Lexus Navigatin Vs Garmin

K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia--thank you, thank you, thank you for this topic. As a realtor, I've been a long-time Garmin user (my last one was the now discontinued voice-activated 800 series). Since I took the big step up in luxury from a reliable but older Toyota rav4 to the 2010 rx450h (love it!) I was looking forward to the built in Navi system. Then I started using it. At first I thought maybe I had missed a few upgrades to the system or something, but after reading your post I see that my step up to luxury hasn't included the most luxurious NAV system. Unfortunately I gave my old Garmin to my sister--heading I to Costco now for a new one--kind of ridiculous.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all what you're used to. We have built in Garmin nav in the Jeep, didn't have it back when this thread was around. My wife and I *hate* the Garmin nav, hate the interface, hate the route guidance algorythm. Absolutely hate it, but we've used the Lexus systems for the last 8 years and find them great.

I too am a realtor and use the nav all the time. 100% happy with the Lexus system.

We've been car shopping lookng at Audi, BMW and MB. After a brief time with each of their NAV systems, I have a newfound appreciation for the NAV in our 2010 ES350. Like any system it does have some quirks and shortcomings, but overall I prefer it.

I have a 2008 ES350 Ultra with Nav. I also have a Garmin unit. Each tells me different things. The Lexus Nav system gives me a running list of upcoming exits (On highways) and what amenities are available at each exit. I like that, the Garmin unit shows a different map and includes the speed limit and what my speed is. (My speed is black when I am at or less than the speed limit, but turns red when I go over the limit. I like that also. So I use both.

On Garmin, I like the speed limit notification, I like that fact that I can tell when a turn is coming up more easily; I like that I can touch the top of the screen and see all the upcoming turns. It's also easier to figure out which of several locations recently inputted is the closest to me (helps me as a realtor).

With NAV, sometimes when I try to enter a address or POI it won't let me put all the letters in I need to spell it, because it's decided it doesn't exist! And, maybe I'm missing something, but on the voice activated NAV, I can't input the name of a point of interest--only select from default names either "nearby" or "along the route" (once I've entered in an address). So if the POI IS my destination and it's not nearby, I'm out of luck.

Oh, well, love my 450H (though using the heat and a/c seems to put a serious dent in my gas mileage!).

No speed limit notification, but you can see the upcoming turns, if it won't let you input the name...the name isn't there. I've found if you have trouble getting a street name, put the city in first.

No speed limit notification, but you can see the upcoming turns, if it won't let you input the name...the name isn't there. I've found if you have trouble getting a street name, put the city in first.

Tell me boss, (SW), will the Lexus Nav - Garmin Nav. ever die, or will they each just whimper away from taking too many upper cuts in the 10th round?

Paul

I've had the pleasure of owning two upper end Garmin's over the past years, as well as three Lexus with Navigation. The Garmins have mostly been used in our Volvo S80 which has navigation, but is incredibly clumsy to use.

The Navigation package in the 2013 Lexus models, in performance and accuracy, is the same as the previous years models. That being said, and after doing some reading and research, my opinion is that the two products provide the same basic services with differences only in features, and operation.

NPR ran a story a short time ago regarding the complaint that automobile navigation systems owners swear that one is better than the other. This is true, depending upon how much the manf./ reseller spent on softwear goodies. But the one unchangeable fact that pervades all commerccial units is the accuracy or the proximity to your destination.

This factor is, and can only be controled by the triangulation of the satellite signal. And unless your in the military your destination point will not be any better than the Garmin or the Lexus. The hot priority for the military and commercial aviation, as well as civilan use is a major upgrade to the GNS, which is owned and maintained by the military.

Looking at the Lexus 2013 version, using the mouse versus the touch screen takes a little getting used to. For me, the whole package is very cool. But it's easy to take your eyes off the road for too long while adjusting settings on the Nav.

Paul

On Garmin, I like the speed limit notification, I like that fact that I can tell when a turn is coming up more easily; I like that I can touch the top of the screen and see all the upcoming turns. It's also easier to figure out which of several locations recently inputted is the closest to me (helps me as a realtor).

With NAV, sometimes when I try to enter a address or POI it won't let me put all the letters in I need to spell it, because it's decided it doesn't exist! And, maybe I'm missing something, but on the voice activated NAV, I can't input the name of a point of interest--only select from default names either "nearby" or "along the route" (once I've entered in an address). So if the POI IS my destination and it's not nearby, I'm out of luck.

Oh, well, love my 450H (though using the heat and a/c seems to put a serious dent in my gas mileage!).

I have the same issue with putting in addresses...Sometimes it makes me want to smash the navigation panel....Funny I can hit navigation on my phone and give a address and bam it is there and already directing me...What in heavens name is wrong with Lexus and their navigation. It should be friendly....