2010 Ls460 Wind Noise

So far I lucked out on my new 09 I got last fall. I was surprised though because 2 other Ls's I test drove had the wind noise. The one I got is quiet. When I was test driving I first thought I was just being picky because I was so spoiled in my Phaeton which had double paned glass and shared the same chassis as the Bentley Flying Spur. I later read threads about this problem and don't exactly know why some are ok and other not, but they are Toyota's after all :(

Has anyone with a 2010 LS460 experienced the dreaded wind noise problem yet?

I own a 2009 LS 460 and have drivers side wind noise. It is horrible in an otherwise perfect car. I am going to the dealer next month to have them look at it. I sure hope they can do something. They talk like the problem has been solved before my car was built.

I own a 2009 LS 460 and have drivers side wind noise. It is horrible in an otherwise perfect car. I am going to the dealer next month to have them look at it. I sure hope they can do something. They talk like the problem has been solved before my car was built.

There is an extensive discussion about the problem that is likely causing the wind noise in your car. It is a lot of reading, so if you have some serious interest you should read all of it – 45 pages / 680+ entries.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls460-ls46...discussion.html

• 1 month later...

I had the problem in my 08 and had the door seal replaced (it had a small warp in it). AFter replacement the wind was gone. This was on the drivers side only.

Traded a 2007 LS 460L for the 2010 exactly the same model, color and equipment. Car is noticbly quieter, including both the engine and the wind. And smoother--perhaps due to the change in tires. The 07 had harmonic vibrations of the center console which they fixed, and came with a misaligned rear trunk deck which was easily realigned. The car needed new brakes pads at 12,000 miles, but when repaced with what I perceived were upgraded pads, the replacements went till the lease expired at 36,000. I finally convinced them to fix the harmonic vibrations after 18 months which they were able to do so with a 6 hour repair. The 2010 has none opf these issues. I did not think it would be such an upgrade, but it was. For those who are wondereing, the old one came off lease, and they offered me a very good deal on the replacement, which I purchased, or I would have bought the old one as it was operating flawlessly and with all bugs worked out. Three tires needed to be repaced for sidewall damage from nails and such, so with the new 2010 I took the wheel and tire replacement warranty. We will see how that works out.

I had the problem in my 08 and had the door seal replaced (it had a small warp in it). AFter replacement the wind was gone. This was on the drivers side only.

So far I lucked out on my new 09 I got last fall. I was surprised though because 2 other Ls's I test drove had the wind noise. The one I got is quiet. When I was test driving I first thought I was just being picky because I was so spoiled in my Phaeton which had double paned glass and shared the same chassis as the Bentley Flying Spur. I later read threads about this problem and don't exactly know why some are ok and other not, but they are Toyota's after all :(

Laminated glass is in all LS's except the standard. Your service dept will put Laminate in if you ask them to. I drove a few Phaeton's more like the LS 430 than 460 except more problems. If you want a Phaeton buy a LS 430 even more of a automobile.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you all know that the wind noise issue is part of the 460 design, to keep asking if it is gone is wasting time. All the dealers know that is will be gone with the next LS not this one. There are some problems with one of the gaskets folding over but other than that forget about it. Just like when the new C class came out they bitched about the wind noise but they got over it real quick the LS people not so much. Don't want wind noise don't buy a LS 460.

I hope you all know that the wind noise issue is part of the 460 design, to keep asking if it is gone is wasting time. All the dealers know that is will be gone with the next LS not this one. There are some problems with one of the gaskets folding over but other than that forget about it. Just like when the new C class came out they bitched about the wind noise but they got over it real quick the LS people not so much. Don't want wind noise don't buy a LS 460.

The wind noise is indeed a feature of some of the 2010 LSs too. But, repairing it is a 10 minute/2$ DIY project for most of the problem cars.

The wind noise is indeed a feature of some of the 2010 LSs too. But, repairing it is a 10 minute/2$ DIY project for most of the problem cars.

So out of all the dealers and Lexus corp you believe you have a 10 min fix. :whistles:

So out of all the dealers and Lexus corp you believe you have a 10 min fix. :whistles:

YES!!!!

Lex460 -

JEff in Tex is right. A DIY fix has been known for at least a couple of years. See jmcraney's fix on Club Lexus forum. He has been extremely helpful in providing directions to do the fix. Trouble is I am not a DIY type of guy and I am looking at a new LS460 later this year and am interested to see if the 2010 still has the problem. The fix isn't really a design change at all and I was hopefull that Lexus finally got it!! Seems not. In any case the bottom line is that not everyone has the problem, perhaps the majority, and it can be fixed.

Lex460 -

JEff in Tex is right. A DIY fix has been known for at least a couple of years. See jmcraney's fix on Club Lexus forum. He has been extremely helpful in providing directions to do the fix. Trouble is I am not a DIY type of guy and I am looking at a new LS460 later this year and am interested to see if the 2010 still has the problem. The fix isn't really a design change at all and I was hopefull that Lexus finally got it!! Seems not. In any case the bottom line is that not everyone has the problem, perhaps the majority, and it can be fixed.

Hi I know about the Jim Craney fix and it does take care of a big noise problem on a percentage of the cars and if you have wind noise from this area this does make a big difference. In fact I will post a fix like craneys but no metal cutting, this does not still make all the wind noise go away, so called hockey pucks on the front window sides may stop the cross wind noise but I for one don't want that on my car. the noise on my 460's in not detracting at all and I did the LEX460 (modified jmcraney) fix and I have been happy in fact all the cars I drive have had wind noise of some sort. I will post it with some pixs take your choice they both do the same thing fill in the gasket ends and seal gap and triangle holes.

This seems to be the bottom line.

Step one do the triangle seal up repair. If you are happy with the amount of wind noise done. If not go to step two.

Step two have the seals checked for fold over (rare)and drivers windows replaced with the Laminate windows. Still not happy.

You have what you have. Which seems the same amount of wind noise I find in any flagship auto.

This is also the experience of various insiders working for Lexus.

• 5 years later...