Lexus Navigatin Vs Garmin

K.C. Dia

My latest rant. The interactive DVD which came with my 2010 ES350 describes the navigation system as the most advanced ever. What a crock! Here is how the $2500 plus Lexus Navigation system compares with a $150 Garmin from Walmart.

1. No override. No need to expand on this topic. Advantage Garmin. Then in no particular order;

2. Zooming while not navigating. The Garmin has a great feature which automatically zooms to a large scale and then automatically zooms in to a smaller scale when you slow down to enter a city. I have mine set to a scale of 5 miles while on the highway, and to 800 feet when I slow down below 40mph to go in a city. This means that when you drive into a city, the Garmin automatically reduces the scale so that the locl street maps are visible. Lexus engineers have not figured out how to do this. Magellen has not either.

3. Zooming while navigating. When using the turn by turn navigation system, the Garmin continually reduces the scale on the map as you approach the next turn, thereby warning you far in advance of where the turn is. The Lexus does show a pop up before a turn, but it comes very shortly before the turn.

4. The Garmin shows the speed limit of the highway you are driving on in the lower right hand corner of the screen. A useful feature in Mississippi where we have lots of speed traps where the speed limit changes from 65 to 55 to 45 to 35 and then back to 65. Lexus has not figured out how to do this either.

5. The Garmin has a 3D birds eye view option in addition to the 2D map. A gimmick perhaps, but I found that the 3D was useful in England in negotiating those damn roundabouts.

6. For English speakers, Garmin offers six voice options, American English, British English and Australian English in either male or female. I prefer the English lady. No such option for Lexus.

7. Turn by turn navigation. The Garmin will take you to your destination even if it is on the most remote gravel road. Despite the claims on the Lexus DVD that the navigation system will guide you anywhere, there are numerous places where the turn by turn navigation is not available. It won’t take me to my house even though I live about two miles off of a major highway on a road that has been there for 100 years. The Lexus navigation system even recognizes the road, but turn by turn guidance is not available. In the city of Cleveland, Mississippi (population about 14,000), I was visiting a doctor located in a hospital office. The Lexus only got me to within two blocks but would provide no other guidance. I was supposed to use the compass feature to reach the final destination (kind of like Lewis & Clark). This would be very annoying in a new city when I was trying to find my hotel or restaurant. The Garmin took me to the front door of my hotel in downtown Florence, Italy. That is impressive.

8. Accuracy. The Lexus system consistently underestimates where the street in front of it is, often by as much as a block. By the time that arrow is on the street, I am way past it. This makes knowing what street to turn on difficult, especially when the blocks are close together. The Garmin is dead on, accuracy is claimed to be around 10 feet, I won’t argue with that.

The navigation system is a major disappointment.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use a Garmin 660 in our RX and I like much more than the Lexus NAV.

I haven't used my '10 ES on any type of trip yet but when I do,I'll probably take the Garmin with us.

Set the Lexus NAV on the destination and use the Garmin for food,gas,points of interest without having to pull over to input.

It's a shame to have to do this for convenience with any Toyota or Lexus vehicle.

Another dislike of the Lexus unit is the radio doesn't lower volume when NAV voice is giving directions.

I've got a Garmin unit, and built in Navy. Sure the Garmin is more feature rich. But I tell yah, I will not buy another vehicle with out built in Navy. Its just way to convenient. I just can’t be bothered with clicking it in, clicking it out, plugging it in…

Maybe I’m lazy, maybe I'm not… But what i can say is that convenience is worth something to me.

I've got a Garmin unit, and built in Navy. Sure the Garmin is more feature rich. But I tell yah, I will not buy another vehicle with out built in Navy. Its just way to convenient. I just can’t be bothered with clicking it in, clicking it out, plugging it in…

Maybe I’m lazy, maybe I'm not… But what i can say is that convenience is worth something to me.

Yes, but my point is that for the $2500 that Lexus claims is the most advanced navigation system ever, you should get at least the same features that you get on a $150.00 Garmin from Walmart. That's a lot of money to pay only for convenience. If DENSO had to compete with Garmin, they would go out of busines.

