Lexus Navigatin Vs Garmin

K.C. Dia

Do the Garmins have hard drives or ability to store maps locally(just wondering)? How quickly does the map load, does it still take forever to boot up? Are the screens still tiny?

I don't know, I like the protable DVD player, it's convenient and feature rich, but I still would hook a more expensive DVD player for my 65" plasma. Even if it didn't have all the same features, it does not really get outperformed by the feature rich portable. Perfomance is not how many neat features it has, it is about how quickly it takes to start up, to load a location, to calculate and recalculate a route, etc. My Droid has the GPS as well with all kinds of neat features, but I still prefer the performance and the screen of the nav in my car. And, it does lower the volume of the music when it talks to you and I don't have to suction cup it to my wind shield!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the Lexus being better than Mercedes or BMW, that only means that Garmin is better than all three.

The navigation suppliers for Lexus, Mercedes and BMW are in a very different world than Gamin. Garmin is building standalone products that don't have to interface with the rest of a car's electronics.

Humm, so the reason that Garmin has more features than the Lexus navi system is that the Lexus navi system has to interface with the rest of the car's electronics. 1990LS400, you sound like a reasonable person, even with respect to my poetic license. Then please answer these three questions: (1) what part of interfacing with the rest of the car's electronics prevents the Lexus navi system from having an overide; (2) what part of interfacing with the rest of the car's electronics causes my Lexi navi system to underestimate the approaching street by as much as a block; (3) what part of interfacing with the rest of the car's electronics causes my Lexus navi to not offer turn by turn instructions to a final destination about 20% of the time DESPITE THE FACT that the roads and the final destination are visible on the screen (that's right, visible on the screen, not a road that is so new it is not on the map). Alternatively, what navigation feature that a current model Garmin Nuvi has that the Lexus navi system doesn't have because that feature cannot be interfaced with the rest of the car's electronics.

Do the Garmins have hard drives or ability to store maps locally(just wondering)? How quickly does the map load, does it still take forever to boot up? Are the screens still tiny?

The base maps on the current Garmin Nuvis are stored internally, but I don't think it is on a hard drive. If you need to store more maps locally that are not on the base map, i.e., maps of Europe or maps of Mexico, they are stored on an SD card slot on the side of the unit (actually a micro card in a SD adapter). The extra maps cost about $90.00. The maps on my Nuvis load in about 30 seconds, depending on the view of the sky. Many Nuvis have a 4.3 inch screen, one of mine has a 5 inch screen, which is nice.

The base maps on the current Garmin Nuvis are stored internally, but I don't think it is on a hard drive. If you need to store more maps locally that are not on the base map, i.e., maps of Europe or maps of Mexico, they are stored on an SD card slot on the side of the unit (actually a micro card in a SD adapter). The extra maps cost about $90.00. The maps on my Nuvis load in about 30 seconds, depending on the view of the sky. Many Nuvis have a 4.3 inch screen, one of mine has a 5 inch screen, which is nice.

I recently bought the update micro card for the wife's Garmin 660's for the RX.The micro card can be used on my son's Garmin 350 too.Very convenient.

The stock audio vs custom aftermarket is not really a fair comparasome, since the implication is that the custom aftermaket is expensive. In contrast, the Garmin costs only a fraction of the Lexus navi system, yet out performs it.

Plenty of aftermarket systems are much cheaper than optional sound systems in cars and are better. For instance to get the ML system in the ES you have to buy the UL package which is $4,000. You can put an INCREDIBLE sound system in the car aftermarket for far less. But people buy the OEM system...

However, using your example, let me ask you this. In my three months, I have discovered that the Lexus navi system will only take to my destination about 80% of the time. What would be your reaction a music system that 20% of the time said, "music is not available, please follow the bouncing ball on your screen and hum the song"! Would you still think it was okay.

I have personally never had that problem with the Denso systems...

As far as hating the Garmin, except for being built in, list the navigation functions that the Lexi can do that a Garmin Nuvi can't do. It will be a short list, if a list at all.

