99 Rx300 Very Low Miles Getting P0500

android0103

Today is March 14th, 2010. I own a 1999 Lexus RX300 with only 21,000 miles. I recently got a "check engine light" so I stopped at AutoZone for the free scan and got "P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor". For the past week when I first get in it for the day. The transmission shifts at 3-4000 rpm.. much later than normal. It only does this for the first shift out of first and sometimes second gear. After that everything shifts normal. The check engine light will stay on for a day, go off, then not come on for another 3 days, then suddenly there it is again.

Again, the car is 11 years old, but since I only have 21,000 miles, would this be covered under any warranty? Would the speed sensor go out at 21,000? Could this be an electrical problem? Is there anything I could do myself to fix this? :(

This is my first post. I hope I'm doing this right. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

The speed sensors are non-moving parts so failure could be more attributable to its 11-year age more than the 21,000 miles. Still, if it is a speed sensor, it shouldn't break the bank if you have to replace it. Let us know what the final solution is. Lotsa luck.