I have to agree with all the negatives that have been said about the Lexus Nav. I was sent an online survey by Lexus recently in response to my purchasing the 2010 ES350 in January. I specifically mentioned that I was not happy with the Nav. It is correct that my cheap Garmin does a better job, 3D view and all. I was trying to get from Mclean, VA, to Old Town Alexandria, VA, recently and my Lexus Nav failed to take me to my destination without causing me to take a wrong turn. Around the George Washington Pkwy area there is a cluster of roads that snake around each other and one wrong turn would send you somewhere else. I clearly remember the Lexus Nav telling me at one point to keep right. As the road veered to the right, it split into two. I remember having to slow down and deciding which branch of the fork I should take. Since there were cars behind me, I arbitrarily decided to take the fork on the right, but that turned out to be the wrong turn! It took me past the Pentagon and Air Force Memorial. I had to make several more wrong turns to get back on GW Pkwy to Old Town Alexandria.

Also, in the event of a wrong turn, my Garmin would say, "Recalculating...." to let me know that I, in fact, made a boo-boo. Even though it is a bit annoying, at least I know I did mess up and learn from the experience. The Lexus Nav, on the other hand, quietly corrects the route, giving you the false impression that you were following the route guidance correctly all along.

The Garmin guiding you to the hotel front in Florence, Italy is amazing! I would call it a miracle. Just got back and we used a BMW nav - it was terrible!

You hit all the points and I agree with you on the Lexus Nav. Another disadvantage is someone calling (bluetooth connected) while you are trying to find your destination via Lexus Navigation and poof there goes the map and the guidance voice. If you do push the Map button, you'll get the map back on screen but no voice. At least with the Garmin your guidance is not interrupted - no missed turns.

The Garmin guiding you to the hotel front in Florence, Italy is amazing! I would call it a miracle. Just got back and we used a BMW nav - it was terrible!

You hit all the points and I agree with you on the Lexus Nav. Another disadvantage is someone calling (bluetooth connected) while you are trying to find your destination via Lexus Navigation and poof there goes the map and the guidance voice. If you do push the Map button, you'll get the map back on screen but no voice. At least with the Garmin your guidance is not interrupted - no missed turns.

Not only did it get me to my hotel in central Florence , Italy all the way from the Airport in Milan, it also got me to the hotels in the following cities: Siena, Italy, Lucca, Italy, Stirling, Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland, Portree on the Scottish island of Skye, and York England. It also took me to the front door of an residential address in the Hammersmith section of London. The amazing thing is that in England, it has you driving on the left side of the road and guides through those damn roundabouts and tells you which lane to get in and which exit to take. I would never go anywhere without it. It puts the Lexus navigation system to shame. I have just discovered that the Lexus navigation will not even take me to my office in Clarksdale, Mississippi (population 25,000). It gets within two blocks and tells you turn by turn is no longer available and to use the arrow to find your final destination. The Lexus navigation system is a joke, and a bad one at that!

I agree the Garmin Nav is more feature rich...but personally all of that is outweighed by the fact that the Lexus nav is built in...I don't have to hide it when I park, and I don't have to stick some ugly mount up on my windshield in my new $40,000 car. I don't have to remember to use it...the map is always there. I have a Garmin and I don't even take it out of the house...

I've used the Lexus nav for 7 years and have it in two cars...it gets me where I'm going and thats all I really need a nav system for. Its all what you're used to. I actually find the way the Garmin changes the zoom level really obnoxious personally...and the speed limit...I mean...there are signs. It speaks english I can understand...

I agree the Garmin Nav is more feature rich...but personally all of that is outweighed by the fact that the Lexus nav is built in...I don't have to hide it when I park, and I don't have to stick some ugly mount up on my windshield in my new $40,000 car. I don't have to remember to use it...the map is always there. I have a Garmin and I don't even take it out of the house...

I've used the Lexus nav for 7 years and have it in two cars...it gets me where I'm going and thats all I really need a nav system for. Its all what you're used to. I actually find the way the Garmin changes the zoom level really obnoxious personally...and the speed limit...I mean...there are signs. It speaks english I can understand...