I don't have to quantify my opinion to you. Its just that...my opinion as your opinion is yours. I simply don't care what functions the Garmin has that the OEM system does not have...because the OEM system completely fills my needs and I don't like the interface of the Garmin system at all.

To me...any additional features are outweighed by how ugly it is. Mine has enough features...and isn't ugly.

However, using your example, let me ask you this. In my three months, I have discovered that the Lexus navi system will only take to my destination about 80% of the time. What would be your reaction a music system that 20% of the time said, "music is not available, please follow the bouncing ball on your screen and hum the song"! Would you still think it was okay.

I have personally never had that problem with the Denso systems...

I wonder if this problem is limited to rural areas in general or Mississippi in particular? Has anyone else had this problem.

[

To me...any additional features are outweighed by how ugly it is. Mine has enough features...and isn't ugly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sort of like a Glock. Let the Garmin take you to the front door of your hotel in Los Angeles and then to your restaurant in Santa Monica while in a rental car like mine did two days ago, and she will look beautiful to you.

I wonder if this problem is limited to rural areas in general or Mississippi in particular? Has anyone else had this problem.

Oh most definately. The rare times I have had issues like that are when I am traveling is much more rural areas. Around metro DC, and all up and down the mid-atlantic coastline I have never had any problems.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sort of like a Glock. Let the Garmin take you to the front door of your hotel in Los Angeles and then to your restaurant in Santa Monica while in a rental car like mine did two days ago, and she will look beautiful to you.

Thats why I have a Garmin, for when I'm not in one of our cars that have the Denso systems, loaner cars...when traveling. And it is very useful...but I don't prefer it to the Denso system...

When I'm driving my cars...it stays in the house.

Oh most definately. The rare times I have had issues like that are when I am traveling is much more rural areas. Around metro DC, and all up and down the mid-atlantic coastline I have never had any problems.

I wonder if the yearly updates cd will improve on this since a lot of my traveling is in the boonies.

Also, keep in mind that Garmin is in the business of building/marketing GPS receivers, so of course they are going to be more robust and feature loaded, because they are putting more research dollars into it,this also translates into lower cost to the consumer because they offer many different models to choose from, most car manufactures don't put that much investment/research dollars or emphasis in their Nav systems, having said that, they will get you to 90% or better to your destination, obviously the comparison between the two is not equal. The Lexus Nav system IMO is decent. Is it worth $2,500.00? No, it's all about marketing and what people are willing to pay. One last note, most auto Nav systems are integrated systems, meaning that they connect to other electronics/functions. The Garmin is a standalone system. So, there is a little more engineering involved with integrated systems. Yeah, Lexus is going to make us pay for the design and connecting the wires.... <_<

Also, keep in mind that Garmin is in the business of building/marketing GPS receivers, so of course they are going to be more robust and feature loaded, because they are putting more research dollars into it,this also translates into lower cost to the consumer because they offer many different models to choose from, most car manufactures don't put that much investment/research dollars or emphasis in their Nav systems, having said that, they will get you to 90% or better to your destination, obviously the comparison between the two is not equal. The Lexus Nav system IMO is decent. Is it worth $2,500.00? No, it's all about marketing and what people are willing to pay. One last note, most auto Nav systems are integrated systems, meaning that they connect to other electronics/functions. The Garmin is a standalone system. So, there is a little more engineering involved with integrated systems. Yeah, Lexus is going to make us pay for the design and connecting the wires.... <_<

Great points. :cheers:

• 11 months later...

I'm a new owner, while still glowing from the 'touch of class' I'm ashamed to tell my wife that the super vehicle on which I convinced her we should spend the extra money has a nav system inferior to the old Garmin GPS. I was going to give that away, and thankfully I kept it. This weekend, visiting a friend in the burbs, (not in the sticks, he has lived there 3 years) I had to google map my itinerary while no one was looking. Can anyone tell me, if I place the suction cup of the Garmin on the nav screen of the ES, will it hold?

