Rattle In Dash, Windshield Or Firewall

rusciano

I have an 02 IS 300 E-Shift that two winters in a row has a temperature-sensitive and intermittent rattle in the dash and the dealership can't fix it after numerous attempts.

-It happens after the car has warmed up for quite a while

-Only in cold weather (silent in the summer)

-Sounds like it's coming from under the defrost vents or felt cubby on top of the dash, up high, just under the windshield, in the center of the dash

-Sounds like two quarters rattling against each other

The dealership has removed the windshield and the clips that are used for it's installation, they have removed the entire dashboard and insulated every clip or connection before reinstalling it.

Incidentally, the heater fan was replaced as it was making noise and the sound started some time after that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wow I hope someone can help, I have a new GS430 with the exact same problem. I have found some relief by pushing down on the defrost vents, but when it is really cold the noise continues. I almost believe that the defrost vents are made from too soft of a plastic and they contract in the cold and do not fit as they should.

It would be great if someone had the same problem and tells us how to fix!

• 3 weeks later...

They fixed it! Aparently there is a bracket that runs the width of the dash and is attached to the firewall. This bracket, when heated by the nearby heat duct would rattle. My Lexus dealership technician loosened this bracket, insulated it, and tightened it and the noise is gone.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an 02 IS 300 E-Shift that two winters in a row has a temperature-sensitive and intermittent rattle in the dash and the dealership can't fix it after numerous attempts.

-It happens after the car has warmed up for quite a while

-Only in cold weather (silent in the summer)

-Sounds like it's coming from under the defrost vents or felt cubby on top of the dash, up high, just under the windshield, in the center of the dash

-Sounds like two quarters rattling against each other

The dealership has removed the windshield and the clips that are used for it's installation, they have removed the entire dashboard and insulated every clip or connection before reinstalling it.

Incidentally, the heater fan was replaced as it was making noise and the sound started some time after that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have the same type of problem with my IS.. When cold & traveling on a bumpy road, my dash makes some clicking horrible noises.. (It's not vents)

Did you manage to see how big of a job it was to tighten up the bracket ?? Did they remove the dash or is it possible to do from underneath ?

It's not covered under my lasting warranty coverage.

Thanks...