I agree that the Lexus nav system looks better, that is why I sprung for the extra $2500 for the nav system. However, my point was that "the most advanced navigation system ever" is 20 years behind Garmin. I have five Garmin units, the oldest is a 20 year old StreetPilot III which offers the same basic features as the Lexus nav system, (except that it will always take you to where you want to go, something which I have discovered to my disappointment that the Lexus won't do). You can turn the zoom feature on the Garmin off. As far as the speed limit signs, it's handy when you live in "speed trap country" like I do where the speed signs are designed confuse you. If they are only going to offer a basic navigation system, Lexus should say that "our technology is at least 20 years old, but it will take you where you want go to . . . most of the time, and will look good doing it."

I agree that the Lexus nav system looks better, that is why I sprung for the extra $2500 for the nav system. However, my point was that "the most advanced navigation system ever" is 20 years behind Garmin. I have five Garmin units, the oldest is a 20 year old StreetPilot III which offers the same basic features as the Lexus nav system, (except that it will always take you to where you want to go, something which I have discovered to my disappointment that the Lexus won't do). You can turn the zoom feature on the Garmin off. As far as the speed limit signs, it's handy when you live in "speed trap country" like I do where the speed signs are designed confuse you. If they are only going to offer a basic navigation system, Lexus should say that "our technology is at least 20 years old, but it will take you where you want go to . . . most of the time, and will look good doing it."

K.C., you have a very rare "20 year old StreetPilot III" considering that the StreetPilot III wasn't introduced until 2001. The only product Garmin was selling even 19 years ago was the $2,500 GPS 100 with an itty bitty monochrome screen and sold mainly sold to boat owners and private pilots -- it didn't do street navigation.

Garmin introduced its first automotive navigation product, the "GPS III", in 1997. In it's day, it was a really cool, if nosebleed expensive, device. The first StreetPilot model was introduced in 1998 -- big improvement over the GPS III but still crude by today's standards.

We also have Garmin products -- Nuvi and eTrex. Quite nice. I hope Garmin continues to do well. They are a big local employer -- started here in Lenexa KS ... headquarters are now in Olathe KS a few miles south.

K.C., you have a very rare "20 year old StreetPilot III" considering that the StreetPilot III wasn't introduced until 2001. The only product Garmin was selling even 19 years ago was the $2,500 GPS 100 with an itty bitty monochrome screen and sold mainly sold to boat owners and private pilots -- it didn't do street navigation.

Garmin introduced its first automotive navigation product, the "GPS III", in 1997. In it's day, it was a really cool, if nosebleed expensive, device. The first StreetPilot model was introduced in 1998 -- big improvement over the GPS III but still crude by today's standards.

We also have Garmin products -- Nuvi and eTrex. Quite nice. I hope Garmin continues to do well. They are a big local employer -- started here in Lenexa KS ... headquarters are now in Olathe KS a few miles south.

Give me a little poetic license on my StreetPilot III's age. I bought it when it first came out at Circuit City for about $1000. I now have a etrex Vista HCX, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 775T (which took me all over Europe) and the great five inch screen Nuvi 1490T. It's a great company and so is their customer support. Okay, so Lexus is only nine years behind the latest technology, that's still nothing to brag about!

Give me a little poetic license on my StreetPilot III's age. I bought it when it first came out at Circuit City for about $1000. I now have a etrex Vista HCX, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 775T (which took me all over Europe) and the great five inch screen Nuvi 1490T. It's a great company and so is their customer support. Okay, so Lexus is only nine years behind the latest technology, that's still nothing to brag about!

K.C., I hereby revoke your poetic license! Comparing a clunky StreetPilot III with the current Lexus nav is just plain weird to me. So how is that touch screen function working on your StreetPilot III? Is your StreetPilot syncing up OK with your phone and doing a good job of controlling your iPod and Sat Radio? How's your StreetPilot working with your steering wheel controls? Is the voice command function working on your StreetPilot?

Maybe I'll allow you a "poetic learners permit". ;)

K.C., I hereby revoke your poetic license! Comparing a clunky StreetPilot III with the current Lexus nav is just plain weird to me. So how is that touch screen function working on your StreetPilot III? Is your StreetPilot syncing up OK with your phone and doing a good job of controlling your iPod and Sat Radio? How's your StreetPilot working with your steering wheel controls? Is the voice command function working on your StreetPilot?

