What Part Is This.....

skylolow

Got a small oil leak coming from the small plastic piece that comes out of the upper left side(going towards the front of the car) of I guess what you'd the oil filter housing. Where you screw your oil filter in. It's the only part that comes out of it and appears to screw into the housing.

What is this called and if anyone has a part number that would be awesome.

Thanks

I'm going to jack the car up tomorrow and snap a pic.

Every engine diagram I find doesn't show this part. I can't find a pic either of the oil pressure sending unit anywhere on the net. But I'm starting to believe that the oil pressure sensor is inside the oil pan. I found pics of the oil pressure switch and that looks very similar to it. But what I'm looking at is longer. But the ones I see on the net are aftermarket ones that maybe have a different design to them. A much better design then what appears to be on mine. Which has the screw in part and then about a two inch white plastic part going into the electrical plug area. Leaking in the plastic part.

I don't think the crank shaft position sensor is connected into the oil filter housing.

Anyone that has ever changed there oil has seen this part. It the only thing that screws into the oil filter housing(or attach).

Do you mean the the oil filter bracket 15609? Could be the gasket between it and engine block.

Nope it isn't that part.

In your diagram part 15609 (oil filter housing or bracket/whatever its called). There is a part that comes off of that, right in the middle that isn't in that pic. It comes out basically about NW side of the part and screws into the bracket.

In a nutshell that is my problems. Every diagram of the engine I can find doesn't show this part.

I'm almost positive its the oil pressure switch. It's the only thing I found that look even close to it. I think the desing has just been changed slightly over the years. Odd thing is with this dripping about a drop every 7-10 sec or so(from this oil pressure switch) when the engine is running you'd think I'd get a warning on the dash but I got nothing.

Oh well jacking the car up this morning and replacing that part. 180K in miles and no leaking gaskets ever except for this part. Gotta love Lexus. My BMW chances are will be lucky to reach 100K in miles without an oil leak.

Why would you think you'd get a warning?

Typical oil pressure switches on cars are simple devices, they trip when oil pressure reaches a preset point, say 8psi. As long as the oil pressure remains above that the oil can leak out any and everywhere it can. The amount of oil in the engine doesn't matter, nor does the age/mileage. Too many people assume an oil light means it's time for an oil change or to add a little, that has nothing to do with pressure. In fact your oil pressure is definitely good if it's found a way out of the engine by leaking, a lower pressure would not leak as readily.

..."I'm almost positive its the oil pressure switch. It's the only thing I found that look even close to it. I think the desing has just been changed slightly over the years. Odd thing is with this dripping about a drop every 7-10 sec or so(from this oil pressure switch) when the engine is running you'd think I'd get a warning on the dash but I got nothing. "...

Well if it is an oil pressure switch there will be a cable harness connected to it. You could go to www.toyodiy.com and enter your VIN number then you will get exact parts and diagram references for your car. You have to become a member to see the diagrams but it is no cost to join.

Thanks to all.

It was the oil pressure switch.

So I went to swap that out. When taking out the old one I was quite surprised with how easily it came out. Old switch plastic all fell off while taking it out. Quite brittle from age. So I looked a little closer and appear I had a hairline crack in the oil filter bracket itself. Well I put the new one in and snugged it up but not to tight. Filled her back up. Fired her up and she was dripping way worse. Drained it again. Unscrewed the switch and notice the crack was bigger. Took off the oil filter bracket and a chunk acutally came off where the switch goes into. So ordered that from the stealership. Only $140 with the gasket. Not too bad. I thought they would take me to the cleaners on it. Hopefully it comes in tomorrow. Otherwise Monday for sure.