To Lexus I would say this; As a company owner, I'm necessarily into marketing, and I know that the devil is in the details. A product can have fantastic engineering, but if the paint is blotchy, that last millimeter on the surface is the main thing your consumer will judge you with. And this is an age in which, when I enter something into my smartphone, it also appears in my office PC, my home Mac, and my iPad. This is an age in which technology changes every 6 months. Your maps should be self-updating, via wi-fi while I'm getting my oil changed. If you have a problem with the map people being a separate profit center, let me assure you that they are like an anchor dragging on the bottom. You need to do something about it or you will lose market share with the buyers of toys, which includes me and the entire male population.

In the mean time, if there is an update, now would be the right time to make it available.

I'm a new owner, while still glowing from the 'touch of class' I'm ashamed to tell my wife that the super vehicle on which I convinced her we should spend the extra money has a nav system inferior to the old Garmin GPS. I was going to give that away, and thankfully I kept it. This weekend, visiting a friend in the burbs, (not in the sticks, he has lived there 3 years) I had to google map my itinerary while no one was looking. Can anyone tell me, if I place the suction cup of the Garmin on the nav screen of the ES, will it hold?

To Lexus I would say this; As a company owner, I'm necessarily into marketing, and I know that the devil is in the details. A product can have fantastic engineering, but if the paint is blotchy, that last millimeter on the surface is the main thing your consumer will judge you with. And this is an age in which, when I enter something into my smartphone, it also appears in my office PC, my home Mac, and my iPad. This is an age in which technology changes every 6 months. Your maps should be self-updating, via wi-fi while I'm getting my oil changed. If you have a problem with the map people being a separate profit center, let me assure you that they are like an anchor dragging on the bottom. You need to do something about it or you will lose market share with the buyers of toys, which includes me and the entire male population.

In the mean time, if there is an update, now would be the right time to make it available.

The update adds little to coverage. Coverage depends on where you live. This link may work as it used to. Access it then click on map coverage. I think it shows that only about 70 counties were added to the U.S. in the latest update. If you don't live in one of those counties, the update may not do you any good. Check with your dealer. My dealer told me not to bother with the update. http://www.lexusnavi...n.com/index.php

The update adds little to coverage. Coverage depends on where you live. This link may work as it used to. Access it then click on map coverage. I think it shows that only about 70 counties were added to the U.S. in the latest update. If you don't live in one of those counties, the update may not do you any good. Check with your dealer. My dealer told me not to bother with the update. http://www.lexusnavi...n.com/index.php

I see you are from Canada. Actually, the updates for Canada, unlike the U.S., may be significate, check with your dealer. They should be able to advise you.

The "toys" in cars are always out date. No way around that with technology moving so quickly.

The money for the lexus nav system is also for the integration of the other systems..audio, phone, etc..so that helps justify the price a bit.

To me, the nav seems adequate, but it is not going to compete with he latest and greatest.

Apologies if these points were already made..have to go back and read each post completely.

off topic here:

Crossed the 5k mile mark recently and had them put the synthetic oil in..gonna keep the car for a lot of miles so extra money well spent, and now if I go for 6-7k miles between new oil, not a problem..loving the car for the first 5k

The funny thing about these three page 'free for alls' is that nothing is ever agreed upon; Nothing is ever solved; but a great deal of information is thrown back and forth, and it gives a bunch of guys something to do! LOL

I too have a Lexus Nav., 2010 version, and a 855 Garmin with voice recognition. Some of you won't like this, but...I like them both. Yes, they both offer excellent features and perform equally well depending upon their specs. I think the reason I like my Lexus Nav is that I did research before I spent the money to have the Nav package added to the ES. By asking a lot of questions and reading these forums I knew what was and what was not possible with the Nav unit.

The Garmin voice recognition is more accurate than the Lexus, but has very few commands available and of course is not integrated, so it cannot control any other car system functions. Unlike some of you, both my Lexus and Garmin 855 provide turn-by-turn directions. I would add that the Garmin is also guilty of not providing accurate directions from time to time when there are two right or left turns, one after the other. ( try I95 at 528 in Florida).