Maybe I'll allow you a "poetic learners permit". ;)

Okay, lets take them one at a time. Remember, the navigation system is what uses the satellites to tell you where you are and where you want to go. The other things bundled with the navigation system have absolutely nothing to do with navigation.

1. StreetPilot III took me to wherever I wanted to go 100% of the time. Lexus does not do that.

2. Okay, no touch screen on StreetPilot III, you win on that point.

3. Syncing up with phone, what does that have to do with the navigation system of getting you from Place A to Place B and relying on satellites. I did not say that I did not like all ot the options that are bundled with the navigation system, only that the navigation system itself is way behind Garmin. I think that every one will agree to that.

4. Controlling the IPod is also a joke, see my other posts on that. Has nothing to do with guidance with satellites.

5. Sat radio, available with or without the navigation system.

6. Steering wheel controls? What does that have to do with the navigation system.

7. Voice commands, also a joke. A total waste of time. I tell it to zoom in and it asks if I want to turn down the temperature! Need I say more.

My point is that the Lexus navigation system is far behind what Garmin offers. I think that most would agree with me. Except for being built in, what is it that the Lexus navigation system (and by that I mean what works on the global positioning satellites) can do that the Garmin can't do. The answer is zero, zilch, nada. Tell me what the Lexus system can do that the Garmin can't do. I will then tell you what the Garmin can do that the Lexus system can't do, although i think that my list is about 75% complete.

My point, KC, is that a built in nav screen is becoming an important part of overall car multimedia systems. If you had asked me a few years ago, I would have told you that I would never consider buying a car with OEM nav since aftermarket portable navs work so much better. Now, I would most likely buy OEM nav to get all the other features and particularly the phone and iPod/MP3 integration features. IMO, the future of aftermarket portable nav devices like those from Garmin is poor and that Garmin's main hope is to continue to make inroads into the OEM market. I doubt if it will be very long until you see OEM in-dash nav's based on cellular nav services like those from Google. Low end cars like Civics and Corollas currently offer indash navigation as options and I guessing in-dah nav will soon become just as common and standard as a car radio is now.

I think no one is contending that an In-build NAV is great. I think we are just saying that the Navigation aspect of the Lexus NAV system sucks compared to, say, Garmin's. I really HATE it when it doesn't give enough voice feedback before the next turn. All it says is something like:

- "In 1 mile, turn right on Foobar Street" (that's good)

- When you actually approach the turn, all it says is "Next right" (but there are cases where there are 2 right turns next to each other, or that right turn immediately splits into a fork, and it doesn't tell you exactly which one to take....this happened when I was going from McLean, VA, to Old Town Alexandria a few weeks ago)

I think no one is contending that an In-build NAV is great. I think we are just saying that the Navigation aspect of the Lexus NAV system sucks compared to, say, Garmin's. I really HATE it when it doesn't give enough voice feedback before the next turn. All it says is something like:

- "In 1 mile, turn right on Foobar Street" (that's good)

- When you actually approach the turn, all it says is "Next right" (but there are cases where there are 2 right turns next to each other, or that right turn immediately splits into a fork, and it doesn't tell you exactly which one to take....this happened when I was going from McLean, VA, to Old Town Alexandria a few weeks ago)

At least I assume it got you there. I just discovered that just because a POI is in the data base, it won't necessarily take you there. Yesterday, I had to go to Court in Montgomery County, Mississippi (population about 12,000). I hadn't been there in a long time and wanted directions to the Court House. To my amazement, the Court House was listed in the Lexus data base. Hell, I though, this will take me to the front door and I went merrily on my way. When it got to about a half mile from the Court House, the navi system said "turn by turn navigation is no longer available, stop in the nearest 7-11 and ask directions." No, it didn't quite say that (my poetic license). It said "use the arrrow and straight line sighting to find your final destination." Arrow, we don't need no stinking arrow, what is this about, nothing about an arrow in the manual. It turns our that when the Lexus navigation stops navigating and leaves you high and dry, a little arrow appears in the left side of the screen which apparently points you in the general direction of where you want to go. Pretty neat huh. That is something that Lexus Navi has that my StreetPilot III doesn't have. Of course it doesn't need it. :P

If they are only going to offer a basic navigation system, Lexus should say that "our technology is at least 20 years old, but it will take you where you want go to . . . most of the time, and will look good doing it."

