Question-location Of The Key For The Factory Wheel Locks?

travelguy

I purchased my 2008 Lexus ES350 last year as a used vehicle and I have not had a reason to use the key to the factory wheel locks. The wheels have been removed and rotated at the dealership during a routine maintenance visit. The dealer has also removed my rear wheels to perform a TSB repair to the rear brakes. I mention this only because the dealership must be using my factory wheel lock key or they have a master key for all vehicles with factory wheel locks. My question and dilemma is that I need to purchase new tires for my vehicle and I have decided to take my car to a tire shop and not the dealership. In my discussions with the tire shop they have explained to me that I need to locate my factory wheel lock key. I have not located the key after searching and I am about to purchase a new set of wheel locks with a key and have the dealership install them if this is the only solution. I would appreciate any information regarding where I may be overlooking the key or confirmation that this is my only recourse.

Thank you in advance.

Ya gotta be able to put on a spare if you have a flat... Isnt it on the end of the lug nut wrench in the trunk?

Does Owners Manual in glovebox tell you where to look? Near the spare?

Thanks for the reply. I agree, I need to be able to replace the spare in an emergency or I would have to call roadside assistance. I had not given it any thought until my decision to replace the tires. I have followed both of your suggestions. The owners manual for the 2008 Lexus ES350 does not mention the factory wheel lug locks. In the truck with my full size spare there is not a slot or spot for the key to the locks. The tools and the lug nut wrench have a spot outlined in the trays surrounding the spare, but the lug nut wrench itself is shaped to remove the lug nuts, it does not have the indentation to remove the wheel locks. I was thinking I was overlooking the key to the wheel locks, but unless you know of a specific location I may have to have the dealer sell me a new set of locks with a key. I just trying to prevent the extra expense, however, it's my fault for not inquiring ealier. Thanks again for your reply.

Do you actually need locking lug nuts? If I were you, I would have the four locking lug nuts removed by the dealer (yes, they have the master keys) and replace them with four matching regular lug nuts ordered from rockauto.com for about $4 each. My wife's 2004 RX330 has four locking lug nuts (the key is kept underneath the cargo area along with the jack and tire tools). Her 2005 Jaguar S-Type and my 1999 Dodge Ram do not have locking lug nuts. Much, much easier to deal with tire and wheel issues without them, and we don't need them in our neck of the woods anyway....

Do you actually need locking lug nuts? If I were you, I would have the four locking lug nuts removed by the dealer (yes, they have the master keys) and replace them with four matching regular lug nuts ordered from rockauto.com for about $4 each. My wife's 2004 RX330 has four locking lug nuts (the key is kept underneath the cargo area along with the jack and tire tools). Her 2005 Jaguar S-Type and my 1999 Dodge Ram do not have locking lug nuts. Much, much easier to deal with tire and wheel issues without them, and we don't need them in our neck of the woods anyway....

RX,

Thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes you can become locked into thinking of only one thing. (Senior Moments) Replacing the locking lug nuts with regular lug nuts is the sensible approach and I really have no fear of stolen wheels. In fact I'll have the dealer exchange lug nuts when the car goes in for the recall. Also, thank you for the auto parts website. It appears to have everything someone would need for their vehicle. Good information and great suggestion.