I didn't mean to say anything about features and comparisons sense that has been beaten to death. May all your turns be accurate, and all your destinations entered before you move your car!

Paul

The funny thing about these three page 'free for alls' is that nothing is ever agreed upon; Nothing is ever solved; but a great deal of information is thrown back and forth, and it gives a bunch of guys something to do! LOL

I too have a Lexus Nav., 2010 version, and a 855 Garmin with voice recognition. Some of you won't like this, but...I like them both. Yes, they both offer excellent features and perform equally well depending upon their specs. I think the reason I like my Lexus Nav is that I did research before I spent the money to have the Nav package added to the ES. By asking a lot of questions and reading these forums I knew what was and what was not possible with the Nav unit.

The Garmin voice recognition is more accurate than the Lexus, but has very few commands available and of course is not integrated, so it cannot control any other car system functions. Unlike some of you, both my Lexus and Garmin 855 provide turn-by-turn directions. I would add that the Garmin is also guilty of not providing accurate directions from time to time when there are two right or left turns, one after the other. ( try I95 at 528 in Florida).

I didn't mean to say anything about features and comparisons sense that has been beaten to death. May all your turns be accurate, and all your destinations entered before you move your car!

Paul

Quite true, although I think many of us agree that the lockout feature preventing you from entering data while moving is a drawback. I do like the fact that many other features are integrated in the Nav system such as audio, climate, backup camera and telephone. That alone makes the Nav system worthwhile. Interestingly, I was in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area last week on business and experienced my share of scary "turn left-keep left" commands on I95 from my Garmin 1490T. Fortunately, I updated the maps less than a month ago, so I didn't miss any turns.

Hi K.C.

You are so right about the exits. I'm not sure what the initial thinking was when they designed the exits for the I-95 system, but when your trying to listen to your nav and handling four lanes of traffic with a " turn right, bear left", and trying to look at the screen at the same time, it makes my palms sweat.

Paul

Paul

Quite true, although I think many of us agree that the lockout feature preventing you from entering data while moving is a drawback. I do like the fact that many other features are integrated in the Nav system such as audio, climate, backup camera and telephone. That alone makes the Nav system worthwhile. Interestingly, I was in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area last week on business and experienced my share of scary "turn left-keep left" commands on I95 from my Garmin 1490T. Fortunately, I updated the maps less than a month ago, so I didn't miss any turns.

I do not own a Lexes as yet and all of this info is very helpful. My question is with the Nav. option you also get integrated audio and climate control.With out Nav.how is the audio and climate controlled?

I do not own a Lexes as yet and all of this info is very helpful. My question is with the Nav. option you also get integrated audio and climate control.With out Nav.how is the audio and climate controlled?

Just like you would in any other car without a nav system.

So the only thing i would be missing is the rear camera. BTW: To what advantage is this camera when the car has rear sensors.

Big advantage. The parking assist, (backup & forward sensors) will sound at intervals from approx. 1.4ft. to 2.0ft. These sensors are excellent when you can not see behind or in front of you such as pulling into a parking place. The rear view camera lets you SEE a wide angle view of the area behind the car such as children, toys, other cars, post in parking lots, etc. However the view is wide enough that it distorts the actual distance the car is from objects on the screen. Thats where the parking sensors can protect you from hitting something before you get to close. The combination works very well together.

So the only thing i would be missing is the rear camera. BTW: To what advantage is this camera when the car has rear sensors.

Big advantage. The parking assist, (backup & forward sensors) will sound at intervals from approx. 1.4ft. to 2.0ft. These sensors are excellent when you can not see behind or in front of you such as pulling into a parking place. The rear view camera lets you SEE a wide angle view of the area behind the car such as children, toys, other cars, post in parking lots, etc. However the view is wide enough that it distorts the actual distance the car is from objects on the screen. Thats where the parking sensors can protect you from hitting something before you get to close. The combination works very well together.

Sounds logical. Thanks