The Better Buy

skyview

:(

1998 81k miles from Dealer total cost $20.6

Pearl White exterior with Gold emblem on rims and trunk, tan interior,CD/Changer, complete service records, wood steering wheel, sunroof,

ps, pw. Excellant condition inside and out (like new!)

1999 79k miles private seller, total cost $22.5

Silver exterior with gray interior, Nav, Heated Seats, CD/Changer, sunroof, complete service records, new tires, small ding on door from shopping cart, minor scratch on rear passinger seat (must look very hard to notice).

Warranty until 100K. Recently serviced ... ($1000.00)

Both are local cars serviced by the same dealer. Plan to the keep the car a couple years and purchase 02 430.

Thanks,

In Advance!!

At the dealership It might cost a little bit more but you will know you getting a good vehicle. They went through the 128 points inspection and pretty much repair or service anything need to be done. Second option, bring your vehicle to a local independent lexus shop they will look over everything for you. Good luck with the purchase. You will enjoy the Ls.

JPI

I would definitely go for the 99 with the Navigation; Silver on Gray is great color combination. I personally hate white with gold emblem Lexus, they look really cheap especially this 98 doesn't have the day time running lights, from the side the car probably looks like an old Toyota Avalon. From your post I assume the 98 doesn't have a wooden shift knob, that's another $300. Plus you have to take into consideration the depreciation of the 98 LS it’s a year older than the 99. Personally I drive the 99LS and can tell you it’s a great ride.

The 98 and 99 are identical stylingwise, and the lack of DRL on the 98 is enough to sell me on it LOL, I hate DRL...

And personally I think white is one of the best looking colors on the 98-00 LS400.

The white 98 sure sounds like it was better cared for. I think the DRL's can be activated inexpensively - I place a very high value on them.

I thought it was interesting that a study in New Zealand found that silver was the safest color. (Do a Google search for "Car color and safety".) Or could it be those wacky guys just pulling our legs?

Back in the 60's, I let my sister drive my silver Mercedes 190SL (a terrible car but that is another story). While driving another car, I met my sister on the highway coming from the other way. OK, the 190LS is a small car, but the silver color blended in with the highway color on this hot summer day and made it seem almost invisible. Suddenly I realized why I'd had so many close calls when someone tried to pass on oncoming car. I started driving with my headlights on. And I never bought another silver car.

I have read that white is the safest car color except in snowy areas when it was 2nd safest and when yellow was best. But there is a lot of controvery. We now only buy white cars and my wife has now gone six years in her white car without getting hit - she got hit every few months in the dark red car she once had.

Nav would be fun although I told my friend "no Nav, no air suspension" when he searched for the 2000 LS that I bought recently. I was mainly concerned with the added complexity since I plan to keep this car a long time and do not know how long updates will be available. Heck, if Lexus phones that came in these cars are getting marginal or no support from Lexus, how long can we expect updates for their older Nav systems? If you want Nav, you could always add a Garmin StreetPilot on a bracket and you could take it with you. (Garmin - a wonderful company! - headquarters just down the road from me.)

Here is a recent photo of my both my current and first LS - both white of course.

post-4-1075668980.jpg

See, the car just looks great in white...

It also looks great in silver, my dad's 98 was silver with a black interior. Looks great in all colors I think except the champagne and that mint green (thats just because I dont care for those colors, it actually looks good in both of them)...

I also think that the 98 sounds better. For one look at the average mileage per year will tell you how heavily the car was used. The mileage is similar but the 98 is a year older, so the 99 means the car was driven roughly 15,800 miles a year, which is close to national average, whereas the 98 was driven roughly 13,500 miles a year, which is pretty low use...

Every color looks typically nice, when it’s well maintained but white doesn't match well with luxury sedans like Lexus, BMW or Benz. The best would be Black or second best Silver / Gray. My only choice was black when i was buying my Lexus.

skyview ..........

1st of all ........ you can't go wrong.

2nd ........ what part of the country are you in? ......... 'cause the "Heated Seats" are nice. Also the "Premium Sound" is just fine.

Soooooooo if your butt won't get cold ........ pocket the cash ....... Fly with the '98.

Every color looks typically nice, when it’s well maintained but white doesn't match well with luxury sedans like Lexus, BMW or Benz. The best would be Black or second best Silver / Gray. My only choice was black when i was buying my Lexus.

I agree, white doesn't typically look good, but IMO it looks great on the 98-00 LS400, dont care for it on the LS430 though.

I go back and forth on which looks best, silver or black. Theres a deep red too that is rare and looks great...