I guess everybody's marketing is 100% accurate 100% of the time.

I mean...I would kind of expect Garmin's interface to be better than Lexus' since all Garmin does is make navigation systems. This is kind of like complaining that the stock audio system is not as good as a custom aftermarket component system. Of course its not. But it plays music well and sounds nice. Its all a function of what you're used to. You are used to the Garmin and thus hate the Lexus system. I am used to the Lexus system and thus hate the Garmin...

Go drive say a Mercedes or BMW and compare their OEM nav systems to the Lexus. Lexus and Acura have about the best OEM systems by far.

If they are only going to offer a basic navigation system, Lexus should say that "our technology is at least 20 years old, but it will take you where you want go to . . . most of the time, and will look good doing it."

I mean...I would kind of expect Garmin's interface to be better than Lexus' since all Garmin does is make navigation systems. This is kind of like complaining that the stock audio system is not as good as a custom aftermarket component system. Of course its not. But it plays music well and sounds nice. Its all a function of what you're used to. You are used to the Garmin and thus hate the Lexus system. I am used to the Lexus system and thus hate the Garmin...

Go drive say a Mercedes or BMW and compare their OEM nav systems to the Lexus. Lexus and Acura have about the best OEM systems by far.

Sw, I could not have stated an opinion better. B)

I'll go with the newer BMW idrive system over Lexus in a heartbeat.

No lockout with NAV or Bluetooth.Radio volume lowers when Nav instructions are given.

Lexus doesn't make the navigation system. Denso does. That is all that Denso does, i.e., make OEM systems. Maybe it should be Garmin vs. Denso, why doesn't Lexus subcontract out to Garmin?

This is kind of like complaining that the stock audio system is not as good as a custom aftermarket component system. Of course its not. But it plays music well and sounds nice. Its all a function of what you're used to. You are used to the Garmin and thus hate the Lexus system. I am used to the Lexus system and thus hate the Garmin...

[/quote

The stock audio vs custom aftermarket is not really a fair comparasome, since the implication is that the custom aftermaket is expensive. In contrast, the Garmin costs only a fraction of the Lexus navi system, yet out performs it. However, using your example, let me ask you this. In my three months, I have discovered that the Lexus navi system will only take to my destination about 80% of the time. What would be your reaction a music system that 20% of the time said, "music is not available, please follow the bouncing ball on your screen and hum the song"! Would you still think it was okay. As far as hating the Garmin, except for being built in, list the navigation functions that the Lexi can do that a Garmin Nuvi can't do. It will be a short list, if a list at all. As far as the Lexus being better than Mercedes or BMW, that only means that Garmin is better than all three.

Lexus doesn't make the navigation system. Denso does. That is all that Denso does, i.e., make OEM systems. Maybe it should be Garmin vs. Denso, why doesn't Lexus subcontract out to Garmin?

Actually, Denso makes an extraordinary range of electronic products spanning many industries: http://www.globaldenso.com/en/

Denso is not a specialty GPS navigation company like Garmin. Denso is a lot more like like Bosch.

As far as the Lexus being better than Mercedes or BMW, that only means that Garmin is better than all three.

The navigation suppliers for Lexus, Mercedes and BMW are in a very different world than Gamin. Garmin is building standalone products that don't have to interface with the rest of a car's electronics. I like Garmin for both its products and that it makes an important economic contribution here in the Kansas City metropolitan area. But what we are talking about here is an apples and oranges situation.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but the NAV (which is very similar to what I had in my '08 4Runner) has always gotten me where I wanted to go, UNLESS it is a fairly new address. It is my understanding that a given DVD system takes about a year to upgrade, so it is always behind the curve to an extent. Toyota's NAV systems are certainly not noted for their ease of use, unlike Honda's, but they do the job if you take time to learn it. And I love the other functions in the updated version, especially the USB integrated system for Ipod. Works like a charm, and much better than using the AUX input.