

The 1993 HAS holes. I installed new ones a month ago (mine were tarnished) ; but the "LS400" emblem did NOT have holes(most cars do not have LS400 emblems anyway).

Tough to remove without damaging paint or breaking the emblems unless pushed out. I was repainting the trunk lid and also not reusing or selling the emblems.

The '01 is 8 years younger so maybe the adhesive would not be as hard (dry) as mine !!!

I recommend pushing out and also using sharpened plastic 'Bondo' applicators (more than one).

I'm almost positive that the LS430's "LEXUS" emblem does not have a pin. I'd just heat it up with a hair dryer, then use some fishing line or dentalk floss to slowly "saw" the emblem off. Works usually on newer cars.