How 2 Turn Off Air Suspension Before Repairs

bwoods

I purchased remanufactured front and rear driver's side air shocks from Arnott. (They are both shot and my car leans to the left.) I'm going to have a mechanic install the replacements. I have read for other years' models that you should turn off the air suspension before it is raised on the rack. I have not found in this forum though where the switch would be on my '96 LS400.

Also, is there a set of instructions that I can print up and give to the mechanic?

Thanks!

I think owners manual says switch is in the trunk on the left side.

Only going to replace DRIVERS side shocks? Is this a good idea? Shouldn't you do an axle at a time, so do all 4?

Instructions? Shop Manual printout? .... oh, nevermind......

Hey bwoods, I think the switch in the trunk on the left side is behind the emergency kit, take it out and look.

The Arnott website has simple instructions to replace the FRONT shock. Lexus might have more steps, sooo

Go to GOOGLE and type in "96 LS400 Air Shocks" and scan through what comes up.

lextreme.com/ascon.htm has tutorial on replacing both front and rear shocks for a 90 LS400.

WOW, replacing the rear is a BIG JOB. Remove the rear seats, etc. Remember, in 1995, they redesigned the body to make it bigger and added $30K to the price, so only engine is the same. Instructions for YOUR 96 probably different.

Point is, learn more about the job. I would not DIY, but trust a mechanic who KNOWS what he is doing to a Lexus.

I would not DIY for dentist or surgery either, but I sure would ask dentist or surgeon if he has done any of these operations before.

Arnott idea of replacing air shocks with REGULAR shocks seemed good idea, unless you need to keep air suspension.

Other 2 air shocks are going to go bad, and the compressor from running overtime to refill leaky shocks.

Maybe you could return your air shocks to Arnott for credit on their 4 regular shock replacement kit.

Dont mind me, just thinking outloud . . .

WOW, replacing the rear is a BIG JOB. Remove the rear seats, etc. Remember, in 1995, they redesigned the body to make it bigger and added $30K to the price, so only engine is the same. Instructions for YOUR 96 probably different.

Removing the rear seat is quick and easy -- did it several times on both a 90 LS and a 00 LS ... 30 seconds to remove the seat cushion and 5 minutes to remove the seat back.

The base suggested retail price of the LS400 increased only slightly between model years 1994 ($50,370) and 1995 ($51,680):

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1994/1994LSspecs.pdf

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1995/1995LSspecs.pdf

It's the switch near the yellow label and no the torch is not for sale :D

The 1995-up LS400 is different from the 90-94. Instead of turning off a switch in the the trunk, all that is necessary is to turn the ignition switch off.

Attached is the relevant page from the 96 LS400 owners manual.

post-2157-1268231638_thumb.jpg

I also agree with not replacing them as a set being a bad idea. Any time you replace suspension components of any kind it is always suggested to do both sides as a pair, while you know the driver side shocks are blown how can you be sure the passenger side isn't a few days from it too? Anything under the car wears the minute you drive on it and since road conditions and such differ the shocks will all wear differently, so there's no good way to know the limits on the current parts. You may end up making the car even more dangerous to drive with a brand pair only on one side.

For the money I would eliminate the air system and go with regular spring on shock setups.

1990LS400, you da man. Woo-Hoo. I wanna post like you when I grow up. Nice thumbnail.

So, it WAS in the Owners Manual afterall, eh?

Anyone want to post the Shop Manual steps to replace front and rear air shocks?

I paid hundreds ($200 or $400?) for paper Shop Manuals for both my 94 LS400 and wifes 02 LS430.

I see you can get online download of Shop Manual for $400?

Well worth it to guide you for DIY...if it saves you ONE WRONG STEP...but I find it shows me process and why Lexus Dealer is charging so much...(I didnt know Timing Belt was so involved a procedure) AND, it convinces me to back away and let an "expert" do the work when danger is involved. Changing engine or cabin air filters and lightbulbs are one thing, but if something goes wrong with brakes, suspension, causes a wreck, damage to cars or people, wife can blame and sue dealer instead of me. I would never live it down and gotta live with the wife for the rest of my life.

It's the switch near the yellow label and no the torch is not for sale :D

The 1995-up LS400 is different from the 90-94. Instead of turning off a switch in the the trunk, all that is necessary is to turn the ignition switch off.

Attached is the relevant page from the 96 LS400 owners manual.

AH! Thanks. That's the information I needed. I looked in the trunk and didn't see anything that others were talking about. THANKS!

I also agree with not replacing them as a set being a bad idea. Any time you replace suspension components of any kind it is always suggested to do both sides as a pair, while you know the driver side shocks are blown how can you be sure the passenger side isn't a few days from it too? Anything under the car wears the minute you drive on it and since road conditions and such differ the shocks will all wear differently, so there's no good way to know the limits on the current parts. You may end up making the car even more dangerous to drive with a brand pair only on one side.

For the money I would eliminate the air system and go with regular spring on shock setups.

Yep, I know it's better to do front/rear at the same time. But the fact is, I don't have the money. So I gotta do what I gotta do. What's the alternative, anyway? To let it sit in my driveway inoperable. Not an option for our busy family. Having just one car running is killing us right now.

And I didn't buy a Lexus for spring shocks...I bought it for the great ride that it gets. I've read on this forum how some spring shocks are "pretty close." But I don't want pretty close.

But thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I have a strange problem with my air suspension on my 1999 LS400.

When I was changing my break pads in the rear I jacked up the car. The break wear indicator needed to be repaired so I soldered it together again and put it back in.  To check if the break wear warning light would now not come up I started the engine for maybe one minute.  I realized afterwards I should not have started the engine while jacked up due to air suspension controller settings going all bizar.    But.. now the air suspension light is not working at all.. If I set it on high or low nothing changes.  The car is now quite high in front and quite low in the rear. It is still driveble and feels pretty much the same but it looks a bit stupid. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and started the car again to have all systems setting up and resetting all. Also checked the fuse of the air suspension.  It didn't change anything.. Hi or low setting no lights switch on or off. Also no blinking light or other errors in the display.. Is there any other way to reset the air suspension? Anyone had the same problem?

This is what I found with a quick search. A member from another forum posted it.

With mine I don't notice any difference between each side. I misspoke in my last post when I said I never had a problem but there was one time I didn't turn it off before jacking up the front. After jacking it and then taking it off the jack stands on the drivers side the passenger side fell off the stand b/c it was leaning so much and then the whole car was sitting on the ground, I thought I blew the struts. What I did was put the switch to high, with the car running, for a minute. Shut it off for about 5 minutes and did it again. It was fine after that, leveled out perfect. Don't forget, if you ever jack the car up, make sure you turn it off first. The switch is in the trunk in the tool compartment on the left. I think it's the same on the 95.

19 hours ago, sha4000 said:

This is what I found with a quick search. A member from another forum posted it.

Ahh I will try that tomorrow. But I think this solution will not apply to my model. The 1999 model had no switch in the trunk as far as I can find. Also I can put it on High but the light in the dashboard would not even turn on. Saying its set on High.. Also no warning light or other message.  But I will try Anyway. Thank you for suggesting. Ill post tomorrow if it works.  Cheers..

Ok.. I checked today..   Didnt work :-(

I would first go to a dealer and ask to look at the shop manual and study it. If that is out of the question I would with key off bleed out some of the air on the high shocks to level it up and see if it self recovers then.  There is no such thing as a break pad that I know of.   There are BRAKE pads though.